Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,848,198 times

Advertisements

Columbus and Fort Benning probably have a mix economy. However,Columbus will always have the longer end of the stick. Lets go back into the 90's,when Fort Benning was cut down to the soil. Columbus was still growing at an amazing rate,without Fort Benning help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,914,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
dpatt: The Master's is a once-a-year golf tournament, the biggest of several. Augusta hosts the Master's for one week. Augustans who think that equals Savannah's national and int'l rnown are just lost. I'll admit the Master's has put Augusta on the map, but to say it exceeds Savannah in national and international prestige? That's an Augusta Convention & Trade whopper.

Columbuskidd: Ft. Benning is in Chattahoochee County, one of the counties of the Columbus MSA, so it's Columbus metro. All 12,000 people in Chattahoochee Co. are included in the 301,000 in Columbus MSA. And most Benning soldiers and their kids live in the city of Columbus anyway, so that's pretty near 100% of the military economy. Ft. Stewart is not in the Savannah MSA, but Savannah CSA -- soldiers and their families mostly live in Hinesville-Ft. St MSA. Some do live in Savannah MSA (Bryan County), but only a small percentage. The commuting distance is pretty far, and Hinesville is nice (a Renaissance City along with Columbus, Dahlonega, Savannah, Statesboro etc.).

BullochResident: Good that Statesboro was named a Renaissance City. It deserves it, 100%.
We both have our opinions. I don't know about you but I'm not a statistics analyst. Whether Savannah, Augusta or Columbus or any other city for that matter, Georgia is blessed with a large assortment of diversity. For this state to truly succeed in the future, cities such as Savannah, Augusta and Columbus will have to take that lead because Atlanta can not do it forever with it's current infrastructure.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
We both have our opinions. I don't know about you but I'm not a statistics analyst. Whether Savannah, Augusta or Columbus or any other city for that matter, Georgia is blessed with a large assortment of diversity. For this state to truly succeed in the future, cities such as Savannah, Augusta and Columbus will have to take that lead because Atlanta can not do it forever with it's current infrastructure.
I love your honest opinion.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,979,249 times
Quote:
Ft. Stewart is not in the Savannah MSA, but Savannah CSA -- soldiers and their families mostly live in Hinesville-Ft. St MSA.
Actually, there is a significant portion of Fort Stewart located in Bryan County (which everyone in the Savannah area knows splits the county in half. Pembroke being in the north, Richmond Hill being in the south.) As I'm sure you're aware, Bryan County is within Savannah MSA, therefore Fort Stewart is, in fact, within the Savannah MSA as well as the CSA and Hinesville-Fort Stewart MSA.

Hunter is also closely connected with Stewart btw. Stewart is very much a part of the Savannah community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
As I said in my previous post, if you can present some unbiased stats to back your claims up (I've been trying to find international tourist numbers for both cities myself to no avail), I would be open to agreeing with you when it comes to the subject at hand.

While we will agree to disagree as far as Savannah and Augusta's international presence is concerned, I can certainly agree with you that the state of Georgia is blessed to have Augusta, Savannah and Columbus among others. Well said.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,113,220 times
@Wandering. A large and almost totally rural, uninhabited portion of the Ft. Stewart military installation juts into Bryan County. But the working administrative part is adjacent to Hinesville. Virtually all the soldiers and their families live and shop in Liberty County. Their kids attend school in Hinesville. Few live in Bryan County. Savannah-Chatham? Rare. That contrasts significantly with Columbus, where Ft. Benning's administration, hospital, etc., are as close to Columbus as Georgetown is to Savannah. Ft. Benning is well integrated into Columbus. I grew up near Ft. Benning and, later, near Hunter (back when it was an air force base). Columbus is THE essential military town. Savannah isn't. The military presence in Savannah is rather limited (today's Hunter Army Airfield is a tiny operation). Savannah has CSA links to Ft. Stewart, not MSA links as Columbus does.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
@Wandering. A large and almost totally rural, uninhabited portion of the Ft. Stewart military installation juts into Bryan County. But the working administrative part is adjacent to Hinesville. Virtually all the soldiers and their families live and shop in Liberty County. Their kids attend school in Hinesville. Few live in Bryan County. Savannah-Chatham? Rare. That contrasts significantly with Columbus, where Ft. Benning's administration, hospital, etc., are as close to Columbus as Georgetown is to Savannah. Ft. Benning is well integrated into Columbus. I grew up near Ft. Benning and, later, near Hunter (back when it was an air force base). Columbus is THE essential military town. Savannah isn't. The military presence in Savannah is rather limited (today's Hunter Army Airfield is a tiny operation). Savannah has CSA links to Ft. Stewart, not MSA links as Columbus does.
Yes, arguably all of Stewart's land in Bryan County is rural. My point was that Stewart, though wooded and no residents, is still there and within the Savannah MSA.
Does it affect Savannah the way Benning does in Columbus? Certainly not and I agree with you completely in those regards.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 PM

I don't understand how Columbus still being called a "military city" by some online users. I NEVER heard this outside the internet. Probably because Benning have their own neighborhoods,stores and movie theater.

Fort Benning Introduction - YouTube

This is all Fort Benning,NOT Columbus. If you knew anything about math,you would know that less military families have been moving to Columbus lately. BRAC added 20,000 soldiers,and the city pop only grew 5k from that process.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 PM

934 posts, read 1,348,101 times
Augusta and Savannah have the same "prestige" around the world. Savannah has ocean front and located on the I95 corridor, those 2 factors make Savannah or any other city in that location a destination. Swap the cities of Columbus with the city of Savannah locations. Guess whose the big tourist city now? Exactly! The city by the ocean off I95. Even with all the squares and historic relics Savannah would considered a nice cute little town in the middle of nowhere.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Augusta and Savannah have the same "prestige" around the world. Savannah has ocean front and located on the I95 corridor, those 2 factors make Savannah or any other city in that location a destination. Swap the cities of Columbus with the city of Savannah locations. Guess whose the big tourist city now? Exactly! The city by the ocean off I95. Even with all the squares and historic relics Savannah would considered a nice cute little town in the middle of nowhere.
Savannah isn't on the ocean. It's on the Savannah River. The Atlantic Ocean is 25 minutes east of town.

The fact remains that Savannah is Georgia's first city unlike any other in the country and would be without I-95 being close by. Augusta, while still a great town, does not have the same "prestige" no matter how you look at it.

I'm done discussing this. I'm still waiting on those international numbers..

Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,113,220 times
RiverDawg, I would love to know what you're smoking. That is a thoroughly ridiculous assessment -- countered by everyone from Columbus and Augusta I've ever met. I know folks from all over who put the kids in the car and take off to spend 3-4 days touring Savannah. They do that for only one other Ga. city -- ONE -- Atlanta. Many southern cities are "near the ocean", and folks almost never come to Savannah to hit the beach. Just like Charleston is not "Greenville on the ocean", Savannah's downtown is not "downtown Columbus or Augusta near the ocean". Savannah's historic district is stunning -- the homes, the parks, the gardens, the historic cemeteries, the forts and museums (Columbus and Augusta have these, but they are not nearly as impressive or as numerous.) I heartily recommend Wikipedia's "Savannah" article online. Look at the photos, then compare the Wikipedia articles on Columbus, Macon, and Augusta. See? Columbus, Macon and Augusta are attractive but fairly typical southern cities. Savannah or Charleston are in a totally different league. You're in denial -- as they say, Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA