Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:38 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,453,874 times

Advertisements

One of the strengths of SC is its integration, in most parts of the state, which is a world away from the segregated North, where I'm originally from.

Yes, there's racism/bigotry/whatever in this country. Down here, I actually feel safer, due to the values most have in this part of the country. I wouldn't let one incident be a total negative.

I'm from the wrong side of the tracks, urban, industrial North, so even as a white guy it doesn't faze me, much, when it comes to all manner of racism, yet we've witnessed no overt racial issues since moving to here. Is it around us? Yes, of course. Most people seem tolerant, and Richland County is one of the most integrated counties I've seen, in this country.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:21 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,084,053 times
I don't live in SC (yet), but as a social worker in Birmingham, AL who is always in the housing projects, and other "bad areas" where I am probably the only white guy within ten blocks, the reaction the poster describes is pretty unbelievable. I mean, really, who acts that way? I can see one idiot, but to say it was several, and in groups? Sounds like a scene from a movie made to scare white people, and based on negative stereo-type. Reality is black people are not caged animals, and typically act and think the same as white people do. They can be pretty, what's the word, "normal". Riots will not erupt if you eat at a Macdonalds on the other side of town.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:01 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,456,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
I too live in NE Columbia, Summit Subdivision. I have been here for about 3 years. I have noticed a change in NE. There have been more cases of young people, mainly black, some white, hanging out and making those that pass their way uncomfortable. Last year we dealt with graffiti on some walls and trash cans being turned over.
When my wife and I go to the movies at Sandhill, we will only go to a show that gets out before 7 pm, as after that there seems to be a large number of teens, again mostly black hanging out at the shops and on the streets, makes it a bit uncomfortable walking the mall or going to or from your car.
Yeah I lived here for 10 years and have noticed big changes. Yeah I dont think Alan Khan picked a good location for Sandhills he should have looked at demographics a lot more. I dont feel comfortable going to the movies or shopping in the evening either. I try and go during the day.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 AM

415 posts, read 2,335,152 times
It has gotten so bad in NE, that my wife will not go out after dark. She is not comfortable walking the mall at Sand Hills, to many teens hanging out ( over 90% are black teens ) , Richland Sheriff posts a car by the movie theater for shows that begin after 7 pm, but it is still not the place I want my wife shopping. Wish I had know more about NE, I would have moved to Lexington

Old 06-23-2009, 01:13 PM

Would it make you more comfortable if they were all white kids in Abercrombie clothing? Growing up, those were the ones I usually got into fights with. The black kids were pretty normal, and hung out in groups because they enjoyed social activities, not because they were up to anything bad. I don't know you so I am trying to reserve judgment, but is there a legitimate reason that black kids scare you, or is it large groups of kids in general? Has anything actually ever happened to you as a result of being around a group of black kids, other than feeling awkward and uncomfortable? I work in the city among black kids and adults as a community outreach social worker, and I have honestly not ever had any problems or feelings of discomfort.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:30 PM

415 posts, read 2,335,152 times
I was jumped by a group / gang of teens back in 1985, it was a mix of Hispanic and black, so yes I do get nervous, as for a bunch of white teens hanging out, if they appeared to be watching for a victim, yes they would make me nervous as well.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:44 PM

A lot has changed since 1985. I am sorry that you were jumped.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:41 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Where would some of you suggest teens hang out in the evening? My friends and I used to go to the midnight movies, not much different than kids are doing today. I've been out at Sandhills after dark and the groups of teens just don't bother me. If you treat them with respect they will return that respect.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:41 PM

Unfortunately, I think some people assume if a group of kids are together they are up to no good, and if that group of kids happen to be black it is ten fold.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 AM

343 posts, read 1,046,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
My wife and I bowl on a bowling league on Sunday nights at the local bowling ally. There are 32 lanes with 4 people per lane so that figures to be about 128 bowlers plus those that are just hanging out. Out of the aprox 150 people in the bowling ally I would say that there are 20 whites and about 130 blacks, a little lopsided if you ask me. Never felt like the minority till I moved to Columbia.
Blacks and Whites are actually about 50/50 in Columbia. A lot of White people are used to a much more skewed ratio. I moved from the Pacific Northwest to North Florida. Gainesville's 20% Black population was eye-opening to me. There is a huge difference between that and a 50/50. It's not a bad thing by any means. It's part of living in a large Southern city. If you're more comfortable in a more "vanilla" environment, you could always try out Montana or Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area