Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots View Post
How about the area north of Devine, west of Beltine Blvd and south of Trenholm, if you see what I mean. Is that a nice area? Does it have a name? It looks just like Shandon in Google maps, just one chunk north.
That is Heathwood, which is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city. A lot of people with old money live in Heathwood.

The area you asked about west of Harden is University Hill, which is roughly west of Laurens, east of Barnwell, north of Blossom and south of Gervais. It's a very nice neighborhood and intermingles with the University so keep in mind that there is a lot of interaction with college students there - desirable for some, undesirable for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,662 times
Quote:
A 15 to 20 min drive is ok for me, a 45 minute commute would not be fun. What areas of Lake Murray would be within 20 minutes? I should say that I can be flexible in that I could leave before or after standard rush hour (when is that in Columbia?) if that would help. Is the Irmo or the Lexington side more possible for a 20 min drive?
I don't think a 20 minute drive from waterfront property is possible under any conditions. The problem is getting from the lake to major roads feeding into the city. The people I know that live on the lake generally will tell you that the extra 30 minutes they spend commuting each day is more than worth it for the lifestyle.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:44 AM

175 posts, read 544,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
I don't think a 20 minute drive from waterfront property is possible under any conditions. The problem is getting from the lake to major roads feeding into the city. The people I know that live on the lake generally will tell you that the extra 30 minutes they spend commuting each day is more than worth it for the lifestyle.
What areas would be closest in terms of time rather than distance from Lake Murray? Anything that would be more like 30 min than 45 min?

My wife and I both have phone interviews this week... we'll see what happens and whether we'll be making the move.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:33 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
lol.. yeah snobby may be extreme.. ostentatious or pretentious??? maybe.. and possibly a little provincial.
I wouldn't describe Columbia's upper crust as ostentatious. I believe it is the opposite. But provincial? Absolutely. You must 'speak the language'.

As far as Shandon goes, it is not the foo-foo neighborhood of Columbia. I'd say that is Heathwood. Shandon is what I'd call the home of the "modest white Democrats". Sort of a Chapel Hill/Charlottesville style crowd, well educated, 'old money', moderately wealthy but inconspicuous, very charitable and community-oriented, open-minded, mildly liberal, and politically connected.

In my opinion, a stark contrast to the more suburban and outlying neighborhoods of Columbia and Lexington, of which I have nothing positive to say, so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

And don't get me wrong on the politics here - I am fairly conservative. I just really appreciate the progressive community vibe of Shandon, which is rare in South Carolina.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I wouldn't describe Columbia's upper crust as ostentatious. I believe it is the opposite. But provincial? Absolutely. You must 'speak the language'.

As far as Shandon goes, it is not the foo-foo neighborhood of Columbia. I'd say that is Heathwood. Shandon is what I'd call the home of the "modest white Democrats". Sort of a Chapel Hill/Charlottesville style crowd, well educated, 'old money', moderately wealthy but inconspicuous, very charitable and community-oriented, open-minded, mildly liberal, and politically connected.

In my opinion, a stark contrast to the more suburban and outlying neighborhoods of Columbia and Lexington, of which I have nothing positive to say, so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

And don't get me wrong on the politics here - I am fairly conservative. I just really appreciate the progressive community vibe of Shandon, which is rare in South Carolina.
Thanks, appreciate the candid assessment. We'll definitely keep Shandon on the list for the reasons you say, plus it seems to have a high walkability score, which appeals to us.

At one point someone told us not to live near Devine for some reason. I'm not sure why except maybe because it's more commercial. Any other reason to stay away from it? Is it dangerous at night or something?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:57 PM

12,922 posts, read 18,765,744 times
I can't think of any reason someone would say that unless they perceived that there's too much traffic volume on the parallel streets within a block of Devine. Also, I think a lot of the homes along that corridor (Devine Street, Blossom Street and Lee Street) are rented by college students.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Thanks, appreciate the candid assessment. We'll definitely keep Shandon on the list for the reasons you say, plus it seems to have a high walkability score, which appeals to us.

At one point someone told us not to live near Devine for some reason. I'm not sure why except maybe because it's more commercial. Any other reason to stay away from it? Is it dangerous at night or something?

no, not really. i worked as a valet on devine street for several years, working until late at night on the street.

I would not recommend living anywhere that you can see devine street. not that it would be a tragedy, just that it would be loud, busy with vehicle and pedestrian traffic.

last i checked, shandon wasn't much of a bargain, but it is aesthetically pleasing.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
last i checked, shandon wasn't much of a bargain, but it is aesthetically pleasing.
Hmmm, I guess that begs the question, what areas would currently be a bargain?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:33 AM

85 posts, read 333,847 times
Default Bargains galore!

Quote:
Hmmm, I guess that begs the question, what areas would currently be a bargain?
I am fairly new in Columbia myself so I invite others to correct me in answering your question if my answer sounds farfetched. I guess the bargain areas would entirely depend on wether you have school aged children or not. Northeastern Columbia (Spring Valley) has the best schools and so does Irmo (District 5). Unfortunately you pay heavily in real estate terms for these areas. Shandon, Lake Katherine, Forest Acres and Heathwood in inner Columbia are high end and no bargains here. You may consider Olympia or the areas just south of I-20 and Two Notch Road as absolute bargains but then be prepared to send your kids to private school.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:59 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:

I can agree with that .. Heathwood is probably more accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area