Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:35 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,970,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Stop saying things I never said. I never said you should be getting the same salary in Columbus as you got in Stamford. That would just be ridiculous. I said that you likely could have done better than you did. The quote below is from you on this thread:

You are saying that you are "appalled" at how expensive everything is. You would not be so "appalled" if you had held out for more money. And once again you are making an excuse for not working harder. You did that over on the Connecticut Board saying your time was too valuable for you to work anything more than 40 hours. Then in another post you were complaining that you were not getting ahead in your career. How do you expect to get ahead if you are not willing to work hard? Companies are not going to pay you or value you for just doing the minimum.

As for your salary, I am merely quoting your multiple posts which despite what you say now all quoted a 29% reduction in your overall take home pay for the year. Those bonuses are part of your income and they are primarily why you have been able to save so much in only 2 years.

Also I did not say you hated your apartment but you kept saying that you did not want to live on top of other people like you were "forced" to do in Norwalk and yet you chose a place where you are doing just that. Again that is from another post on this board.

The only reason I am even replying again is because you keep saying that I said things that I did not say. I want you to accept reality which you have consistently rejected since you began posting on this forum 7 years ago. You left Connecticut with very high expectations, thumbing you nose at the state that gave you so much but from your posts here, the reality is much different than those expectations. Again good luck to you. Jay
The chances of getting a job that pays more money than the one I got is extremely low. The salary that I was offered is right on par for what someone of my experience level earns in my career field in central Ohio and I'm 100% happy with it. Even recruiters in the area confirmed that my salary here is great for what I do.

The 29% reduction that you keep mentioning is inclusive of the bonuses that I was receiving. Since bonuses are not guaranteed, I do not count them. And I was not willing to continue suffering living in FFC just for the sake of receiving bonuses, and I do not miss that aspect one bit. The proper way to look at the situation is that I received a 19% salary cut, which is perfectly in line with what the market pays here for my profession and experience level and I'm 100% happy with it.

The reality here is not much different than my expectations. As stated earlier, a budget of about $200K gives me plenty to work with here in central Ohio, for a single person. The median home value here is $150K, so I mean...come on now.

Not sure what you meant by living on top of other people in Norwalk. I was on the ground floor there and had people living above me. Now, I am living above someone and it's no big deal. No one lives above me. I have almost no complaints about my condo here. It's great and I love it.

I also do not want to work more than 40 hours a week and neither does my manager. Regardless, my manager is going to try to promote me within the next year or two. In my profession, you can absolutely get promoted while not working overtime. I don't have the time, energy, motivation or desire to work overtime.

There was no good, legit reason to continue living in FFC by any stretch of imagination and I have no regrets.

So again I ask...what are you trying to tell me? I'm happy with my job, happy with my condo, happy with Columbus, and happy with the housing market here. How can you say that I'm in a bad financial position? I am single, have no debt, a net worth over $100K and on track for a healthy retirement. My income is 22% higher than the median household income for the metro area, too (in FFC it was only 14% higher). So I don't understand why you are acting like I'm in a dire situation.

Last edited by nep321; 09-07-2015 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 01:08 PM

34,963 posts, read 57,037,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The chances of getting a job that pays more money than the one I got is extremely low. The salary that I was offered is right on par for what someone of my experience level earns in my career field in central Ohio and I'm 100% happy with it. Even recruiters in the area confirmed that my salary here is great for what I do.

The 29% reduction that you keep mentioning is inclusive of the bonuses that I was receiving. Since bonuses are not guaranteed, I do not count them. And I was not willing to continue suffering living in FFC just for the sake of receiving bonuses, and I do not miss that aspect one bit. The proper way to look at the situation is that I received a 19% salary cut, which is perfectly in line with what the market pays here for my profession and experience level and I'm 100% happy with it.

The reality here is not much different than my expectations. As stated earlier, a budget of about $200K gives me plenty to work with here in central Ohio, for a single person. The median home value here is $150K, so I mean...come on now.

Not sure what you meant by living on top of other people in Norwalk. I was on the ground floor there and had people living above me. Now, I am living above someone and it's no big deal. No one lives above me. I have almost no complaints about my condo here. It's great and I love it.

I also do not want to work more than 40 hours a week and neither does my manager. Regardless, my manager is going to try to promote me within the next year or two. In my profession, you can absolutely get promoted while not working overtime. I don't have the time, energy, motivation or desire to work overtime.

There was no good, legit reason to continue living in FFC by any stretch of imagination and I have no regrets.

So again I ask...what are you trying to tell me? I'm happy with my job, happy with my condo, happy with Columbus, and happy with the housing market here. How can you say that I'm in a bad financial position? I am single, have no debt, a net worth over $100K and on track for a healthy retirement. My income is 22% higher than the median household income for the metro area, too (in FFC it was only 14% higher). So I don't understand why you are acting like I'm in a dire situation.
I never said you were in a "dire" situation or were in a "bad financial position". I merely was pointing out that you have only been there a couple of months and you are already finding that reality is not what you expected. You were the one that insisted you would be able to find a wonderful home for a cheap price, yet on this thread you are already complaining that you will not be able to afford what you wanted. Your words not mine.

Most people would be very happy to have the finances you have but then again you are not most people. The median income in Columbus means little to what we are talking about. We are talking about your current income and lifestyle it affords. You could be making 122% above the median income but that does not mean you are going to be able to buy the home you want (from your past posts it must be newer and move in ready, on large lot, in a desirable suburb and very close to your job). Is that income going to get you what you so desire? Maybe but again from your posts here, most likely not.

And again I never said you should stay in Fairfield County. If you remember I had advised you not to move there in the first place. I and everyone over on the Connecticut forum that know you, knew you would be miserable there and hate the commute you had from Norwalk. We also knew you would hate the apartment you chose because it was on a busy street with people living above you. Again you did not listen to anyone's advice. That of course is your choice but it is us that had to read your MANY posts complaining about the choices you made as well as your inflexible demands.

As I said, I thought you should have some patience and not jump on the first job that came along. That is all. You were posting right up to the morning you accepted this job that you were not going to take it. It was giving up too much. Then the next thing you posted was that you took the job. Huh??? Why did you post one thing and then do something completely different? Sounds like a rash last minute decision, something that has gotten you in trouble before. Again, your choice but don't complain about it like you did over on the Connecticut forum so many times.

As for your current apartment I am happy you like it but you were the one who did not want anyone above or below you and you did not want long hallways where you pass multiple neighbor's doors. I was surprised to see you took an apartment in a large building that has long hallways and people above or below you. Again, that is your choice but do not complain about it when you hear your neighbors every day. Still I am glad to hear the job is going well and do wish you the best of luck. Jay

Old 09-08-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I never said you were in a "dire" situation or were in a "bad financial position". I merely was pointing out that you have only been there a couple of months and you are already finding that reality is not what you expected. You were the one that insisted you would be able to find a wonderful home for a cheap price, yet on this thread you are already complaining that you will not be able to afford what you wanted. Your words not mine.

Most people would be very happy to have the finances you have but then again you are not most people. The median income in Columbus means little to what we are talking about. We are talking about your current income and lifestyle it affords. You could be making 122% above the median income but that does not mean you are going to be able to buy the home you want (from your past posts it must be newer and move in ready, on large lot, in a desirable suburb and very close to your job). Is that income going to get you what you so desire? Maybe but again from your posts here, most likely not.

And again I never said you should stay in Fairfield County. If you remember I had advised you not to move there in the first place. I and everyone over on the Connecticut forum that know you, knew you would be miserable there and hate the commute you had from Norwalk. We also knew you would hate the apartment you chose because it was on a busy street with people living above you. Again you did not listen to anyone's advice. That of course is your choice but it is us that had to read your MANY posts complaining about the choices you made as well as your inflexible demands.

As I said, I thought you should have some patience and not jump on the first job that came along. That is all. You were posting right up to the morning you accepted this job that you were not going to take it. It was giving up too much. Then the next thing you posted was that you took the job. Huh??? Why did you post one thing and then do something completely different? Sounds like a rash last minute decision, something that has gotten you in trouble before. Again, your choice but don't complain about it like you did over on the Connecticut forum so many times.

As for your current apartment I am happy you like it but you were the one who did not want anyone above or below you and you did not want long hallways where you pass multiple neighbor's doors. I was surprised to see you took an apartment in a large building that has long hallways and people above or below you. Again, that is your choice but do not complain about it when you hear your neighbors every day. Still I am glad to hear the job is going well and do wish you the best of luck. Jay
There are many inaccuracies in what you said.

First, I did not make the decision to accept this job "overnight." I sat on the decision for a good 6 days after they made the offer. Remember?!

Also, the condo I am living in right now has no hallways whatsoever, so not sure what you got that from. I cannot hear neighbors through the walls or floors, except on rare occasions, and it's very mild.

Whatever I said about the housing market here doesn't matter at this point. The fact of the matter is that I can afford a $200K home here, which is very good considering the median home value here is $150K.

I also do not care to have a large lot or brand new, turn key condition, like you said. That was years ago when I said that. My outlook has changed.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 AM

22 posts, read 43,246 times
So not to take away from the argument going on...

Columbus has a really hot market. You have to keep your eye out constantly, but not expect to find something right away. It took me a few months of waiting to find the house that I wanted without it being off the market before I even saw it. Be patient.

That being said, There are some condos on High street in the Short North that are for sale. They aren't very large ~800 sq feet, but definitely in your price range. If you didn't know, the Short North is VERY gay friendly, and has some great gay bars.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkeykennyg View Post
So not to take away from the argument going on...

Columbus has a really hot market. You have to keep your eye out constantly, but not expect to find something right away. It took me a few months of waiting to find the house that I wanted without it being off the market before I even saw it. Be patient.

That being said, There are some condos on High street in the Short North that are for sale. They aren't very large ~800 sq feet, but definitely in your price range. If you didn't know, the Short North is VERY gay friendly, and has some great gay bars.
I don't wanna live in the Short North. It's too urban for me.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:02 PM

34,963 posts, read 57,037,363 times
Quote:
There are many inaccuracies in what you said.

First, I did not make the decision to accept this job "overnight." I sat on the decision for a good 6 days after they made the offer. Remember?!

Also, the condo I am living in right now has no hallways whatsoever, so not sure what you got that from. I cannot hear neighbors through the walls or floors, except on rare occasions, and it's very mild.

Whatever I said about the housing market here doesn't matter at this point. The fact of the matter is that I can afford a $200K home here, which is very good considering the median home value here is $150K.

I also do not care to have a large lot or brand new, turn key condition, like you said. That was years ago when I said that. My outlook has changed.
You did sit on the job offer for several days but as I said, you were not taking the job up until the morning that you did accept it. My comments on your current apartment is based on a post you made when looking for the place. I am pretty sure you were looking at a large apartment building. Still the fact is you were insisting on having nobody above or below you and as you noted here you have people below you. And it nice to see you have finally accepted you cannot have the perfect home as your first home like you were demanding back in Connecticut. Another reality check which is good. Jay

Old 09-09-2015, 03:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,478,620 times
You expecting a super nice condo or home for 160-190k lol.. you can't get a nice house in any somewhat major market for that price anywhere in America in a rich/upscale part of town. Even in Middle TN an area cheaper than Columbus OH its 300-500k for a nice house or condo in a ritzy area or suburb.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:29 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:

my manager is going to try to promote me within the next year or two.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,508,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I saw a different post from the past couple days where nep said his manager gave him a rating of '2 out of 5' and it looks like he's going to get fired within the next 30 days.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:18 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,462,367 times
[quote=nep321;40983695]Okay but I still don't understand why you think I made a bad decision if I'm clearly happier here than I was in FFC. I already told you that the reduction in benefits isn't a big deal to me. The biggest benefits I gained are a more relaxed lifestyle and a much more vibrant gay community. To me, that negates the loss of 9 PTO days per year. I don't mind. Seriously. Maybe to you, that would be important, but everyone is different. You're only looking at employer provided benefits. I'm looking at overall everyday lifestyle benefits. It matters. It is completely stupid to stay living in a place that you hate, just for a few extra employer provided benefits.

NEP-

just to point out (I;m not going to dig through it all), this is in complete contrast to previous postings where you wouldn't look at jobs in other parts of CT b/c of the benefits and loss of days off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus