Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,850,031 times

Advertisements

Columbus, Georgia
They're reclaiming the Hooch along the southern border of Georgia and Alabama. In Columbus, the strategic demolition of old dams along the Chattahoochee River will soon unleash what the city is calling the River City Rush, the "longest urban whitewater course in the world," according to the event's website. The old industrial city has already rejuvenated itself over the past couple of decades with the development of the 20-mile Riverwalk, a "linear park" that has attracted dedicated bicyclists from across the country.

But if the water is a prime attraction, Columbus is best known for its men and women on the ground. Well over 100,000 military, family, and civilian employees live and work on the vast U.S. Army post of Fort Benning just south of the city, and the Columbus Airport is a busy way station for travelers in fatigues and work boots. Each week the parade grounds behind the National Infantry Museum host the graduation of hundreds of basic trainees, attended by friends and family. Visitors can brush up on military history and try their hands at combat simulation at the museum's impressive new facility, which opened in 2009.

Fort Benning is named for a Civil War general who was fiercely committed to the Confederate cause, and the Columbus downtown features a historic district that's graced with cobblestone streets and postbellum southern charm. The downtown blocks nearby feature a few superb restaurants, including The Loft, a burnished wine-and-whiskey joint that features live jazz on Fridays, and the Cannon Brew Pub, a homey, high-ceilinged place that has won awards for its excellent ales and stouts, brewed on-site in the copper tanks that loom over the back bar. And the floorboards of the Springer Opera House, a historic landmark that was saved from demolition in the 1960s, have been trod by Oscar Wilde, Ma Rainey, and a certain theatrical "General," Tom Thumb.

Columbus, Georgia - Cities - MensJournal.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,667,043 times
Nice article! Hope this is huge for Columbus!

Old 12-05-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Nice article! Hope this is huge for Columbus!
I hope so myself. Tells a lot about the city growth and national ranking.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times
Good read!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 AM

192 posts, read 385,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzer View Post
Lol...
Where do you live now, and why aren't you singing its praises on that forum? Or do you just hate every place you've lived? Seems you're participating just to critique and criticize Columbus and Augusta.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 AM

192 posts, read 385,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzer View Post
I love where I live. I just get a good laugh out of seeing a handful of presumable grown ups get together and "sing praises" about their city and take it so seriously, acting like a group of kids talking about what Santa will bring them for Christmas.

It is a city. Nothing you say on here will give the city a national ranking or propel it to the next level (and more importantly, why anyone would care about this is beyond me). It is a city.

I initially got on here for another reason, but found city-data was pretty in depth, so I started poking around. I have lived in both Columbus and Augusta and it is even more hilarious to see the way only a handful of people talk about the places because I know from being there for years that this forum is completely skewed of reality.

I look at where I live and, yeah, there are some problems, but I don't blatantly ignore them like the posters on here or cry foul trolls when someone speaks the truth. I can accept that those problems exist and I don't particularly care because I still love where I live. I don't see a reason to defend it. If you don't want to live there, then good. Again, just adds to the hilarity of these forums.
You find hometown pride as hilarious? This is not my home town, I've only lived here for 8 months, and you don't see me calling anyone trolls.

My experiences thus far are not the crime ridden, racist experiences you state that you had while here.

Since you love where you live now, I'm sure you won't mind sharing where that is?

I've lived in and loved Jamestown, NC; Greensboro, NC; Chapel Hill, NC; Marietta, GA - and now I'm learning to love living in Columbus, GA. Were I to become independently wealthy - I would most likely move from Columbus, GA - but that's because I miss the energy of Atanta and my friend there, and would move back there. But not because I dislike Columbus. I just think that Atlanta is a better fit for me.

But on the flip side, I enjoy exploring Columbus and enjoy the posts here that help me to discover other things about this city I now call home.

I don't have much respect for someone coming and being a Debbie Downer, just because they had a bad experience, nor do I put much value in their participation. You've left Columbus behind - good for you. There's no need for you to come and laugh at people's home town pride and dump on them. Maybe you really HAVEN'T left Columbus behind. Says a lot about your character when you act as childish as you claim the home town priders are with your taunting posts, IMHO. Reminds me of the school yard bully. Hypocrite much?

Old 12-08-2012, 08:02 AM

95 posts, read 161,445 times
I think I've read my last message on this forum. I truly appreciate the positive and constructive participation of many members, and their posts have been very helpful during my transition to Columbus. But I get enough negativism every day, without reading posts by people like this Crazzer clown. I'm outta here!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:08 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,667,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrew View Post
I think I've read my last message on this forum. I truly appreciate the positive and constructive participation of many members, and their posts have been very helpful during my transition to Columbus. But I get enough negativism every day, without reading posts by people like this Crazzer clown. I'm outta here!
Truly sorry to hear that you will not be posting anymore bc of one certain poster. However, I can understand your frustration. Enjoyed reading your comments. With time, that poster will move on. Hopefully you will visit the forum again. Enjoy Columbus!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrew View Post
Myself can understand your frustration. Sometimes ignoring the person will only add on. I hope you enjoy your new lifestyle in Columbus.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times
SORRY! Just couldn't resist ... we all need a good laugh now and again and this one NEVER FAILS to make me LOL!!

snl - debbie downer i can't have children! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
View detailed profiles of: