Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,644 times

Advertisements

It's not that people in Columbus don't know how to drive, it's that there's too many people on the road from 7-8AM and from 5-6PM. Being from Cleveland, heading 15 miles on OH-2 W just seemed to flow so much more smoothly, mainly because there's less people making that commute. At first I thought it had to deal with Cbus drivers not knowing how to merge, but then I quickly came to my senses already knowing that 99% of Ohioans are born to be superb drivers. That's why we rank top 5 for the lowest car insurance rates.

My point was proven when I had to work on Presidents day. The flow of traffic heading 270-S to 670-W with people trying to merge onto 670-W from 62 was able to accommodate the number of drivers that morning, and the traffic flow was considered normal by my standards for Ohio driving. On a normal work day, forget it. The fact that you have to come to a complete stop on a 65mph freeway heading heading 270-S to 670-W in Ohio (were not talking Cali here people) takes some getting use to. The fact that there's zero construction during that commute and it STILL occurs every morning is even more troubling. I can't even fathom what 71-S is like in the morning. Surely something can be done about the bottle-necking which causes complete stops on a 65mpg highway in areas of no construction. It's giving great Ohio drivers a bad name. Anybody know a good civil engineer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Something could be done, sure. Columbus could invest in mass transit, or ODOT can rebuild the intersection. Given that ODOT is broke, option #2 isn't going to happen anytime soon. The other... we'll see what happens. With the growth going on in Columbus, traffic is only going to get worse.

That said, Columbus still has one of the lowest average commutes nationally.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Something could be done, sure. Columbus could invest in mass transit, or ODOT can rebuild the intersection. Given that ODOT is broke, option #2 isn't going to happen anytime soon. The other... we'll see what happens. With the growth going on in Columbus, traffic is only going to get worse.

That said, Columbus still has one of the lowest average commutes nationally.
ODOT is broke because the budget is based on a gas tax and they can't properly manage resources and true project costs.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
ODOT is broke because the budget is based on a gas tax and they can't properly manage resources and true project costs.
Can't argue with that, but as long as gas prices are high (and probably will stay that way), people will just drive less, meaning lower gas taxes to collect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: