Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:09 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and me got lost and gave up looking for Fat Cats. We hear music blasting out of a building and think it's a club. We see people going into the building so we follow.

We go up the stairs and it's actually a small-medium house party. I explain that I thought this was a bar or whatever and tell some people on the stairs we didn't mean to bother them. They invited us in and we had drinks and talked for hours with various people, all of whom were so nice I was taken aback I was even experiencing this.

I just wanted to say that as a typical tourist (well, I'm military, stationed in NJ and go there frequently), I've had only good experiences in NYC and this was the topping. I'm going to miss this place when I transfer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
respect.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
My girlfriend and me got lost and gave up looking for Fat Cats. We hear music blasting out of a building and think it's a club. We see people going into the building so we follow.

We go up the stairs and it's actually a small-medium house party. I explain that I thought this was a bar or whatever and tell some people on the stairs we didn't mean to bother them. They invited us in and we had drinks and talked for hours with various people, all of whom were so nice I was taken aback I was even experiencing this.

I just wanted to say that as a typical tourist (well, I'm military, stationed in NJ and go there frequently), I've had only good experiences in NYC and this was the topping. I'm going to miss this place when I transfer.

Thanks, We are social, Kind and yet tough.

Very cool you got invited into a random house party. I am here over 30 years and never got that. Awesome!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM

171 posts, read 305,267 times
awesome story.
i love when the rude NY'er stereotype get crushed.
the city will miss you as well so please come back and visit us often!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post

I love stories like these.

Now that I live out of state some people ask me where are you from? I say New York City and they say ooooh I always thought a NYer would be rude and unfriendly, you are the complete opposite!

It cheers me up to hear those words because as a native NYer I find my other fellow NYers to be extremely helpful and friendly.

Just because we are in a rush going to and fro looking overall busy does not mean I won't stop, lend a hand or speak to a stranger who is looking for assistance. Afterall that is how I met my husband who was a tourist.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times
Every time people say New Yorkers are rude, I get pretty frustrated. I can understand getting an anti-social/cold vibe, mainly because we're pretty private people who spend our lives in out in public and aren't really phased by anything so can appear indifferent, but once you get to know us we're pretty awesome, if I may say so myself. Glad to hear you had a good experience.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I love stories like these.

....Just because we are in a rush going to and fro looking overall busy does not mean I won't stop, lend a hand or speak to a stranger who is looking for assistance. Afterall that is how I met my husband who was a tourist.
Back when visited as an adult I found many helpful people and just as you said during busy lunch hour time in Manhattan I needed directions so I asked a passerby. Not only did he give the directions but offered to walk me there too. And no, before you assume he was hitting on me he was a white middle aged businessman and I was this young black girl, he had no interest in me he was just being nice.

I find the only time NY'ers are impatient is when someone wasting their time, their money, or just being obnoxious or stupid otherwise they (we ) are really sweet.

Another time after having dinner with a friend on my way home a man came up to me and offered me a Broadway ticket to a play but I would have to attend at that moment. He explained that they were tickets he got on business but the other party was unable to attend so he gave me the ticket. It had been a long time since I'd seen a Broadway play.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,045 times
A lot of people are really nice here, to be honest. The only time people do get rude is when their time is wasted, etc. There are even ruder people elsewhere but with so many people here, no one doesnt have bad days

Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Some of the nicest people I know are from New York.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
Watching those what would you do style shows NYers are always the ones that step up and defend or make a statement. A majority of the people here are not rude, just busy and need to get to work. Hell, I saw a guy that I assumed was a thug jump from his subway seat and had an old asian woman sit down. It's the small minority that makes this area look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: