Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2015, 04:55 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am coming up this weekend from Orlando to see an Auburn game, however I plan to see some things in the area. For one thing, I had no idea how many impressive attractions and things to do Metro Columbus had, very pleasantly surprising.

I think our plan is to come up Friday, and visit either the National Infantry Museum, or the FDR Little White House site. Then perhaps spend the evening walking up and down the main street, along the riverwalk, etc. Is it pretty safe to do so, even after dark, and are there any other considerations to be aware of? It looked vibrant, but I wanted to make sure, and also if there were any particular good yet reasonably priced restaurants in the area.

Saturday of course would be gameday most of the day, we were planning on going to eat at the Toomer's Drug Store, and of course walking around and taking it all in, maybe going to the waterfall. Then hanging out around campus afterwards also.

Sunday, we were planning on either doing the one of the two museums we hadn't Friday, or spending an hour or two walking around Providence Canyon before heading back.

So that's it.

Any additional advice or feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 07:47 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Hello all,

I am coming up this weekend from Orlando to see an Auburn game, however I plan to see some things in the area. For one thing, I had no idea how many impressive attractions and things to do Metro Columbus had, very pleasantly surprising.

I think our plan is to come up Friday, and visit either the National Infantry Museum, or the FDR Little White House site. Then perhaps spend the evening walking up and down the main street, along the riverwalk, etc. Is it pretty safe to do so, even after dark, and are there any other considerations to be aware of? It looked vibrant, but I wanted to make sure, and also if there were any particular good yet reasonably priced restaurants in the area.

Saturday of course would be gameday most of the day, we were planning on going to eat at the Toomer's Drug Store, and of course walking around and taking it all in, maybe going to the waterfall. Then hanging out around campus afterwards also.

Sunday, we were planning on either doing the one of the two museums we hadn't Friday, or spending an hour or two walking around Providence Canyon before heading back.

So that's it.

Any additional advice or feedback?
Former resident of Orlando here. Where will you be staying in Columbus? Here is a great website for things to do in Columbus while you are visiting.

Attractions and Things To Do In Georgia | Columbus, GA CVB

Here is what I recommend to check out while you are in the area.

1) National Infantry Museum - The National Infantry Museum Columbus Georgia | 1775 Legacy Way 706-685-5800 - The Official Site for the National Infantry Museum

2) Rent a bike and take a tour of downtown, the Historic District, and the Riverwalk

3) Depending on the temperature, I would check out the whitewater rafting course and the zipline downtown Whitewater Rafting in Georgia | Columbus, GA CVB

4) Definitely try some of the restaurants downtown. Places like The Loft, 11th & Bay, Cannon Brew Pub, The Social, Meritage, and Mabella's are absolutely fantastic.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Old 11-09-2015, 06:09 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Thanks, that is helpful! Unfortunately not sure specifically, but I know if not downtown, it's within about 10 minutes or so.

That bike trail and the Riverwalk sounds awesome.

Whitewater Rafting sounds really cool also!! Is it still in season?

Is there one of those restaurants you'd particularly recommend? I'm somewhat budget conscious, the people I'm traveling with are moreso, so if entrees could be ordered for $12 or less that'd be ideal. Also, I am much more willing to explore different cuisines, but the people I'm traveling with are basically a meat and potatoes crowd.

And I guess the only other question is if there are any areas near or off the main strip where it would do us well to be careful, esp. after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA