Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 01:45 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,659,581 times

Advertisements

Proposed

Hwy. 27/Ga. 1 rehabilitation
GDOT will hold a public open house from 4:30 to 7 p.m. July 8 at the Pierce Chapel Methodist Church in Midland regarding a proposed project that spans northern Muscogee County into Harris County.
The proposal would widen the two-lane and three-lane U.S. 27 and Ga. 1 to a four-lane section with a four-foot flush median from Turnberry Lane in Muscogee County to just north of East Bonacre Road in Harris County, and then overlay the existing roadway to Ga. 315 in Catuala, according to a GDOT press release. The Ga. 315 intersection with U.S. 17/Ga. 1 is proposed to be a new roundabout. This would be a huge project and is needed.

Under Construction

Fort Benning Road — Roundabout and streetscape

Roundabout construction is underway at Fort Benning, Cusseta and Brennan Roads.
Sidewalks have also been added along Fort Benning Road near the Fort Benning gate and the road has been resurfaced. A connection from Fort Benning Road to Shelby Street will give pedestrians access to the Follow Me Trail.

Estimated completion date: End of summer 2020

River Road Roundabout

A section of Bradley Park Drive between State Route 219/River Road and Brookstone Boulevard is currently closed as city-hired contractors work to complete the roundabout. In July 2018, Columbus Council approved a $4.5 million contract for Southeastern Site Development to build the five-point roundabout.

Estimated completion date: April 2020

JR Allen Parkway Traffic meters
The Georgia Department of Transportation has recently been working to install cameras and traffic signals at the entrances to JR Allen Parkway to slow the number of cars merging onto the roadway, as well as message boards to notify drivers of any issues. The cameras will not be used to issue speeding citations but for traffic monitoring.

In the development/design phase

Buena Vista Road Spiderweb intersection
The city is underway with right-of-way acquisition for the $48 million TSPLOST project. The “spiderweb” name comes from the intersection of several collector roadways into one area. Construction will require a new bridge over existing railway. This project should be bid out by the end of 2019.

Infantry Road and Trail
This east/west trail will connect the Follow Me Trail to the RiverWalk and provide a road connection between Fort Benning Road and South Lumpkin Road at the roundabout by Columbus Water Works. The trail is currently being designed.The 10th Street Plaza, Mott’s Green renovation, Fortson Road/Williams Road roundabout and the Liberty District trail connection are all currently under development as well.

Beaver Run/Macon Road and Lynch Road/Technology Parkway proposed roundabouts
Columbus Council passed a resolution last spring supporting the Georgia Department of Transportation’s plans to construct two new roundabouts, one at the intersection of Spurr 22 and Lynch Road/Technology Parkway and one at Spurr 22 and Macon Road. GDOT is to design and construct the round intersections while the city will be responsible for maintenance and lighting of the roundabouts once completed. GDOT is moving forward with the designs.

Buena Vista/I-185 Interchange
GDOT is currently working to obtain right-of-way for the $40 million diverging diamond concept. They are aggressive with their right of way plan; they think they will be out to bid on this project by the end of the year.

Calumet Drive culvert
The city expects the new culvert to be delivered by the end of June with an estimated project completion date of December 2019, at which point the road can be reopened.

Cusseta Road/I-185 Interchange
GDOT is pursuing this $58 million project, Hodge said. The interchange will provide better access to the interstate.

Benning Drive, Reese Drive and Claradon Avenue bridges

These projects are currently under development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 PM

123 posts, read 110,451 times
I don't know how to feel about the widening of US 27 into Harris County. It might not be practical because of so much residential development already along the two-lane section that could impede it even being possible.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmeteorology123 View Post
I don't know how to feel about the widening of US 27 into Harris County. It might not be practical because of so much residential development already along the two-lane section that could impede it even being possible.
It’s much needed. Traffic is getting worse on that stretch. A lot of planned development is coming that way.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
It’s much needed. Traffic is getting worse on that stretch. A lot of planned development is coming that way.
I hope so. I’d definitely like to see it. It would only be the third divided road in Harris County besides I-185 and ALT US 27/GA 85 up to Ellerslie.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmeteorology123 View Post
I hope so. I’d definitely like to see it. It would only be the third divided road in Harris County besides I-185 and ALT US 27/GA 85 up to Ellerslie.
Hopefully this will help attract development to the Cataula area. Harris County needs to join the 21st century and accept commercial development.

Last edited by Columbus1984; 06-19-2019 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 03:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 883,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Hopefully this will help attract development to the Catalina area. Harris County needs to join the 21st century and accept commercial development.
Hey they got that Dollar General about to open on Veterans.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Hey they got that Dollar General about to open on Veterans.
That’s still Columbus city limits. Right on the line.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:18 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,315 times
I wish GDOT would look up something called TURN LANES. Right and left turn lanes at intersections that make the most sense, how ****ing hard is that to figure out? You don't need to widen roads, hop in a stick shift car, and figure out which intersections need a damn turn lane when someone has to make a left or right turn in front of you during rush hour traffic volumes.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:48 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,315 times
Is that so damn hard?
Attached Thumbnails
Metro Road Construction Update-intersection.jpg   Metro Road Construction Update-intersection2.jpg  

Old 06-19-2019, 09:54 PM

Also, River Rd is currently being expanded to four lanes near the Harris/Muscogee County line, as I drive by there earlier today. Here’s a overview of the project:

http://www.ga-tia.com/Content/pdf/00...r%20Valley.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA