Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 09:33 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
The fact of the matter is that these crashes are predictable based on road designs that encourage speeding. They are also preventable by changing these designs to ones that encourage slower driving: you'll notice that Gay St doesn't have news articles month after month about motorists running over pedestrians. It's a design that prioritizes lives over saving a few seconds driving.

This is something that doesn't happen all over the world: there's a reason why crash rates are less frequent and severe in others while American cities are much higher in comparison. And among our MSAs there's a reason why Columbus isn't among the safest even when compared to its peers.

Other cities, particularly on the coasts, have been much more aggressive in making improvements. You're the only one here who thinks Columbus exists in a bubble and whatever huge improvements occur elsewhere that dwarf what Columbus does (or doesn't in most cases) can be offset by much less: like finally narrowing Summit adding bike lanes which also is beneficial for pedestrians. And no, once completed that will not put Columbus at the same level as Portland or even Seattle.
Car crashes do occur everywhere and I shouldn't have to explain that. I actually agree that better road design and reduced speeds can reduce accident rates, and I grant that Columbus could do a better job at creating these conditions. I just don't think that it would matter to you if it was. For a long time now, I've recognized that this is less about what Columbus does or doesn't do, and more about your personal view of what you obviously consider a failed city in just about every imaginable way. The city can never be on the right side of anything, regardless if it actually is or isn't.

BTW, I found this link on metro and city fatal crash rates from the CDC in 2009. I couldn't find more recent, but I found the results hilarious.

Motor Vehicle Crash Deaths in Metropolitan Areas — United States, 2009

Columbus city (you know, the only part that the city is actually responsible for, not the metro)

Minneapolis city

*sad face*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 05:19 PM

424 posts, read 1,294,233 times
Twin Cities drivers spent equivalent of a day in congestion last year - StarTribune.com

Minneapolis has it's issues to.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:32 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
Umm, better slow than dead. Just my opinion.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Car crashes do occur everywhere and I shouldn't have to explain that. I actually agree that better road design and reduced speeds can reduce accident rates, and I grant that Columbus could do a better job at creating these conditions. I just don't think that it would matter to you if it was. For a long time now, I've recognized that this is less about what Columbus does or doesn't do, and more about your personal view of what you obviously consider a failed city in just about every imaginable way. The city can never be on the right side of anything, regardless if it actually is or isn't.

BTW, I found this link on metro and city fatal crash rates from the CDC in 2009. I couldn't find more recent, but I found the results hilarious.

Motor Vehicle Crash Deaths in Metropolitan Areas — United States, 2009

Columbus city (you know, the only part that the city is actually responsible for, not the metro)

Minneapolis city

*sad face*
If you have to time travel to 2009 to make a point, you have no point. This is today: WFC: Walk Friendly Communities - Minneapolis, MN . Deal with it. You can pretend it's my fault that Columbus underperforms in just about every urban amenity. I didn't realize I had so much control over that city: from 800 miles away even.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
If you have to time travel to 2009 to make a point, you have no point. This is today: WFC: Walk Friendly Communities - Minneapolis, MN . Deal with it. You can pretend it's my fault that Columbus underperforms in just about every urban amenity. I didn't realize I had so much control over that city: from 800 miles away even.
Your point was that Columbus has a high rate of auto deaths. Surely Minneapolis was much more walkable-pedestrian friendly than Columbus was in 2009. You've been arguing that Minneapolis is the epitome of walkability for years, so don't backtrack now. According to your theory, there shouldn't be a single year in which Columbus had better auto death rates than Minneapolis, yet the only year I could find, the opposite is true. How do you explain that??

Old 05-29-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Umm, better slow than dead. Just my opinion.
Maybe, but I thought everyone in Minneapolis was responsible and urban and only took public transit or walked. How is it that there is auto traffic at all?

Old 05-29-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but I thought everyone in Minneapolis was responsible and urban and only took public transit or walked. How is it that there is auto traffic at all?
Because the burbs: 3.5 million metro and 700,000 of that is Minneapolis-St Paul. That's why.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Because the burbs: 3.5 million metro and 700,000 of that is Minneapolis-St Paul. That's why.
But surely even Minneapolis' suburban residents are on another level as well? I'm disappointed. Come to find out that Minneapolis is just like anywhere else. Shocking.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Your point was that Columbus has a high rate of auto deaths. Surely Minneapolis was much more walkable-pedestrian friendly than Columbus was in 2009. You've been arguing that Minneapolis is the epitome of walkability for years, so don't backtrack now. According to your theory, there shouldn't be a single year in which Columbus had better auto death rates than Minneapolis, yet the only year I could find, the opposite is true. How do you explain that??
People walk over here, they don't in Columbus. Exponentially fewer pedestrians = less pedestrian injuries and deaths overall. We have at least 3x as many walkable neighborhoods than Columbus and half the population. Maybe in part from all the people ran over.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
But surely even Minneapolis' suburban residents are on another level as well? I'm disappointed. Come to find out that Minneapolis is just like anywhere else. Shocking.
Even the burbs over here look like Portland compared to Columbus. Totally on another level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus