Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:02 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,876,370 times

Advertisements

Just a little more re-enforcement for my statements:

Quote:
Bade said since putting in the necessary digital adapters, one of which has to be installed on every television now, she's been unable to watch one channel and record a show on another at the same time. She also complained about a delay in going from one channel to another.
Wow! cable upgrade upsets some Northeast Ohio customers | cleveland.com

Lastly, a printed black-and-white statement from WOW! saying that as of June 17th, they will require a DTA (supplied by WOW!) in order to view ANY channels:

Quote:
On or after June 17, 2014, WOW! Internet, Cable and Phone will start encrypting Basic Cable on your cable system. If you have a set-top box, digital transport adapter (DTA), or a retail CableCARD device connected to each of your TVs, you will be unaffected by this change. However, if you are currently receiving Basic Cable on any TV without equipment supplied by WOW! Internet, Cable and Phone, you will lose the ability to view any channels on that TV.
http://www.wowway.com/docs/wow/alldi...4.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 08:12 AM

23 posts, read 38,351 times
dude, can you read?

A DTA is not the same thing as a cable box. full stop. (yes, what I asked what one was cause I've never heard of people still having analog tvs in 2014. then I googled it.)

read your own fricking quote: "If you have a set-top box, digital transport adapter (DTA), or a retail CableCARD device connected to each of your TVs, you will be unaffected by this change."

fricking A. set-top box or a cablecard do not require a DTA. full stop.

yes, if you had basic analog cable you will need a digital device from the cable company of some type in today's digital world. um, duh??????

1. who the heck has basic analog cable? and why would they do something so stupid? you're better off cutting the cord and going internet only. (or using areo). but yes, they're complaining. in 2014. I got it. well time to join the 21st century.

2. if you have a fricking digital tv you don't need a fricking DTA. you need a digital cable box or cablecard (as your own fricking quotes evince).

I'm done with you until you learn to read the English language.

here's your problem: you think that DTA = digital set-top box of any kind. read again "If you have a set-top box.....or a retail CableCARD device connected to each of your TVs, you will be unaffected by this change." um, duh! cause you already have digital inputs.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 AM

from the article you linked to:

"The digital adapters, or one-way video devices that allow an analog TV to display channels that have been transmitted in a digital format..."

again, who the heck has an analog tv??? I've had Verizon FIOS for years. I can assure you it's all digital and I don't need a DTA for my HDTV. I just the need the Verizon cable box/modem....just like everyone else who has a tv and cable. yes, you used to receive basic cable using the internal QAM tuner in an HDTV (but why would you pay for basic cable when you can receive the same channels OTA for free)...but all cable companies have moved to encryption on all channels. so you just need a cablebox (if you have an HDTV, then you don't need a DTA (which won't actually work since it converts to analog, you need a cable set-top box)). this is true everywhere. WOW is just late to the party apparently. trust me, you want that cable set-top box because you want the on-demand programming. why the hell you'd spend money on cable otherwise is beyond me.

Last edited by cityboy75; 05-07-2014 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: s

Old 05-07-2014, 12:27 PM

Boy, oh, boy. To even more validate my point (as if it needed any more validating), you don't even live here (noted by your reference to Verizon FIOS), and I do live here and have years and years of technical experience (and plenty of English experience) -- I don't know why you (or anyone else for that matter) won' trust the facts.

Quote:
On or after June 17, 2014, WOW! Internet, Cable and Phone will start encrypting Basic Cable on your cable system. If you have a set-top box, digital transport adapter (DTA), or a retail CableCARD device connected to each of your TVs, you will be unaffected by this change. However, if you are currently receiving Basic Cable on any TV without equipment supplied by WOW! Internet, Cable and Phone, you will lose the ability to view any channels on that TV.
If you have "set-top box, digital transport adapter (DTA), or a retail CableCARD", per quote, these are still supplied by WOW! Currently, a customer with an "analog TV" as you call it OR a "digital TV" with a QAM tuner, no equipment is required, NONE, ZERO, ZIP. Just the coax out of the wall, into the TV. But as of June 17th you will be required to have (1) a DTA box (rented from WOW! for each month forever), or (2) set-top box, digital transport adapter (DTA), or a retail CableCARD - all of which would still be rented from WOW!

No reason to continue insulting me or anyone else here, the facts are the facts. If you don't believe me, feel free to call WOW! and let's set the record straight, 706-221-1000. This is beside the fact that I have a brand-new Vizio TV that is 10 feet from me that is unable to get any of the digital channels, unless I have our DTA plugged in, and then - boom - channels are available, thanks to DTA.

Best of luck and I hope you'll prove me wrong, but I'm doubtful that WOW! will have anything different to say than I've already said, and quoted from their website.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:48 PM

so you just agreed with me. thank you. yes, you need either 1, 2 or 3. as I was saying all along. you just kept insisting that you needed a DTA no matter what. (which you don't if you have 1 or 3.) now you concede. thanks.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy75 View Post
so you just agreed with me. thank you. yes, you need either 1, 2 or 3. as I was saying all along. you just kept insisting that you needed a DTA no matter what. (which you don't if you have 1 or 3.) now you concede. thanks.
Apparently you were confused, I was never saying that you needed a DTA if you had a set-top box or CableCARD; I was saying if currently you don't have any type of rented equipment from WOW! you would not be required to get a set-top box, CableCARD or DTA. But, whatever.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:06 PM

183 posts, read 256,286 times
When my brother and I would argue the way you two are, my Mom would make us hug and rub noses. I know you're not siblings, but still gave me a flashback to when I was a youngster ;-)

Old 05-30-2014, 04:29 PM

183 posts, read 256,286 times
Oh my stars, I can't believe I'm opening this can of worms again, but here I go.

We have purchased a house in Cataula. Moving on July 7. I've been looking on Mediacom's website (and also spoke with a rep today). The package we are considering (which is the PerformancePak Whole Home with TiVo) indicates that they provide service on up to 3 TV sets and the price includes 3 converters. No extra charge for those. You have to pay $5.00 per month for the internet modem and $5.00 per month for the phone modem. Their website indicates that if you have a HDTV, they will upgrade the receiver to an HD receiver at no added cost.

Last edited by bigsurluvr; 05-30-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 07:15 AM

I'm getting the impression that in rural Georgia you still have a lot of people with really old TV sets or with more recent TVs that only subscribe to basic cable. this is gonna be interesting....

Old 06-02-2014, 07:19 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,697,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy75 View Post
I'm getting the impression that in rural Georgia you still have a lot of people with really old TV sets or with more recent TVs that only subscribe to basic cable. this is gonna be interesting....
Rural where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA