Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:45 PM

209 posts, read 313,291 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Have you ever known anyone that you were surprised to find out was a Republican, conservative, or Libertarian?

In other words, someone who by their views on certain non political matters, behaviors, general attitudes in life, cultural traits, lifestyle seemed to be more of the liberal type, yet for some reason they politically were on the right?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 01:02 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

Have you ever known anyone that you were surprised to find out was a Republican, conservative, or Libertarian?

In other words, someone who by their views on certain non political matters, behaviors, general attitudes in life, cultural traits, lifestyle seemed to be more of the liberal type, yet for some reason they politically were on the right?

Thanks
My old next door neighbor. By "old" I mean ex, not that she was old. Anyway, she's very much like a hippie, she's in to those crystals, and incense, and her and her friends like to get high, and they do all kinds of things that are earthy...which isn't so bad, really, (I don't agree with the drugs part and smelling it wasn't a treat), but I don't know a whole lot of Conservatives who are in to crystals, and readings, and things like that.

Anyway, when my car broke down, she would offer me rides to the store and we would talk on the way there and back. Some things she was misinformed about, but overall, I discovered that she's not a leftist communist scum, (just kidding libs...it's a joke, back off), she's actually quite Libertarian, leaning towards fiscally Conservative.

I will say, I thought I knew how to save money...pscht. She is the deal finding, coupon Queen. Every time I went to the grocery store with her, I would spend about $50 less than if I went on my own. She could find a deal that was buried. I don't know how the hell she did it. I'd pass right by the same damn thing she ended up looking at, and I never saw that fricken sticker that said, "$5.00 off, Manager Special", but she always did, mere seconds behind me. If I didn't save so much, it would have been annoying.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:09 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
There's enough overlap between liberals and libertarians that unless you hit on the right topic you might be unable to distinguish the two.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
I have met some people who i was surprised considered themselves Liberal/Democrats.

Not many who i was surprised that they were conservative.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:11 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
My old next door neighbor. By "old" I mean ex, not that she was old. Anyway, she's very much like a hippie, she's in to those crystals, and incense, and her and her friends like to get high, and they do all kinds of things that are earthy...which isn't so bad, really, (I don't agree with the drugs part and smelling it wasn't a treat), but I don't know a whole lot of Conservatives who are in to crystals, and readings, and things like that.

Anyway, when my car broke down, she would offer me rides to the store and we would talk on the way there and back. Some things she was misinformed about, but overall, I discovered that she's not a leftist communist scum, (just kidding libs...it's a joke, back off), she's actually quite Libertarian, leaning towards fiscally Conservative.

I will say, I thought I knew how to save money...pscht. She is the deal finding, coupon Queen. Every time I went to the grocery store with her, I would spend about $50 less than if I went on my own. She could find a deal that was buried. I don't know how the hell she did it. I'd pass right by the same damn thing she ended up looking at, and I never saw that fricken sticker that said, "$5.00 off, Manager Special", but she always did, mere seconds behind me. If I didn't save so much, it would have been annoying.
There are probably more people like this out there than we realize.
Hippies, in spite of their living-in-a-commune ways, can also be "down with the man!" in their attitudes towards government. Actually, when it comes to politics, it makes sense for them to be libertarian all while sharing everything amongst themselves. Like a lot of us, they just want to do what they want and be left alone. Government and the political parties that control it, only impedes that. And when the government tries to get on the commune(ist) bandwagon, well, we know how well that turns out...

Old 03-30-2014, 01:36 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
I've met people who said they were conservative but when we discussed policy they weren't really conservative.
But other than that, no.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:39 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
A friend if my brothers was a Dead Head hippie type growing up and recently he friended me on Facebook.
After not seeing or hearing from him for years I kind of just assumed he'd be a Liberal but that' turned out not to be the case.
He's still a Dead Head although a toned down version of his foemer self and is very much a fiscal Conservative/social Libertarian.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:41 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
There's enough overlap between liberals and libertarians that unless you hit on the right topic you might be unable to distinguish the two.
Funny, as a libertarian I have trouble distinguishing between libs and conservatives. See the current state of the nation for how the two parties govern the same. Yet members of said parties are aways extolling the supposed unique virtues of their own party.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:54 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Have you ever met anyone who you were suprised to find out was a Republican, conservative, or Libertarian
Yes, most of the people I know who are on welfare turn out to be Republicans.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:47 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
I learned my brother's father-in-law is a libertarian and quite active in promoting its mythos, to my surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies