Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 02:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Columbus last month from the east coast and so far I am very happy here and plan to stay here for the long term (at least 5 years). I am currently renting a 2 bd condo for $995 in the area near Westerville, inside I-270. I am considering purchasing a small house or condo next summer. I will be 32 years old and have over $70K in savings with no debt and making a salary of $63K plus $3K bonus. I am single and have no kids. I am also gay. So hopefully I am in a good financial position to buy a home here. I work in Dublin, but my company is looking to move out of Dublin next year, possibly closer to Polaris or Westerville.

I think I can only afford up to about $210K on a home, after doing my calculations. I want something that's NOT outdated or a fixer upper. It must be in reasonably good, reasonably updated condition and no more than 25 minutes away from work, assuming no traffic. I want quiet, privacy, no kids, no traffic noise, etc. If it's a condo, I want VERY good soundproofing between units. I also prefer to stay in Franklin County, because it's more progressive/liberal. I would like a very small lot (or minimal mowing required) and the neighborhood has to be okay with transplants living there. I want a small lot and the home should be in the 1,000 - 1,500 sq ft range MAX. I don't want anything big.

I had the opportunity to drive around a LOT over the past month and explore. I must have driven through about 90 cities, villages and townships across Franklin and surrounding counties. Some were obviously disgusting. Others were nicer. I do not want to live in a college oriented area either.

I have also had the opportunity to look on Zillow for homes and was sorely disappointed. It seems like the best places I could afford are Westerville, Hilliard, Gahanna and Columbus. These places seem fine to me, but I am not 100% sure. Gahanna seems questionable. Reynoldsburg was disgusting. Some of my friends say that Hilliard is "lower class" or something, compared to Polaris and Dublin. Grandview Heights seems very pretentious, snooty and filled with yuppies.

Either I'm missing something here, or just not looking in the right places.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 02:11 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Try in Beechwold and the north Clintonville area. Beechwold is around Henderson & N. High Street and Clintonville is to the south, around the Whetstone Park of Roses.

You may need the help of a realtor. A lot of homes in that area are on and off the market within weeks. I sold my home in Beechwold in six days.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Try in Beechwold and the north Clintonville area. Beechwold is around Henderson & N. High Street and Clintonville is to the south, around the Whetstone Park of Roses.

You may need the help of a realtor. A lot of homes in that area are on and off the market within weeks. I sold my home in Beechwold in six days.
That area is so tiny that there's a limited amount of homes on the market. But I will look. They also all look old and shoddy, unfortunately. I was hoping for newer.

Is Gahanna a bad place?

Old 08-20-2015, 05:17 PM

Actually, I just realized that I can only afford up to $190K. In the coming years, I will need money for a new car, vacations, and other big ticket items.

Last edited by nep321; 08-20-2015 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 06:43 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

I have also had the opportunity to look on Zillow for homes and was sorely disappointed. It seems like the best places I could afford are Westerville, Hilliard, Gahanna and Columbus. These places seem fine to me, but I am not 100% sure. Gahanna seems questionable. Reynoldsburg was disgusting. Some of my friends say that Hilliard is "lower class" or something, compared to Polaris and Dublin. Grandview Heights seems very pretentious, snooty and filled with yuppies.

Either I'm missing something here, or just not looking in the right places.

Help!
Reynoldsburg:

Depends on the part of Reynoldsburg you're in. South of Livingston up to the park, bad. North of Livingston to Main, working class. North of Main, generally not bad and some places are nice. You would be surprised at the newer patio homes along McNaughten Rd.

If you play with the maps feature on CD, you will find above average incomes in a lot of the Reynoldsburg area census tracts from Noe-Bixby Road to Pataskala (between Main and Broad).

Blacklick is good at all price points.

Gahanna is decent. Dated maybe, but it has good schools and it's a good community.

Pickerington, Pataskala, Canal Winchester, New Albany (Columbus City Limits) should all be good.

Hilliard is traditionally working class but has some nicer homes in the north.

Basically, if you're outside I-270 and north of I-70 or in Fairfield County, it's hard to go wrong with any of those communities.

Quote:
That area is so tiny that there's a limited amount of homes on the market. But I will look. They also all look old and shoddy, unfortunately. I was hoping for newer.

Is Gahanna a bad place?
I'm a new house kind of guy myself. Gahanna is an above-average place.

Where do you work?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Reynoldsburg:

Depends on the part of Reynoldsburg you're in. South of Livingston up to the park, bad. North of Livingston to Main, working class. North of Main, generally not bad and some places are nice. You would be surprised at the newer patio homes along McNaughten Rd.

If you play with the maps feature on CD, you will find above average incomes in a lot of the Reynoldsburg area census tracts from Noe-Bixby Road to Pataskala (between Main and Broad).

Blacklick is good at all price points.

Gahanna is decent. Dated maybe, but it has good schools and it's a good community.

Pickerington, Pataskala, Canal Winchester, New Albany (Columbus City Limits) should all be good.

Hilliard is traditionally working class but has some nicer homes in the north.

Basically, if you're outside I-270 and north of I-70 or in Fairfield County, it's hard to go wrong with any of those communities.

I'm a new house kind of guy myself. Gahanna is an above-average place.

Where do you work?
I work in Dublin, just north of U.S. 33 heading toward Marysville.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:46 PM

1303 Summit St, Columbus, OH 43201 | Zillow

This house seems like a great price, great location and easy maintenance!

Old 08-21-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
1303 Summit St, Columbus, OH 43201 | Zillow

This house seems like a great price, great location and easy maintenance!
Never mind. The location is terrible and ghetto. Geez. Seems like I will never find a nice place for under $190K in all of the Columbus metro.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:39 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
There are many condos for sale that would seem to meet your requirements. I believe that it still is a buyers market for condos in the Columbus market to a certain degree, just based on what friends have told me. Perhaps they aren't in areas that you prefer, however. Just looking for five minutes, I found this property in Dublin, but obviously know nothing about it in relation to your criteria.

5277 Royal Arch Cascade Dr, Dublin, OH 43016 | Zillow

Given the size of the unit your looking for, and the $190,000 price ceiling, it shouldn't be that difficult.

Here's another, and there are many others, just in Dublin.

6207 Craughwell Ln, Dublin, OH 43017 | Zillow

Worthington school district, which should support resale value:

8016 Ravine Run Ln, Columbus, OH 43235 | Zillow

Worthington area isn't that far from Westerville, and also is convenient for Dublin if your company does not move.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
There are many condos for sale that would seem to meet your requirements. I believe that it still is a buyers market for condos in the Columbus market to a certain degree, just based on what friends have told me. Perhaps they aren't in areas that you prefer, however. Just looking for five minutes, I found this property in Dublin, but obviously know nothing about it in relation to your criteria.

5277 Royal Arch Cascade Dr, Dublin, OH 43016 | Zillow

Given the size of the unit your looking for, and the $190,000 price ceiling, it shouldn't be that difficult.

Here's another, and there are many others, just in Dublin.

6207 Craughwell Ln, Dublin, OH 43017 | Zillow

Worthington school district, which should support resale value:

8016 Ravine Run Ln, Columbus, OH 43235 | Zillow

Worthington area isn't that far from Westerville, and also is convenient for Dublin if your company does not move.
Oh nice. Those are all nice condos! I was hoping for something more closer to downtown Columbus though.

Last edited by nep321; 08-21-2015 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus