Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 03:07 PM

110 posts, read 148,184 times

Advertisements

Columbus is the 6th hottest housing market in the nation out of the 50 largest markets in the US!

Study: Seattle has the hottest housing market in the country, boosted by tech industry - GeekWire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 10:03 AM

22 posts, read 43,312 times
And the only City in the Midwest in the top 25!

Old 10-28-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkeykennyg View Post
And the only City in the Midwest in the top 25!
It is a great thing for sure. You can attribute that to the millenials buying here because it has a great economy and is a fast growing city

Old 10-28-2015, 07:25 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,402,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Velcoro View Post
It is a great thing for sure. You can attribute that to the millenials buying here because it has a great economy and is a fast growing city
Millennials buy homes?

Old 10-29-2015, 12:08 PM

23 posts, read 26,002 times
I wonder how the numbers are crunched. I moved from the Denver market to Columbus in April. I just went into contract on a house after searching all summer. There were plenty of houses available but we have been picky. The market here is hot...but not like when we left Denver. In Denver, a house would list on a Thursday or Friday...and accept offers until Sunday night and go into contract Monday for well over asking. That is a hot market!

Old 10-29-2015, 02:19 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,123,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflynn View Post
I wonder how the numbers are crunched. I moved from the Denver market to Columbus in April. I just went into contract on a house after searching all summer. There were plenty of houses available but we have been picky. The market here is hot...but not like when we left Denver. In Denver, a house would list on a Thursday or Friday...and accept offers until Sunday night and go into contract Monday for well over asking. That is a hot market!
Not too specific, but the original ranking was based on this:

These markets had the best combination of rising home prices, favorable affordability and strong housing demand, combined with strong economic and demographic conditions that point to future demand.

So it doesn't appear to be based solely on how fast homes are selling, but rather a combination of factors.

I also have trouble believing that the average time on the market for a house in Denver is 3-4 days. If it was, prices would be exploding on a pace no market has ever seen. Greater than SF or NYC or any other location, because such a situation would cause a near complete lack of listings. I suspect the average is probably closer to 30-50 days, which is still very fast.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:26 PM

23 posts, read 26,002 times
I was not referring to the actual metro average but more to what you see in the desirable areas (think Dublin, Worthington, Westerville, New Albany, Upper Arlington). Generally speaking from watching the market there while we were selling our house and looking for another one there before deciding to move. Most houses in the mid-level price range didnt last but a weekend if they were even half way decent. Obviously your less updates or run down homes went longer. Just speaking from general observations of a buyer..not a trained professional! :-D

Old 10-29-2015, 05:35 PM

259 posts, read 430,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Not too specific, but the original ranking was based on this:

These markets had the best combination of rising home prices, favorable affordability and strong housing demand, combined with strong economic and demographic conditions that point to future demand.

So it doesn't appear to be based solely on how fast homes are selling, but rather a combination of factors.

I also have trouble believing that the average time on the market for a house in Denver is 3-4 days. If it was, prices would be exploding on a pace no market has ever seen. Greater than SF or NYC or any other location, because such a situation would cause a near complete lack of listings. I suspect the average is probably closer to 30-50 days, which is still very fast.
In the Old Worthington area, fairly priced houses are selling in about 1-2 days with multiple offers right now. I have heard the same about Upper Arlington and Grandview. I know of several people who have been outbid on full-price offers with above-asking all-cash offers. I have also heard that some people are even doing "curb offers" where they make an offer without even seeing the inside of the house. It is totally crazy.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrrl7 View Post
In the Old Worthington area, fairly priced houses are selling in about 1-2 days with multiple offers right now. I have heard the same about Upper Arlington and Grandview. I know of several people who have been outbid on full-price offers with above-asking all-cash offers. I have also heard that some people are even doing "curb offers" where they make an offer without even seeing the inside of the house. It is totally crazy.
Here in Delaware the same thing is happening.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:07 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,402,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Velcoro View Post
Here in Delaware the same thing is happening.
Delaware , really? That's hard to believe..I thought you lived in Columbus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus