Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 51,568 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Columbus in early July and are interested in looking at apartments rented out by private landlords. I have mostly been looking on craigslist, but have not had very much luck. It seems CL is dominated by big companies. Is there another resource I should know of? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 05:29 PM

381 posts, read 642,381 times
There's plenty of duplex type places. Otherwise, you'd probably have to look in some of the outlying smaller communities.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:18 PM

575 posts, read 1,468,151 times
Check Zillow out - sometimes they have stuff. CL is the best place and unfortunately, you have to wade through all the spam that large communities put on there. The best way to do this (I've found) is to put your your max rental amount, put your minimum number of bedrooms, then switch it to Map results. Then you can avoid the giant complexes because they're all located on the same place on the map. Another place you could check is The Columbus Dispatch classifieds.

When you say you're looking for a private LL, what's the reason behind this? Are you just trying to avoid large corporations? There are a lot of small rental companies in Columbus. One that comes to mind right off the bat is Kohr Royer Griffith.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:13 PM

I will check out Zillow and have been keeping an eye on CL. The main reason we are looking at private LLs is because we are more interested in living in a duplex-type situation than a big complex. I am happy to look at smaller companies too if you have suggestions! I will check out Kohr Royer Griffith. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:52 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,151 times
My friend rented from Kohr Royer Griffith and lived at their rental for at least 2 years, maybe closer to 3. She said she liked them. But I can't say what exactly her opinion of a good landlord is.

I would avoid any rental companies that strictly do rentals on campus though. I had a terrible experience with Pella Co. in particular when it came to getting my deposit back and pest control. A lot of those companies are geared towards OSU/CSCC students and the rentals are overpriced. For example, I paid $450 a month 3 years ago for a 1 bedroom rental that was about 500 sq. ft (that's being generous) that had a hallway for a kitchen, a closet sized bathroom, no AC, no parking and it was above a bar so very very loud during weekends. Plus I once had someone light a Chipotle bag on fire and throw it on my roof... and then someone set a mattress by the dumpster on fire which resulted in a telephone pole catching on fire as well. Oh and my neighbor's thought it was fun to climb on my roof using my kitchen window as a boost.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 AM

I wanted to update this thread in case anyone else is in my situation. What we ended up doing was driving around in the area we really wanted to be in and looking for "For Rent" signs. We were seeing some complexes too, so we just combed the neighborhood (in our case, Grandview) in between appointments. Ultimately, we are spending more than we would like (doable for us, just not ideal), but we're paying for the ideal location and situation. If anyone is interested in our landlord and how we like him as time goes on, send me a PM and I'd be happy to pass along his info.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 9,393 times
I make good $, but because of my past credit issues, I can't find a landlord. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaquel View Post
I wanted to update this thread in case anyone else is in my situation. What we ended up doing was driving around in the area we really wanted to be in and looking for "For Rent" signs. We were seeing some complexes too, so we just combed the neighborhood (in our case, Grandview) in between appointments. Ultimately, we are spending more than we would like (doable for us, just not ideal), but we're paying for the ideal location and situation. If anyone is interested in our landlord and how we like him as time goes on, send me a PM and I'd be happy to pass along his info.
I'm interested in ur landlords

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2016 at 04:33 AM..

Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,935 times
Hello I am looking for a private landlord ! I make great money but my past rental history seems to get in my way . I'm just looking for a good landlord with single homes , Townhouses ect in a safe area . Please share any information y'all may have it will be greatly approached

Old 06-09-2017, 06:56 PM

233 posts, read 412,471 times
Private landlords will check your credit and rental history, same as the big rental companies. Maybe you can negotiate a prepay for a number of months to get in the door. Then be scrupulous with your money to turn things around. Good luck

Old 07-20-2017, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 11,474 times
I'm in need of an apartment very soon like today. I'm a sex offender 1997. I've got section eight. Getting assualted .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus