Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,851,539 times

Advertisements

Georgia Trend magazine has listed Columbus as one of the state’s top eight “Georgia Trend magazine” in its most recent issue.

“These eight downtowns are bustling with shops, restaurants, art and activity,” the headline on the magazine’s website declares.

Columbus is listed alphabetically with Blue Ridge, Dahlonega, Decatur, Hinesville, Roswell, Savannah and Statesboro. The cities are not ranked.

The section of the article describing Columbus mentions the Riverwalk, RiverCenter, National Infantry Museum, the Carson McCullers and Ma Rainey homes, Whitewater, Columbus State University’s downtown presence and of course the renaissance downtown has seen over the past 20-plus years.

“We’re experiencing a renaissance in business growth and quality of life,” Mayor Teresa Tomlinson is quoted as saying. “Columbus has become this outdoorsy, hip place with sophisticated cultural attractions.”

The article also points to Fort Benning, TSYS and Aflac providing jobs and a more stable economy than many cities enjoy.

“Columbus has gone from being a manufacturing and military town to a city that also has an international impact and tourism appeal,” Tomlinson said. “These changes might surprise some people.”

Magazine lists Columbus among state's top 'Renaissance Cities' | Latest News | Columbus Ledger Enquirer

The article...
Georgia’s Renaissance Cities - Georgia Trend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,671,642 times
Just another solid reason on how Columbus is separating itself from other similar sized cities. Can't wait to see the future projects that will develop with whitewater.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM

I'm also excited to see what will happen next.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:02 PM

Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,116,564 times
Can someone explain to me this complex that Columbus folks have about other Georgia cities? Columbus made the Renaissance Cities, but so did a few others, including Savannah. Augusta (pop. 560,000) and Savannah (355,000) are both larger metro areas than Columbus (301,000). AUG and SAV are also much more attractive and interesting than Columbus. As a GA boy who lives out of state, I can tell you that people know Atlanta and Savannah--period. Far behind those two come Athens, with UGA's growing int'l reputation and then Augusta, with Master's. Way behind Athens and Augusta comes (drum roll) Columbus. I've been reading up on this peeing contest with Savannah, but trust me, ColumbusKidd and 1984, folks in Savannah couldn't care less. With that city's name recognition, tourism, port, and other amenities, they don't have to care.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,985,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Can someone explain to me this complex that Columbus folks have about other Georgia cities? Columbus made the Renaissance Cities, but so did a few others, including Savannah. Augusta (pop. 560,000) and Savannah (355,000) are both larger metro areas than Columbus (301,000). AUG and SAV are also much more attractive and interesting than Columbus. As a GA boy who lives out of state, I can tell you that people know Atlanta and Savannah--period. Far behind those two come Athens, with UGA's growing int'l reputation and then Augusta, with Master's. Way behind Athens and Augusta comes (drum roll) Columbus. I've been reading up on this peeing contest with Savannah, but trust me, ColumbusKidd and 1984, folks in Savannah couldn't care less. With that city's name recognition, tourism, port, and other amenities, they don't have to care.
Where was Augusta on that list? I only saw Blue Ridge, Dahlonega, Columbus, Savannah, Hinesville, Roswell and Statesboro. Not quite sure why Hinesville and Roswell were on the list.. Their downtowns are nice, but I don't think they'd quite qualify as renaissance worthy.

Also, as a former Savannah resident and (obviously) still current resident of Georgia, I'm happy to see positive downtown revitalization news. For ANY of our cities. Its high time development is concentrated in the right areas and done in smart ways. Not this endless big box and subdivision, car-centric development crap.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,671,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Huh? First off, there is no complex against other cities. Secondly, Augusta did not make that list. Of course Savannah is more interesting than Columbus. It is more intersting than most cities in this country. Augusta....not so much. Their claim to fame lasts one week out of the year. Athens is well known too. I lived there and received 2 degrees from the Terry College of Business (BBA in Real Estate Finance and my MBA). Not sure what you are getting at...

Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM

Default Columbus

Dear Columbus1984: Apologies for the aggressive tone, but I have been following the "Ga. cities" threads here in the last 2 years, and there seems to be quite a peeing contest among the 2nd-tier cities of AUG, COL, SAV, MAC, and ATH. These happen among Ala. and S.C. cities too, I'm sure. Still, I disagree with the (many) Columbus posters and (occasional) Augusta posters who say that their cities are on the same level of interest and prestige as Savannah. That might have been true in 1966, but in the last, say, 40 years? Nope. I have nothing against Columbus, by the way. It's an attractive city.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,510 posts, read 15,128,922 times
I didn't really want to get involve, but there's no way Athens is more well known than Augusta. If you go overseas(particularly Asia), Augusta should win over Savannah too.

The Masters tournament maybe one week, but Augusta is definitely more popular than Columbus and Athens.

People from across the united states know about Augusta due to the Medical District, James Brown, and Fort Gordon too.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Norton, you are a hoot! I've lived abroad (now in the Northeast). Savannah articles appear in major newspapers regularly, in both places. Unless you are (1) seriously into golf or (2) filling out your application for medical school (Medical College of GA is good), AUG is seriously "off the radar." Savannah? Very much ON the radar.

Someone I struck up a conversation with just last month: "You're from GA?" "Yes." "I'd love to visit Atlanta, but have always wanted to see Savannah". In the last 30 years, only one person (a golfer) mentioned Augusta to me. 'Nuff said. BTW-- Have you been to the SAV historic district lately? Augusta pales in comparison, and I'm being very polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA