Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 02:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 880,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Okay, the best way I can’t put it. Most airports don’t ever lose money in parking fees. And if they start to, they raise the rates. Things like that. I’m saying they could, and should, respond to the market. Little things. And again, I’m NOT saying that they aren’t making profits. I’m saying that there are places where they could earn more where it seems they’re just losing it. Maybe hemorrhaging wasn’t the best choice of words I’ll admit.

I'm not sure what you mean by losing money in parking fees? That's not something you can lose money on, there's no real associated costs after the parking is built.

I'm not arguing that the airport is perfect, but compared to where it was a couple years ago, they've done a tremendous amount of capital improvement projects (including repaving that parking lot) and are in the middle of upgrading the terminal and improving the hangars, some of which are in dire need of repair.

E: sorry, I reread your first comment, and understand now what you meant by parking. Are you just basing that off of this August report? That 5% decrease is year over year, which doesn't indicate at all a trend. For example the June report parking revenue was a 16% increase YoY.

And with the size of CSG parking, a 5% deviation in a month YoY, we're talking maybe a couple hundred dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 04:58 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,902,377 times
Quote:
From what I read they’re also hemorrhaging money... not working hard to bring in strong revenue. Which in itself can’t be good either. Almost everything bad is up (utility cost, hangar rents) and everything good is down (parking sales, etc) from last year.
Thanks for seeing the same things I'm seeing in the minutes Brandon. Rather than being minutes, we're getting a transcript. It's almost laughable. There's a federal grant available to the airport to attract an additional carrier, a grant which CSG has very successfully managed to ignore.

I get so frustrated at the lack of competition to Delta's monopoly! It's been stated on the CSG website that there are some 3,000 Columbus-area travelers who use Atlanta DAILY...most of them driving there or using Groome. Thus, we have the business, just have to get it back! Much easier security here and baggage check , with no hassle here, but we need cheaper fares and more flight options!! The number one Columbus flyer destination is DC, so a direct to DC seems like a no-brainer, BUT CSG management and powers-to-be would have to care first!!

Old 10-18-2019, 06:16 PM

1,124 posts, read 925,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by losing money in parking fees? That's not something you can lose money on, there's no real associated costs after the parking is built.

I'm not arguing that the airport is perfect, but compared to where it was a couple years ago, they've done a tremendous amount of capital improvement projects (including repaving that parking lot) and are in the middle of upgrading the terminal and improving the hangars, some of which are in dire need of repair.

E: sorry, I reread your first comment, and understand now what you meant by parking. Are you just basing that off of this August report? That 5% decrease is year over year, which doesn't indicate at all a trend. For example the June report parking revenue was a 16% increase YoY.

And with the size of CSG parking, a 5% deviation in a month YoY, we're talking maybe a couple hundred dollars.
Well, it matters because that money is used to support other items at the airport. Such as salaries and infrastructure upgrades. Plus, parking lots must be maintained (grass trimmed around the lot so that it doesn’t crack the asphalt, tarring and sealing where there is cracked asphalt, keeping signs such as directional and handicapped in good condition or replaced, removing trash, removing graffiti, etc) and hopefully, if they become busy enough (the airport) the money used from parking can be used to pave more or build a parking deck. So they do have continued cost though minor, they add up.

On a side not, is Columbus’ airport back to pre recession numbers yet? I only ask because my local airport isn’t, but CHS, GVL, MYB, and SAV all have bounced back and passed those levels.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:06 AM

1,054 posts, read 880,580 times
Quote:
Well, it matters because that money is used to support other items at the airport. Such as salaries and infrastructure upgrades. Plus, parking lots must be maintained (grass trimmed around the lot so that it doesn’t crack the asphalt, tarring and sealing where there is cracked asphalt, keeping signs such as directional and handicapped in good condition or replaced, removing trash, removing graffiti, etc) and hopefully, if they become busy enough (the airport) the money used from parking can be used to pave more or build a parking deck. So they do have continued cost though minor, they add up.
No money making entity considers making less money a good thing, but a few hundred dollars less made in July 2019 than in July 2018 is hardly a point for concern (remember in no way is it a trend for the year) and that money isn't at all dependant to being able to pay salaries or ensure upkeep maintenance. Besides, any of the rents (parking, hangar, car rental) made at CSG, by organizational rules, has to be spent on capital improvements.

Quote:
On a side not, is Columbus’ airport back to pre recession numbers yet? I only ask because my local airport isn’t, but CHS, GVL, MYB, and SAV all have bounced back and passed those levels.
No, and it probably won't ever be. There were 3 or 4 carriers, all with multiple dailies before the recession, it was thousands of flights annually. The private traffic has returned to near recession levels, but a fair chunk of that ended up moving to other area strips, like Harris County Airport, which has more than doubled its general aviation flights since the recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA