Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:16 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,679,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
(1) is it noisy? (2) is it safe? (3) how noisy? (4) is the maintenance service good? (5) what kind of noise?
Market Mohawk is an apartment complex located just on the eastern side of downtown boarding the highway I70 and German Village (just south of downtown and I70)

It is your lucky day because I have a few friends in Market Mohawk and I have house sat when they are out of town.

1) the complex is the opposite of noisy. The eastern side of downtown and German Village are both very, very quiet. The area is pretty dead at night it is not one of the livelier sections of dowtown, but there is a lot to walk to in German Village nearby.

2) Being that it is in a area of the downtown that can feel more empty at night and it is not directly adjacent to any "bad" areas it is decently safe. Downtown has one of the better safety records of the entire metro.
But remember it is the central city though and with any other area of a city, even good ones, you should keep your doors locked, valuables hidden out of eye sight in the car, etc.

3) The Apartments actually feel like a suburban complex plopped right in the edge of downtown. This means you have little parking decks, plenty of guest parking, a community center, but your in the city. This can be a nice combination if your looking for a location in downtown but in a newer building with a more car friendly layout.

4) I am not sure on the maintenance, I do know they have a "community" site and area. The places looks well maintained and they have security in that area. The apartments are located right next to Franklin University so cars parking in the lot might be the only noise. And highway interstate noise could be noticeable.

The unit I was in was on the other side of the building from the highway. I also worked right next to those apartments and never really noticed the highway. It is below ground so I think this helps to lower the noise.

My last note would be that I70 is going to be undergoing a massive reconstruction project. They are also going to be extending Mound St. through the parking lot next door to Market Mowhawk ( the Franklin University lot.) to make a one way street to filter traffic off the of the highway.

However, this project was suppose to begin in 2010 now its 2013. It keeps getting bumped. Second, no one knows how disruptive the construction will be until it begins. Third, because you are renting here you may not even live in the area by 2013

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 9,809 times
Streetcreed, thanks for the information; that is indeed very helpful! Good to know about the upcoming I-70 project. But until then, at least, this sounds like a better area than I had expected...

Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM

90 posts, read 272,975 times
Now is the best time to buy a house, once the market bottoms out it'll start to go up. I'd just go for a smaller home of around $70,000- why would a single man need a $150,000 home, plus the upkeep is alot of work and the prop. taxes are not that cheap in Columbus. I live below my means. I could afford a nicer place that what I have, and I pocket the savings. I see no reason to live on the edge of your income.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 27,569 times
Avoid Quail Hollow condominiums (Reynoldsburg, Ohio). The neighborhood is unsafe. Walls are paper thin. Condo board is a very unfunny joke.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 AM

90 posts, read 272,975 times
The "Bottoms" area is darn unsafe. The Hill-Top area was always a nicer older neighborhood to live in, but lately the Hill Top area has been getting alot of serious crime from arson of garages and storage sheds, to gangs and drugs, shootings and home break-ins. The poor economy may have something to do with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus