Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 03:44 PM

150 posts, read 395,326 times

Advertisements

The economy may be putting a damper on new retail to the area but Columbus is expected to get a huge boost from 30,000 infantryman and their families in 2010 through 2011. With that said, what new retail stores/ projects would you like to see in the Columbus area?

My picks:
Upscale lifestyle center on or near Blackmon Rd. featuring multistory apartments/lofts with retail/dining on the first floor.

A Costco-best near Columbus Park Crossing
Five Guys and a Burger-Landings or Cross Country
Borders bookstore- like to see this or something similar on the first floor of Eagle and Phenix lofts.
Ruth Chris' Steakhouse- first floor fronting road of Eagle and Phenix lofts.
Whole Foods in Midtown area
Upscale retail to begin construction at Village at Columbus Park Crossing

Old 09-20-2009, 05:40 PM

88 posts, read 205,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmandr View Post
The economy may be putting a damper on new retail to the area but Columbus is expected to get a huge boost from 30,000 infantryman and their families in 2010 through 2011. With that said, what new retail stores/ projects would you like to see in the Columbus area?

My picks:
Upscale lifestyle center on or near Blackmon Rd. featuring multistory apartments/lofts with retail/dining on the first floor.

Borders bookstore- like to see this or something similar on the first floor of Eagle and Phenix lofts.
The Billings company just got out by the skin of their teeth due to architect flaw from losing their a** on lifestyle center with apts and even an amphitheater on Blackmon Rd across from Greystone.
Ruth Chris in Columbus....no way!!
Whole Foods Midtown...Macon Rd/midtown is now known locally as Chittlen trail.
Columbus needs JOBS JOBS JOBS and not more minimum wage retail storefronts and again for maybe the 100th time there are no 30k in soldiers deploying from Ft Knox as the majority will be transient trainees and about a few hundred contractors.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:18 PM

64 posts, read 181,407 times
Quote:

My picks:

Costco got bumped when Walmart sold the city the South Columbus Walmart plan than never materialized(no real surpise)
Red Robin is barely hanging in there with $10 hamburgers so Five Guys would have a tougher time.
No retailer with a brain would locate at Eagle or Phenix lofts.
Midtown is on its last leg and will eventually be owned by the rich minorities who have already bought many homes in the lakebottom/auburn ave area.
Nuff said.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:30 PM

244 posts, read 865,553 times
Quote:
Why? There's already a Super Walmart and a Sam's club at Columbus Park Crossing...and another Super Walmart a few streets over on Airport Thruway. You can get from one to the other in about 5-10 minutes. I honestly don't think Columbus needs a Costco. There is enough big box retail here.

Quote:
The health profile of the residents here would have to improve greatly for Whole Foods to consider opening a location here. Whole Foods' price point alone would ensure a quick demise in Columbus.

Quote:
There is enough shopping at Columbus Park Crossing...seriously.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:30 AM

33 posts, read 101,116 times
isn't there a Costco just past Polaris Parkway? I'm pretty sure I saw one from 71 one day....

Ruth Chris...there IS already one of those off of 23 I believe.

I want IHOP in columbus... they just built one in Lancaster, so I hope they keep expanding slightly northwest to Dublin

Old 09-25-2009, 04:34 AM

33 posts, read 101,116 times
If you click on Columbus OHIO forum it brings me here MOD CUT?

Last edited by NewToCA; 09-25-2009 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: language

Old 09-25-2009, 07:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlete218 View Post
If you click on Columbus OHIO forum it brings me here?
The issue has been reported to the Administrator, and should be resolved shortly.

Last edited by NewToCA; 09-25-2009 at 09:48 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 10:04 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Actually I think more local stuff particularly restaurants is needed not more expensive chains. I've been to the Ruth Chris here in VA was right on the Potomac with a nice view of the capitol building and the Washington monument. Very nice. Was it worth of the $100+ bill that accompanied this dinner for two. Not really. I enjoyed it but I just don't think Columbus is that type of town and in a way I'm glad it isn't.

So yeah more locally owned restaurants that are innovative and unique but at the same not so unique as to drive away business. If there's one thing that Columbus likes to do is eat.

I think stores that sale more middle of the road and cheaper items are going to do better in Columbus than upscale stores. Now an upscale bar on the other hand would do well but not an upscale store. So I'd say H&M and Forever 21 should definitely set up shop in C-town. Well maybe a Filene's Basement but that particular chain isn't doing very well. They just closed a store up here in an area that is very upscale with plenty of money. So if they can't make it there then they might not do well in Columbus I'm not sure but yeah either that or Loehmann's.

I like Borders but C-town has Books a Million and Barnes and Noble. From a business stand point I dont' think the market could handle another book store.

Now pardon me while I contradict myself but despite just saying no upscale stores I'd say that an Apple store might do well. Everyone loves ipods. It'd particularly good if there's someone who can fix ipods there. That's better than sending it away to be fixed or driving to the Apple store in Atlanta.

As far as Whole Foods is concerned let me say this: Columbus is fat enough, y'all don't need no mo' grocery stores. Joke. But yeah there's enough grocery stores. I think adding a gourmet section to some of the stores we already have might be a better move. Trader Joes has some inexpensive items so that'd be a better route than fancy Whole Foods.

Of course Columbus could always use a few more liquor stores.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
NOTE:

There is an existing thread which covers this topic here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/colum...-columbus.html

Please add to that thread rather than create a new one. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA