Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 10:36 AM

23 posts, read 41,847 times

Advertisements

If I move to a suburb of Columbus, like Westerville or Dublin for example, would my child just start at the closest elementary school? Or is there a choice? Or a lottery?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 11:01 AM

140 posts, read 314,279 times
School districts in Ohio are usually by municipality. For example, Westerville City Schools is a seperate entity from Columbus City Schools. If you were to move to Westerville, typically they would place your child in the nearest school or the dictrict selected school for your neighborhood.

This isnt always the case, however. In some school districts like Reynoldsburg, there are STEM schools within the district that you can select to go to, as long as you live within district boundaries. But most of the time, the schools are preselected based upon where you live.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 PM

Thanks! Do you know if my child got into a low rated school, could we change schools within the district?

Old 08-03-2012, 05:20 PM

140 posts, read 314,279 times
Im not sure about that. If it was a school within suburbs like Westerville or Dublin (pretty much any suburb besides Whitehall), I wouldnt be too worried about the schools. The bad schools in the area seem to be in Columbus (not all are bad), Whitehall and some small rural districts. But if you're still concerned, I would stop by the school district office and see what you can do. Selective schools vary within the district.

You can also go to the Ohio Department of Education Website and they have school report cards you can look up to see how good the schools in the area are.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Thanks again. I appreciate the info.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:09 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Here is the report card information. Requires Adobe Reader. Ohio Department of Education Interactive Local Report Card

Old 08-05-2012, 08:58 AM

11 posts, read 27,365 times
Most school districts in the Columbus area offer some type of intradistrict transfer option. So if your child was districted to a school that you prefer he/she not attend you could apply for an intradistrict transfer to the school fo your choice within the district. Approval is based on several factors but often lies with the capacity of the desired school and whether or not there is room for your child. The downside of intradistrict transferring is that usually you need to apply each year and busing is often not provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus