Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:28 PM

967 posts, read 1,074,902 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start a thread for everyone's wish list for Columbus that doesn't fit into the category of a restaurant or retail store. This can include roads, highways, parks, entertainment, etc that you feel Columbus needs or that you would like to see that doesn't fit into the category of a restaurant or retail establishment.

A few of mine would be

A full interstate - This one is pretty obvious, better interstate access going east/west and south are very much needed. Based one some other threads it doesn't sounds like the political climate is right at the moment but I really hope it one day improves to this need.

More big name concerts and entertainers - We have some coming to the civic center and other venues in the area, but not nearly enough. I'd love to see more done to attract more concert tours and shows to the area.

High speed rail - I think I'm mentioning this after looking over the completed feasibility study posted today. I'll be excited to one day see this completed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 AM

113 posts, read 126,094 times
My main concern is the same as yours when it comes to the interstate issue. We are in a great location for people coming through our city. Unfortunately I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:46 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,847,050 times
Light rail throughout the city.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:50 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,657,720 times
1) Transportation

a) I-14 comes to reality and I-185 is extended to Tallahassee or Panama City

b) Widening of Veterans Parkway through Harris County

c) More lights along I-185, similar to what it is south of Macon Rd.

d) High-speed rail to Atlanta

e) Expansion of the airport which brings in more airlines (Southwest, American, etc.) with flights to D.C., NYC,
Chicago, Miami.

2) Car Dealerships

a) Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, and Land Rover would be nice.

3) Hotels, Condos, Office Buildings

a) A large waterfront hotel with 250-300 rooms. Preferably 15-20 floors

b) 10-15 story condo building overlooking the rapids

c) Nice Class-A office building along Broadway (20-25 floors)

d) A high-density apartment project for young professionals downtown

4) Jobs

a) Continued expansion of the Muscogee County Technology Park

b) Push for more military contracting companies and aerospace companies

Old 03-01-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
1) Transportation

a) I-14 comes to reality and I-185 is extended to Tallahassee or Panama City

b) Widening of Veterans Parkway through Harris County

c) More lights along I-185, similar to what it is south of Macon Rd.

d) High-speed rail to Atlanta

e) Expansion of the airport which brings in more airlines (Southwest, American, etc.) with flights to D.C., NYC,
Chicago, Miami.

2) Car Dealerships

a) Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, and Land Rover would be nice.

3) Hotels, Condos, Office Buildings

a) A large waterfront hotel with 250-300 rooms. Preferably 15-20 floors

b) 10-15 story condo building overlooking the rapids

c) Nice Class-A office building along Broadway (20-25 floors)

d) A high-density apartment project for young professionals downtown

4) Jobs

a) Continued expansion of the Muscogee County Technology Park

b) Push for more military contracting companies and aerospace companies

1b) I think I read somewhere that this is being planned

1e) I hope this happens soon, I'd also like a direct flight to Cincinnati since I fly up that way once every few months

3) One of the items on Mayor Tomlinson's agenda if reelected was to develop more property on the riverfront between the TSYS building and the Bibb City area. If this happens I'm hoping some of these will take place as part of that development

4) More higher paying technology related jobs are something I'm hoping to see

Old 03-26-2014, 07:21 AM

I was reading over some old threads and saw mention of someone wanting a water park. That got me thinking that with the one that was in Auburn now closed Columbus would be a great spot for something like that. I'm not expecting another White Water park in Columbus, but I could see a medium sized one doing well. I know I always wanted a decent one here when I was a kid and the 1 slide Water Whiz that we used to have didn't quite cut it lol.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,657,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
I was reading over some old threads and saw mention of someone wanting a water park. That got me thinking that with the one that was in Auburn now closed Columbus would be a great spot for something like that. I'm not expecting another White Water park in Columbus, but I could see a medium sized one doing well. I know I always wanted a decent one here when I was a kid and the 1 slide Water Whiz that we used to have didn't quite cut it lol.
That would be awesome. Definitely think one would do well.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
That would be awesome. Definitely think one would do well.
Especially since the nearest one I know of is White Water up near Atlanta. It would be a great tourism draw.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,847,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
Wait!

Surf Side Water Park closed?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Wait!

Surf Side Water Park closed?

From what I've read it closed after the 2011 season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA