Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,917,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What is the big freakin' deal about Georgia Regents University? You're combining the medical college with Augusta State ... so what? That's not gonna cause thousands of students to start flocking there. It's not gonna deminish the popularity of UGA, Tech; GSU or Ga Southern. Georgia Regents is NOT going to be the next Kennesaw State.

SCAD has done more -- and means more -- to the city of Savannah than GRU will to Augusta. SCAD put Savannah on the international map. Outside of Georgia, or Augusta, nobody knows or cares about GRU.
While I agree with most of your post, I have to disagree here. GRU, with Dr. Azziz leading the school has the ability to become the next UAB. Dr. Azziz may not be popular amongst the locals, but the man has a grand plan for the school. Georgia and the country as a whole are experiencing huge nurse and doctor shortages. This school will drastically help improve those shortages. This school while not as big as the others is very critical to the growth of this state and even nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,510 posts, read 15,138,777 times
Quote:
What is the big freakin' deal about Georgia Regents University? You're combining the medical college with Augusta State ... so what? That's not gonna cause thousands of students to start flocking there. It's not gonna deminish the popularity of UGA, Tech; GSU or Ga Southern. Georgia Regents is NOT going to be the next Kennesaw State.

SCAD has done more -- and means more -- to the city of Savannah than GRU will to Augusta. SCAD put Savannah on the international map. Outside of Georgia, or Augusta, nobody knows or cares about GRU.
I'm the person who want to talk to, because I know about the majority of upcoming/underway construction. The budget of GRU is already larger than Kennesaw State, and GRU BLOWS away Georgia Southern and Kennesaw state in terms of research. The majority of dental and medical students in Augusta don't come from other cities in Georgia.

2011 Budget
1. UGA 1,149,530,800
2. GT 1,096,344,600
3. GRU 736,476,300
4. GA State 654,750,400
5. Kennesaw 303,761,900
6. GA Southern 279,184,200
University System of Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 'MCG' name is very INTERNATIONAL, and the hard work didn't go away because of the merger. Augusta is always full of people from outside of Georgia, and the US who come here for high quality of healthcare.

It took her five months just to get a visa and a grueling 24-hour trip from Cairo to Augusta, but Amany Mahmoud was happy to be getting tested at Georgia Regents Medical Center. Mahmoud can attest to that. She had sought treatment in Egypt and Jordan for constant vomiting, but her doctor finally referred her to Georgia Regents because of its expertise, she said.
Georgia Regents seeks $10 million Digestive Health Center, in retrofit | The Augusta Chronicle

SCAD= 244 million impact in 2003
Savannah College of Art & Design Boosts City's Economy, Global Reputation

GRU=2.5 billion
Grand Vision | Metro Spirit

I'm positive the SCAD impact is much higher in 2013, but it's not on the level of GRU.

None of the 7 developments below include the GRU construction plans for the ASU main campus, and they own 17 acres on the riverfront(GGHF site). The 'Mills Campus' and 'Downtown Cultural Campus' was also introduced recently.
http://aug-cdn.com/sites/default/fil...20Proposal.pdf

1. $112 million Dental school opened 2011
2. $76.5 million Medical Commons under construction
3. $5 million going towards the existing Cancer Center
4. $1 million Laney Walker pedestrian park coming soon
5. $100 million Cancer Center/crosswalk over 15th coming soon (helping Augusta become home to the 2nd NCI Cancer Center in the state/Emory in Atlanta)
6. $50 million renovation of the old dental school coming soon
7. 25 acre commercial development coming soon

Last edited by nortonguy; 04-03-2013 at 07:29 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 02:20 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,853,930 times
I guess that would make CSU an international college too.

Columbus State University | My First Choice | Dorothy's Testimonial - YouTube
Dorothy is an international student from Kenya. She is on the cross country team. She majored in biology and is now doing her doctorate. See how CSU channeled her passions and helped her achieve her goals.

Columbus State University - My First Choice | Christian Ries - South African Golfer - YouTube
Christian is an international student from South Africa,marketing major as well as the CSU golf Player. He won the NCAA Division II National Championship in 2007. See how CSU channeled his passions and helped him achieve his goals.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:01 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,184,853 times
Quote:

Just want to interject for a moment (don't really care to get into the city vs city debate), but the GRU consolidation is a much bigger deal than some may realize. GRU is now the 4th research school in the state ( Georgia Southern isn't even a research university) and the plan is to more than double attendance by 2020 because of it.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 AM
PJA

Quote:
WHAT'S IMPORTANT: The Savannah and Columbus MSAs are both growing significantly faster than Augusta's MSA.

JULY 2012 EST POPULATIONS

COLUMBUS MSA -- 310,531 / +15,666
SAVANNAH MSA -- 361,941 / +14,330
AUGUSTA MSA -- 575,898 / +11,055

Further, when you compare the Savannah and Columbus CSAs to the Augusta MSA (which is only fair), it becomes obvious that the three regions are much closer in population than mere MSA numbers would indicate, and both Columbus and Savannah are quickly narrowing the gap with Augusta.

COLUMBUS CSA 491,852 / +22,525
SAVANNAH CSA 516,154 / +20,409
AUGUSTA MSA -- 575,898 / +11,055

ANOTHER INTERESTING FACT: Augusta's MSA sprawls across 3,278 sq miles -- with nearly one-third of that (1,080 sq miles) in Aiken County SC alone!

By comparison, the Columbus MSA is just 1,937 sq miles, and the SavannaH MSA a mere 1,359! When you break it down by MSA density, it looks like this:

COLUMBUS MSA: 160 / sq mile
AUGUSTA MSA: 178.7 / sq mile
SAVANNAH MSA: 266 / sq mile

Oficially speaking Augusta's 2010 population was 556,877. The 2012 estimate charts include Lincoln County 2010 numbers but Lincoln County didn't officially meet the qualifications to become apart of the metro until 2012. That would make the net gain actually +19,021.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:41 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,118,871 times
@PJA. Absolutely not. When comparing MSA populations, one compares the current year and new MSA boundaries against older years using new MSA boundaries, not old boundaries. If you've added in Lincoln County for 2012, you add in Lincoln County for 2010 -- then you do the math. That's how everyone does it, including US Census.

Folks on this thread really need to take a Statistics 101 course at Augusta State. No one ever wants to compare apples to apples on City-Data -- not when oranges and tangerines will make our case look stronger than it is. Also: MSA growth between cities is significant ONLY when you compare percentage of population growth, not head counts.

The Augusta MSA numbers are:
2010 564,873, with Lincoln Co.
2012 575,898, with Lincoln Co.
Augusta growth rate: 1.95%

Savannah: 4.12%
Columbus: 5.31%

Between Savannah and Columbus: None too significant.
Between Augusta and Savannah or Columbus, pretty damn significant.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:49 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@PJA. Absolutely not. When comparing MSA populations, one compares the current year and new MSA boundaries against older years using new MSA boundaries, not old boundaries. If you've added in Lincoln County for 2012, you add in Lincoln County for 2010 -- then you do the math. That's how everyone does it, including US Census.

Folks on this thread really need to take a Statistics 101 course at Augusta State. No one ever wants to compare apples to apples on City-Data -- not when oranges and tangerines will make our case look stronger than it is. Also: MSA growth between cities is significant ONLY when you compare percentage of population growth, not head counts.

The Augusta MSA numbers are:
2010 564,873, with Lincoln Co.
2012 575,898, with Lincoln Co.
Augusta growth rate: 1.95%

Savannah: 4.12%
Columbus: 5.31%

Between Savannah and Columbus: None too significant.
Between Augusta and Savannah or Columbus, pretty damn significant.
The point of my post was not to compare Augusta to the other metros but to point out that in 2010 the metro stood at at 556,877 taken from the official census.gov site and with the addition of Lincoln County and the other growth the metro has a net gain officially of about 19,000. I do know that for statistics purposes the estimate charts include Lincoln Co in the 2010 population as I had already stated that in the previous post...so no I don't need lessons but thanks anyway ;-)

Also I think adding a county to a metro is as you put it "pretty damn significant" as well.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:45 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,118,871 times
@PJA: The point of your post is beside the point. You are wrong, and the figure is not 19,000 but 11,025. The US Census growth charts (and those of all other demographers) always use the same MSA or CSA boundaries to compare different years. The gain is 11,025; the 19,000 is faulty and erroneous.

I don't think it's very significant that Lincoln Co. was added. Augusta-Aiken is a vast MSA, so a sparsely inhabited rural county like Lincoln is not a big gain.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:10 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@PJA: The point of your post is beside the point. You are wrong, and the figure is not 19,000 but 11,025. The US Census growth charts (and those of all other demographers) always use the same MSA or CSA boundaries to compare different years. The gain is 11,025; the 19,000 is faulty and erroneous.

I don't think it's very significant that Lincoln Co. was added. Augusta-Aiken is a vast MSA, so a sparsely inhabited rural county like Lincoln is not a big gain.
You're entitled to your opinion that adding a county isn't significant. But it is IMO. The fact of the matter is in 2010 the metro was considered having about 550,00 and now there's about 570,000. I have been a member of this board for years and the same pointless arguments happen about the other metros catching up with Augustas population. But the point was left out about the county being added. Taking that into account, the populations are not significantly any more closer in population than they were years ago. Had Lincoln County not been added, it would have bought the populations a lot more close as Augusta would only have about 560,000.

It doesn't matter to me, I see great things happening for several of the cities namely Augusta, Savannah and Columbus. Those three probably have the most going on outside of Atlanta ( and even Athens to a lesser extent.)

Old 04-28-2013, 12:15 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,853,930 times
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA