Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,920,003 times

Advertisements

When you examine the future potential of each city you have to ask yourself, what will the world need in the future? How will the state of Georgia be by 2020 and 2030. For all this talk on who has the bigger city, MSA or CSA, we need to be asking who has the most prepared city to receive this growth? Who has the most prepared city to receive high paying jobs? And most important who has the infrastructure available to build for the future?

From my experiences in all 3 cities I can tell you, Augusta and Savannah will be far better than Columbus in the future. This nothing against Columbus but the 2 industries that are overdue for expansion are the healthcare industry and the Port of Savannah. Augusta is blessed to have a large healthcare base anchored by Georgia Regents University which is only going to get bigger, and the Port in Savannah is self explanatory. The military especially the infantry will continue to shrink as more and more wars are fought in cyberspace, which will benefit Augusta with the NSA.

Growth of military cyber security could benefit Fort Gordon | The Augusta Chronicle

Infrastructurally Savannah is leading because they have access to 2 interstates, an established international airport, and a major port, however Augusta has the better quality especially when it comes to its highway system, which no offense to Savannah, most of its corridors need upgrading. Columbus is at a disadvantage being on the end of a bypass, but if I-185 was extended to I-10 in Florida then Columbus would stand a better chance. All and all the 2nd tier cities are unique, but the one thing that puts Augusta over and over again is and will always be its surrounding counties especially Aiken and Columbia counties. Even when Augusta Richmond County is in a decline those counties still grow and grow strong. What county around Savannah or Columbus have grow to the support level of Columbia and Aiken counties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 06:35 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,694,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
When you examine the future potential of each city you have to ask yourself, what will the world need in the future? How will the state of Georgia be by 2020 and 2030. For all this talk on who has the bigger city, MSA or CSA, we need to be asking who has the most prepared city to receive this growth? Who has the most prepared city to receive high paying jobs? And most important who has the infrastructure available to build for the future?

From my experiences in all 3 cities I can tell you, Augusta and Savannah will be far better than Columbus in the future. This nothing against Columbus but the 2 industries that are overdue for expansion are the healthcare industry and the Port of Savannah. Augusta is blessed to have a large healthcare base anchored by Georgia Regents University which is only going to get bigger, and the Port in Savannah is self explanatory. The military especially the infantry will continue to shrink as more and more wars are fought in cyberspace, which will benefit Augusta with the NSA.

Growth of military cyber security could benefit Fort Gordon | The Augusta Chronicle

Infrastructurally Savannah is leading because they have access to 2 interstates, an established international airport, and a major port, however Augusta has the better quality especially when it comes to its highway system, which no offense to Savannah, most of its corridors need upgrading. Columbus is at a disadvantage being on the end of a bypass, but if I-185 was extended to I-10 in Florida then Columbus would stand a better chance. All and all the 2nd tier cities are unique, but the one thing that puts Augusta over and over again is and will always be its surrounding counties especially Aiken and Columbia counties. Even when Augusta Richmond County is in a decline those counties still grow and grow strong. What county around Savannah or Columbus have grow to the support level of Columbia and Aiken counties?
Have to disagree.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,920,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Have to disagree.
Which part?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:44 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,647,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post

Columbus has never been on a bypass I think you meant spur and that has nothing to do with growth because Huntsville AL is also on a spur and it's growing darn pretty fast. I can't really say which city is going to grow faster than the other one because anything can change at any given time. However, the more bases closes the more Columbus will grow. Savannah will always grow but there's no reason to go back and forth when all cities are pretty much equal in most people's eyes. Columbus has probably gained the 2nd largest city in GA again since county estimates are 198,000 while Richmond County is sitting at 202,000 but Augusta isn't consolidated with the whole county.

So....Augusta will have the state's 2nd largest metro.
Columbus will be the 2nd largest city
Savannah MSA will most like outgrow both once BRAC slows down in Columbus.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,125,017 times
@Norton. Between 2010 and 2012, Savannah's MSA grew from 347,000 to 361,000. That's a tad bit more than 3,000 residents (as in: almost 5 times that much). If you mean the city proper, Savannah city gained 3,000 within one year (2010-2011), with the 2012 estimate still to be released by US Census (May 2013). I do see the other points in your post though.

@cdw1084. I totally agree. Augusta will reign as GA's 2nd largest MSA this decade, Columbus has probably passed Augusta as GA's 2nd largest municipality (we'll confirm that in May), and Savannah MSA will probably lead 2nd-tier cities in growth for the decade 2010-2020. To be continued...

Last edited by masonbauknight; 04-03-2013 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 02:23 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,859,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I still don't understand why Augusta was brought into the discussion. How did I shoot myself in the foot when the urban populations aren't even close?

I'm the one being accused of bragging, but you guys always have to use surrounding counties in order to make the area 'seem bigger'. Or you have to compare the CSA vs the MSA of Augusta. BRAC in Columbus won't last forever, and the MSA of Savannah only gained around 3,000 more people between 2010-2012.

I''ll give Columbus and Savannah credit, but 2010-2012 is only two years of growth. Let's see what happens once the Georgia Regents expansions, NSA, Plant Vogtle, Starbucks, etc developments pick up steam in Augusta.
Quote:
I''ll give Columbus and Savannah credit, but 2010-2012 is only two years of growth. Let's see what happens once the Georgia Regents expansions, NSA, Plant Vogtle, Starbucks, etc developments pick up steam in Augusta.
You're such a homer. Lets see what happens once Columbus State,KIA and NCR finish their expansions.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:33 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,510 posts, read 15,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@Norton. Between 2010 and 2012, Savannah's MSA grew from 347,000 to 361,000. That's a tad bit more than 3,000 residents (as in: almost 5 times that much). If you mean the city proper, Savannah city gained 3,000 within one year (2010-2011), with the 2012 estimate still to be released by US Census (May 2013). I do see the other points in your post though.

@cdw1084. I totally agree. Augusta will reign as GA's 2nd largest MSA this decade, Columbus has probably passed Augusta as GA's 2nd largest municipality (we'll confirm that in May), and Savannah MSA will probably lead 2nd-tier cities in growth for the decade 2010-2020. To be continued...
I said Savannah only gained around 3,000 more people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
You're such a homer. Lets see what happens once Columbus State,KIA and NCR finish their expansions.
Are you really comparing this to GRU? I'm the homer but you're comparing Columbus State versus GRU Augusta...

Old 04-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Are you really comparing this to GRU?
No I wasn't.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I said Savannah only gained around 3,000 more people.

Are you really comparing this to GRU? I'm the homer but you're comparing Columbus State versus GRU Augusta...
And when did I do this?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,995,875 times
What is the big freakin' deal about Georgia Regents University? You're combining the medical college with Augusta State ... so what? That's not gonna cause thousands of students to start flocking there. It's not gonna deminish the popularity of UGA, Tech; GSU or Ga Southern. Georgia Regents is NOT going to be the next Kennesaw State.

SCAD has done more -- and means more -- to the city of Savannah than GRU will to Augusta. SCAD put Savannah on the international map. Outside of Georgia, or Augusta, nobody knows or cares about GRU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA