Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 49,572 times

Advertisements

Columbus has a major problem. It feels like the whole "Southern Hospitality" thing is a total myth in that town.

Last edited by fatdrunkenslob; 11-25-2007 at 06:36 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 07:07 PM

10 posts, read 42,066 times
"Why are people so rude, uneducated and segregated in Columbus?"

First, I'm not from Columbus so I can't address your specific questions but there are two parts of your title I would like to emphasize: "people" and "in (any city)" - In spite of the fact that it sounds like you may have experienced something in Columbus (assuming Georgia) that made you make this statement I would wager your generalization "people in Columbus" actually applies to only a small, probably minority, of the people in Columbus. "People in" any city, pick one, are rude, uneducated and segregated. It's a byproduct of human behavior. But in no city that I know of is everyone that way. I'm sure there are nice, educated and welcoming people in Columbus. Consider the places where you have encountered the lower rung of humanity and avoid those places which may be breeding grounds for that attitude.

Secondly Columbus is unlike most cities in the South due simply to the fact that one of the largest Army training bases in the nation is located in Columbus thus congregating people from all over the Western Hemisphere into one huge melting pot. Since many of them have no plans of putting down roots they don't bring much to the community other than partying and leaving. This gives Columbus somewhat of a "cesspool" assignment in their mind: eat, drink and be scary for tomorrow we leave.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,187,095 times
fatdrunkenslub, I have been living in Columbus now for about 26 years. What parts of Columbus is segregated and how? Like I have posted before, Columbus is a city of many transplants, similar to Atlanta and a large portion of the population is not Southern as one would like to define Southern. Almost all of my friends and acquaintances are from somewhere other than the South. We choose to live in Columbus because of its homely feel, its children friendly environment and so on. If you came here only to party as your handle suggested, then you found the crowd that you were looking for and you either did lot like them or they did not like you or both. On behalf of all Columbusites please except our deepest apology for any hurt or harm that might have come your way, due to the crowd you were hanging with.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:16 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,027 times
I dunno, but after 13 months (well really after 3 months) we had enough and left as soon as we could feasibly do so. MY EXPERIENCE was the natives do NOT like outsiders and I had been told 'MULTIPLE TIMES' that after 10 years or so they "start" to accept you. After living in over 7 other states and probably 16 different cities; in fact, DH's boss offered him a 25% raise to stay. Um there is a reason many people refer to their stay there as "the year of hell" because I've found actual SUPPORT GROUPS for people that had similar experiences there...that floored me.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,187,095 times
USA_Mom your experience sounds like two friends of mine experiences in Dallas, TX. They eventually left and are living in Columbus. One of them is actually a native Texan. Just can't please everyone. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:34 PM

179 posts, read 289,611 times
never mind.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:00 PM

105 posts, read 527,149 times
Were you actually seeking an answer or just venting?

Old 12-01-2007, 01:14 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdrunkenslob View Post
Columbus has a major problem. It feels like the whole "Southern Hospitality" thing is a total myth in that town.
Anyone who categorizes himself (or herself) as a "fat drunken slob" shouldn't
be too surprised when other people come to the same conclusion and look elsewhere for friends.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:15 PM

383 posts, read 722,827 times
I would imagine that every city, has people who are uneducated and want to stay segregated. Thats why its black or white schools, we even have black and white churches in the u.s. how would god like that.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,914 times
I have lived here in Columbus, Ga. for about a year now from Kansas City, Missouri. I have heard,watched,and read stories about the south and how it is segregated. But I have never experienced it, I am a black women who is trying to raise 3 children with my spouse. Living here in the south is a cultural shock to me, because I feel very out of place and where I'm from we have manners and we speak to people no matter of what race they are. I am a black women who spoke to this white women and her husband at a store, they both looked at my like I committed a crime. This bothers me alot, this is not why I bought my children here so they can experience racism and ignorance. They say southern hospitality, but it seems to me you get that only if your white. What kind of foolisness is that, I think that people need to get their acts together and realize this is not the 1950's and we are created equally. This town as rubbed me the wrong way and I also researched the history of this town and it really made me mad. How can people treat a person different just because of their color. GOD MADE US THIS WAY PEOPLE... I am just so ready to go back home and never return to the south again. Thanks for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA