Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:44 AM

13 posts, read 70,355 times

Advertisements

Hi all..

Will be driving through Georgia in a couple of weeks during vacation, and have a question about our route...

We're heading from Birmingham via Columbus to pick up I-75 at Tifton, and that route takes us along US 82/GA 520. It appears this route is mostly four-lane divided highway, but in places does narrow and go through a few small towns, which makes me very wary of speed traps and such - particularly going through an area in the deep south. My intent was to avoid the major interstate east out of Birmingham->Atlanta to 75 because of extensive construction on I-75 between Atlanta and Cordele, but I just don't know how "back woods" I'm going by taking the GA 520 route.

Is the planned route from Columbus to Tifton a good idea? What kind of speed can I expect to sustain? Only interested in traveling the legal limit...or would I be better off to just pick up I-75 south of Atlanta by going east out of Birmingham on I-20?

Many thanks for your thoughts,
-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 09:34 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourister View Post
Hi all..

Will be driving through Georgia in a couple of weeks during vacation, and have a question about our route...

We're heading from Birmingham via Columbus to pick up I-75 at Tifton, and that route takes us along US 82/GA 520. It appears this route is mostly four-lane divided highway, but in places does narrow and go through a few small towns, which makes me very wary of speed traps and such - particularly going through an area in the deep south. My intent was to avoid the major interstate east out of Birmingham->Atlanta to 75 because of extensive construction on I-75 between Atlanta and Cordele, but I just don't know how "back woods" I'm going by taking the GA 520 route.

Is the planned route from Columbus to Tifton a good idea? What kind of speed can I expect to sustain? Only interested in traveling the legal limit...or would I be better off to just pick up I-75 south of Atlanta by going east out of Birmingham on I-20?

Many thanks for your thoughts,
-D
That route is a good way to go. It is 4-laned all of the way to Tifton if I remember correctly. You will go thru a few small towns once you get south of Columbus, but it is a nice drive. Definitely stop in downtown Columbus while you are on your way. It is worth the stop.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 17,822 times
Default ga speed traps

hwy 82 from columbus to albany and tifton is one of georgias worst speed traps. especially the town of puolan. they have speed limits of 45 posted in many unusual areas.stay out of that part of ga if you can. any where you get off the interstate these small town police departments are waiting for you. they make a living off of travelers. stay on the interstate and let the vultures starve. The only thing in this area of ga
is cotton fields and peanuts so you wont miss anything worth seeing.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:57 AM

152 posts, read 745,932 times
Since you plan on traveling the speed limit, the before-mentioned speed traps should be a non-issue to you.

But anyways, I can only speak for the section between Albany and Tifton, since I've traveled it a few times. It's roughly a 40 mile stretch, 4-lane all the way, and I'd estimate that 30 miles of it has a 55-65 mph speed limit. There's only a couple areas a long the way that slow down to 35 mph, while passing through a town.

Drive safe!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:22 PM

209 posts, read 654,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3166 View Post
Since you plan on traveling the speed limit, the before-mentioned speed traps should be a non-issue to you.

But anyways, I can only speak for the section between Albany and Tifton, since I've traveled it a few times. It's roughly a 40 mile stretch, 4-lane all the way, and I'd estimate that 30 miles of it has a 55-65 mph speed limit. There's only a couple areas a long the way that slow down to 35 mph, while passing through a town.

Drive safe!
Since they planned on making the drive around the middle of june they either got a ticket and were arrested,decided not to go or made it by now....

Old 10-14-2008, 08:52 AM

152 posts, read 745,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Since they planned on making the drive around the middle of june they either got a ticket and were arrested,decided not to go or made it by now....
Hmmm....you're very right about that. I didn't think to check the date of the original post, I just assumed that... uh, yeah. But anywho-- thanks for enlightening me on that though.

I was going to suggest that since they were traveling from Columbus to Tifton, that they might as well stop off in Albany for a day or so, for no other reason than to enjoy all that there is here to be enjoyed, but I guess I'd have been a little late in that suggestion, as well.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 22,817 times
Be careful:
My daughter's fiance got a speeding ticket in Tifton over Easter Weekend...the police officer told him he was clocked at 90 in a 60 mph zone while everyone in the car knew he was exceeding the speed limit, he was not going 90! 80 at the most and the ticket is for $700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The driver dared not talk back to the officer, just took the ticket and went on his way.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:57 AM

117 posts, read 507,242 times
I've had experiences with speed traps in Chattahoochee County which includes the majority of Ft. Benning, and Cusetta. Webster County also has been known to set speed traps on Hwy 520 between Richland and Weston where the speed limit is 55 mph. (it goes back to 65 once you get outside of Weston). Dawson is also a town that is notorious for speed traps, and the cops drive like crazy, making insane U-turns in heavy 4 lane traffic just to try to pull someone over for going a few miles over the speed limit! Those are the only real problems I know of between Columbus and Albany on Hwy 520/82. I've never been out passed Albany on 520/82 so I'm not sure on those speed traps.

Hwy 520/82 would be so much better if there were bypasses around some of these small towns that it goes through.. especially the city of Dawson with its redlights!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 28,132 times
Traveled this area in 7/2009, followed limits, had no problems. Lots of construction though, you may want to check on that (road jobs ) before starting out.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 16,923 times
Default Speed trap GA 520 West of Richland Ga.

Just traveled from Tifton Ga, to Birmingham Al. and back. I got stopped near Mile Marker 11 which is West of Richland Ga. Desolate 4 Lane Divided Highway with 55 MPH Speed Limit. I saw 2 cops with myself and another pulled over being ticketed going west, and saw 2 cops with people pulled over being ticketed on the way back Sunday Afternoon. They said I was going 70 in 55, and cost $167.

Last edited by doubledman; 08-11-2009 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: mispelled word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA