Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 PM

13 posts, read 46,363 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional (mid to late 20's) moving to Columbus for a job downtown soon. I'm considering a place in Italian Village, on Summit St, a few blocks north of 5th Ave.

If anyone could share their experience living in that area, that would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
IV and the SN area is relatively safe in general. The biggest issue in the area seems to be car breakins, so just use common sense and not leave valuable things visible. Most of the more serious problems happen east of 4th, and more, eat of 71. That said, Columbus in general, like the rest of the country, has been seeing a gradual decline in all types of crimes and for most of them, are at their lowest levels in 25 years. Just use common sense like you would anywhere else and you'll be fine.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,433 times
Yes. Relatively safe is the perfect way to generalize Italian Village.

Victorian Village/Harrison West (the areas in the Short North *west* of high st) have been gentrified for longer and feel more safe.

Italian Village has been gentrifying really just the last decade, but did so very fast. Some of this slowed post recession. The Italian Village boundary would be: The area between high st/blue line here (to the west) and 4th st (to the east) . Also this area begins at I670/downtown, to the south, and ends around 5th ave to the north. This area is the current "true" boundary of Italian Village. This is entire area is relatively safe. The map below labels "italian village" within the boundary I gave. This should help identify it visibly.

*note this map does not label 5th Avenue (the northern boundary of the district). But it is the thick yellow line running east and west, in about the middle of the map, where it says "thompson park" or it is just one street north of e 4th ave.

The area east of fourth street is mostly renovated warehouse buildings or light manufacturing buildings waiting to be torn down. The areas east of 4th st. are not Italian village, they are called Milo Grogan or South Liden, and they are relatively worn out post industrial neighborhoods. Again the areas west of high, in the short north and university district, are all relatively safe and nice.

Be sure to visit a location before signing off, of course. And simply locate it on the map. Some try to "use" the labels "short north" "italian village" when it may really be in another neighborhood nearby that is not as safe. This is easy to figure out by locating the property on a map/comparing the location of possible rental or home to the boundaries I gave above and you. should be fine.

Last edited by streetcreed; 02-14-2012 at 04:16 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 PM

13 posts, read 46,363 times
Thanks a lot for your replies. I'll be in Columbus thursday to look at a few places, hopefully I'll find something I like.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcake View Post
I'm a young professional (mid to late 20's) moving to Columbus for a job downtown soon. I'm considering a place in Italian Village, on Summit St, a few blocks north of 5th Ave.

If anyone could share their experience living in that area, that would be great. Thanks!
Wish I could have gotten to this sooner - Summit a few blocks north of 5th is NOT the Italian Village. It's Weinland Park, and no, you probably do not want to live there, especially in that location.

Italian Village is generally south of 5th, east of High, west of 4th. The north end of IV (particularly above 3rd Ave) can be kind of scary, but the southern end, especially closer to High St., is very nice.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Wish I could have gotten to this sooner - Summit a few blocks north of 5th is NOT the Italian Village. It's Weinland Park, and no, you probably do not want to live there, especially in that location.

Italian Village is generally south of 5th, east of High, west of 4th. The north end of IV (particularly above 3rd Ave) can be kind of scary, but the southern end, especially closer to High St., is very nice.
Agree with most of what you said, as it echoes my post. However, the area north of 3rd ave until 5th ave is not scary. But I would say the closer to the 4th St. the more abonded warehouses etc there are, but Italian Village is pretty solid south of 5th. Again, for out of towners, this doesn't apply to the areas "west of high". All of that is okay. The whole length of the city.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 PM

7 posts, read 15,761 times
I have lived in Italian Village on Summit (just about 2 1/2 blocks from High St in the Short North) & really do like the convenient location. Most of Italian village from about 3/4th St down is okay & generally gets better (read: less crime) when u go towards downtown. The main crime in the area is car & home break-ins. I, for example, have had my old car broken into numerous times and my house has been broken into as we'll. within the first fe months of living here someone had broke into my house & stole my laptop. Also, someone had spray painted graffiti on the garage behind my house.

Nevertheless, the area is slowly & surely changing...for the better block by block. It's more affordable than most of Victorian Village & Harrison west but that too is changing. The close u r to High Street & then closer towards Goodale St the more expensive housing becomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus