Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:12 AM

297 posts, read 259,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
I also think airlines are shortsighted in not coming here. I read that Columbus has some 3,000 travelers a DAY, that fly to or from Columbus---a DAY!. Most of these people drive or shuttle to Atlanta. If we had more choices here, particularly opportunities to bypass Atlanta, MANY of those travelers would very likely "Fly Columbus!"
I’m also a firm believer that much more needs to be done to revitalize our airport and attract commercial service, although proximity to the worlds busiest airport definitely doesnt work in our favor. It’s no coincidence that Georgia only has one major airport and all others have very limited service with the expception of Savannah-Hilton Head which is descent. Most of the other airports in the entire state including ours only have limited connecting flights to Atlanta, and that also is no coincidence. At one point Macon and Athens lost commercial service all together, and IMO in large part due to proximity to Atlanta as well. To put it in perspective, there is no reason why Valdosta or Albany would have more air service than Macon other than the proximity issue.....I know sometimes we compare Columbus to other similar sized metros outside of Georgia in relation to air service, but the other cities in the state is where the most reasonable comparison would be based on similar to identical intra-state challenges.

No doubt in my mind that things can improve over time....But Columbus needs to be much more strategic, innovative, and aggressive in our approach considering the challenges that we have. Many of us see and recognize the potential and that’s where the frustration lies; the city has to find a way to unlock and capitalize on maximizing that potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 10:27 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcolumbus View Post
i'm also surprised we are currently lacking in professional sports. We really need to get our hockey and baseball teams back.

On the retail front, if we could get another decent sized retail center in a good area that might bring in some of the things we have been lacking. I have a feeling there are a good number of companies that want to locate here but are waiting for the right spot. I know we had lots of developments planned for cpc, veterans, and riverchase in phenix city but those seem to be on hold indefinitely. We do seem to have some work going toward the center in midland, lets hope that happens soon.

Our leaders really need to push to bring attention and development to our area!
yep! Yep! Yep!

Old 05-22-2018, 11:45 AM

85 posts, read 64,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungprofessional View Post
i’m also a firm believer that much more needs to be done to revitalize our airport and attract commercial service, although proximity to the worlds busiest airport definitely doesnt work in our favor. It’s no coincidence that georgia only has one major airport and all others have very limited service with the expception of savannah-hilton head which is descent. Most of the other airports in the entire state including ours only have limited connecting flights to atlanta, and that also is no coincidence. At one point macon and athens lost commercial service all together, and imo in large part due to proximity to atlanta as well. To put it in perspective, there is no reason why valdosta or albany would have more air service than macon other than the proximity issue.....i know sometimes we compare columbus to other similar sized metros outside of georgia in relation to air service, but the other cities in the state is where the most reasonable comparison would be based on similar to identical intra-state challenges.

No doubt in my mind that things can improve over time....but columbus needs to be much more strategic, innovative, and aggressive in our approach considering the challenges that we have. Many of us see and recognize the potential and that’s where the frustration lies; the city has to find a way to unlock and capitalize on maximizing that potential.
agreed 100%

Old 05-23-2018, 02:25 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
I’m also a firm believer that much more needs to be done to revitalize our airport and attract commercial service, although proximity to the worlds busiest airport definitely doesnt work in our favor. It’s no coincidence that Georgia only has one major airport and all others have very limited service with the expception of Savannah-Hilton Head which is descent. Most of the other airports in the entire state including ours only have limited connecting flights to Atlanta, and that also is no coincidence. At one point Macon and Athens lost commercial service all together, and IMO in large part due to proximity to Atlanta as well. To put it in perspective, there is no reason why Valdosta or Albany would have more air service than Macon other than the proximity issue.....I know sometimes we compare Columbus to other similar sized metros outside of Georgia in relation to air service, but the other cities in the state is where the most reasonable comparison would be based on similar to identical intra-state challenges.

No doubt in my mind that things can improve over time....But Columbus needs to be much more strategic, innovative, and aggressive in our approach considering the challenges that we have. Many of us see and recognize the potential and that’s where the frustration lies; the city has to find a way to unlock and capitalize on maximizing that potential.
WOW, YoungProfessional, you've hit the nail on the proverbial head!! I understand and agree with all of your observations, and especially with the last paragraph. Competition would drive down fares, and dramatically increase local use of our airport. The "direct" market is here! Let's shoot for DC, Charlotte, and Chicago!
And bring back DFW.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:57 AM

309 posts, read 257,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post

Proximity to Atlanta is definitely holding it back. I think Columbus should partner with Auburn and Opelika to build a larger regional airport in AL. It would still be (relatively) close to Ft. Benning, but would serve a much larger group of people—especially ones flying into Auburn for events such as football games and graduation.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:13 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,162,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
Proximity to Atlanta is definitely holding it back. I think Columbus should partner with Auburn and Opelika to build a larger regional airport in AL. It would still be (relatively) close to Ft. Benning, but would serve a much larger group of people—especially ones flying into Auburn for events such as football games and graduation.
That's what I been saying. Some people think its crazy,but the airport needs to be relocated. It's bringing nothing to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA