Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 08:43 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times

Advertisements

http://www.grandviewheights.org/Arch...File/Item/1556

A 5-story mixed-use project has been proposed for 1123 Goodale Avenue, but no further details yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 07:52 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The guy's comment was infuriating to me, but it does confirm that at least some of the leadership is crazy out of touch with transit and the growing demand for alternatives to the car. With the 1 million additional growth expected in the next few decades, they're setting Columbus up for a traffic disaster.

However, your comment about how this applies to MT is puzzling. The city nor anyone associated with the Fisher group are associated with developing this project. Arshot is a private developer, and I assume that the higher level of parking spaces is meant to serve all of its uses, not just however many residential units it ends up having. I wish there was no parking at all, frankly, but that's going to be unrealistic unless the city starts taking transit seriously.
How is it puzzling? He's speaking on behalf of 52 CEOs of what the Columbus Partnership cites as, "Columbus’ leading businesses and institutions". When the majority of your big businesses and instructions share the notion that rail mass transit is "silly " (I can imagine him making similar comments about bikes) that's going to affect the outcome of developments like these. Where is all of the leadership that's for it? How many CEOs or company reps were at the state capitol protesting cuts to mass transit funding?

Old 05-11-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
How is it puzzling? He's speaking on behalf of 52 CEOs of what the Columbus Partnership cites as, "Columbus’ leading businesses and institutions". When the majority of your big businesses and instructions share the notion that rail mass transit is "silly " (I can imagine him making similar comments about bikes) that's going to affect the outcome of developments like these. Where is all of the leadership that's for it? How many CEOs or company reps were at the state capitol protesting cuts to mass transit funding?
Fisher is speaking for himself, but even if he wasn't, I highly doubt all those people share the exact same view. And the Columbus Partnership itself is not directly responsible for transit because it is not a transit organization. It has some influence in some ways via its own membership's opinions, but MORPC, COTA and the city itself is actually responsible for the future of transit in the city. The real question to me is how their leadership feels about rail and other alternatives. There have been other quotes about rail that were positive and how the city needed to push towards that goal, so while Fisher's view is maddening on its own, it doesn't have the weight that you seem to think it does.
If he does feel the same about bikes, that has clearly not mattered what with the expanding bike share and infrastructure, even if it is not to your standards.
In general, the rich are typically not big proponents of transit. CEOs don't use it, and they are likely pretty conservative in terms of spending public dollars on it, so it would not be much surprise to hear that business leaders are generally opposed to it.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:58 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...arsons.html#i1

A 4.5 story, 163-unit apartment complex is being planned for the northeast intersection of South Lane and S. Washington on the Near South Side off Parsons. The complex will replace quite a bit of surface parking, though there is so much in this area that there will still be room for more development down the line. Overall, a positive for the area.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:44 PM

368 posts, read 638,905 times
Great news on the millennial tower,I believe it will be built as advertised,we all are disappointed by the proposed tower being re designed at columbus commons,but every other project downtown has either been built as proposed sans cosmetic changes.o.r added to like the LCD buildings.The height issue is more disappointing in the rejected short north proposals where residents are opposed to density and height,and growth..but that's typical in any city.I would say the short north could pay second fiddle to downtown if this momentum in downtown proper continues..buildings like millennial tower create an excitement,an atmosphere that people will have to be part of.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:

A 4.5 story, 163-unit apartment complex is being planned for the northeast intersection of South Lane and S. Washington on the Near South Side off Parsons.
That neighborhood's name is Schumacher Place.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Fisher is speaking for himself, but even if he wasn't, I highly doubt all those people share the exact same view. And the Columbus Partnership itself is not directly responsible for transit because it is not a transit organization. It has some influence in some ways via its own membership's opinions, but MORPC, COTA and the city itself is actually responsible for the future of transit in the city. The real question to me is how their leadership feels about rail and other alternatives. There have been other quotes about rail that were positive and how the city needed to push towards that goal, so while Fisher's view is maddening on its own, it doesn't have the weight that you seem to think it does.
If he does feel the same about bikes, that has clearly not mattered what with the expanding bike share and infrastructure, even if it is not to your standards.
In general, the rich are typically not big proponents of transit. CEOs don't use it, and they are likely pretty conservative in terms of spending public dollars on it, so it would not be much surprise to hear that business leaders are generally opposed to it.
And you can't accept that his view is the prevailing one. If it wasn't there would be good alternatives to cars. Businesses and even suburban mayors want LRT here (see the SWLRT extension of our Green Line). They're more supportive of bike infrastructure too. And guess what? It shows. In Columbus it's a very small minority with no say. Getting that to change is going to be a long drawn out process.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
And you can't accept that his view is the prevailing one. If it wasn't there would be good alternatives to cars. Businesses and even suburban mayors want LRT here (see the SWLRT extension of our Green Line). They're more supportive of bike infrastructure too. And guess what? It shows. In Columbus it's a very small minority with no say. Getting that to change is going to be a long drawn out process.
I can't accept it because I am not convinced that it is. Historically, it wasn't just attitudes that have prevented alternatives, but a multitude of circumstances. And the fact that MORPC's long-term plan includes rail routes suggests that there are at least some people in leadership that believe it is a good idea, and ultimately they will be most responsible for making it happen, not business CEOs.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I can't accept it because I am not convinced that it is. Historically, it wasn't just attitudes that have prevented alternatives, but a multitude of circumstances. And the fact that MORPC's long-term plan includes rail routes suggests that there are at least some people in leadership that believe it is a good idea, and ultimately they will be most responsible for making it happen, not business CEOs.
So, it's all a conspiracy? There are no circumstances Columbus is facing that other cities haven't already overcome.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:50 AM

114 posts, read 125,224 times
Quote:

A 4.5 story, 163-unit apartment complex is being planned for the northeast intersection of South Lane and S. Washington on the Near South Side off Parsons. The complex will replace quite a bit of surface parking, though there is so much in this area that there will still be room for more development down the line. Overall, a positive for the area.
The demolition of the Eastside might be over.

Finally seeing some development along Mt Vernon, Long St + around Old Town East.

Last edited by logongst; 05-15-2016 at 03:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus