Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Columbus: More like Cleveland or Cincinnati?
Cleveland 14 31.11%
Cincinnati 31 68.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:49 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The Columbus forum is by far the most boring.maybe if anyone cared about Columbus there would be interesting posts from locals. Burt there aren't.
It might be because there's lots of job and things going on in Columbus so locals don't have the time to rush to CD to post endlessly about it.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 12:16 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
It might be because there's lots of job and things going on in Columbus so locals don't have the time to rush to CD to post endlessly about it.

Just a thought.
What does your own logic say about you then?

And yes, maybe Columbus is a more interesting city than Boston with more to do, more tourism, more jobs, etc. Or maybe I post on City data because I work at a computer and have some downtime periodically throughout the day. Just a thought.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:29 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
My problem is the victim complex. And your Cleveland experience is totally relevant. Have you seen the name of this thread? Or is the subject matter that it was started in relation to unfair to have to discuss?

I'm gonna put you down for not having been to Cleveland this decade.

You can certainly criticize pretty much everything about Cleveland. But even having not been here for such a long long time (this millenium?) how do you even know what you're talking about when you say Cleveland's are better than Columbus? What are you basing that on? Culture and arts are subjective. I do feel that yes, if you ever bothered to spend any time at all whatsoever in Cleveland, I would bet you'd consider the culture stuff here better than Columbus (as I said, Columbus isn't even bad in that regard, it's just that Cleveland has some pretty great cultural legacies). But you should at least go and see the stuff.

Or we can use vulgarities about measuring. The level of dicourse with you is something I've never been able to pin down. When you feel attacked, it's nasty. No reason for that nonsense.
I was last in Cleveland in 2011, but I don't know why it would be relevant. What does that have to do with the discussion on cultural amenities considering I already agreed Cleveland had better ones? Did you miss that part? Why do you seem to be arguing against a position in which we actually agree on? Why does it feel like I'm screaming into the void so often on this forum?

Again, that comment was because all of these comparison threads end up the same way. You have to be playing dumb here because you know exactly what I meant and it was not an insult against anyone in particular, or any city in particular.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Just a thought.
Actually, I think the reason is that there are just other forums which Columbus-based posters use more than this one. This one is pretty actively hostile a lot of the time.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:02 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I was last in Cleveland in 2011, but I don't know why it would be relevant. What does that have to do with the discussion on cultural amenities considering I already agreed Cleveland had better ones? Did you miss that part? Why do you seem to be arguing against a position in which we actually agree on? Why does it feel like I'm screaming into the void so often on this forum?

Again, that comment was because all of these comparison threads end up the same way. You have to be playing dumb here because you know exactly what I meant and it was not an insult against anyone in particular, or any city in particular.
You create the void and scream into it yourself my man.

I don't know why you're so keen on talking g about things you don't know about. Whether good or bad. I am just asking why you just take things on other people's word. Your opinions should be your own. Integrity. I think you have it, just not equally employed.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:15 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:

Just a thought.
I notice that the Columbus residents who post on here aren't like the Cleveland residents who post on here and try to justify living there by constantly talking about all the pros about CLE and conveniently leaving out all the cons. I lived in Columbus for a year. It was great!

With regards to football, the difference in atmosphere between an Ohio State football game and a Browns game is night and day. At Ohio state, no one even bothers to sit down and everyone is in a happy, proud, cheering mood. Your typical Browns game consists of being near a bunch of gloomy people paying $$$ for stadium beer to drink their sorrows away over another sh**ty season.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:23 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Another way to phrase this reality is that the quality and quantity of the cultural offerings in Columbus don't compare to those in Cleveland. Is it a chicken and egg issue, as you imply, or is the reality that Columbus isn't interested in cultural amenities as much as Cleveland? Less demand, less supply.

What makes you believe that gap ever will be closed when Columbus today can only raise $40 million to expand and renovate its art museum at the same time that Cleveland raises $300 for its art museum? Is Columbus that much poorer at the beginning of the 21st century than Cleveland???

Why doesn't Franklin County pass a tax levy to support the arts, such as the one in Cuyahoga County?

Was the Issue 8 landslide a mandate or cause for humility? Cuyahoga Arts Tax Renewal | cleveland.com

Why is it that when you praise attributes of Columbus, such as its growth rates relative to the other 2 Cs, that's fine?

When others point out areas where Columbus lags, why are they engaging in a "d**k measuring contest?"

Now that you mention it, it does sound like a definite inadequacy issue to me. What a shocker.
Quote:
When talking about the insistence of inadequacy, might I remind you that it is you boasting about Cleveland on the Columbus forum and not the other way around. It is funny that it is always certain people who come over here yelling, "See, see!? Look how great we are!" Some of you always seem to be answering questions no one ever asked. If I pulled this crap over in the Cleveland forum, I'd never hear the end of it. It's been a basic rule here for as long as I've posted that it can only go one way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
I notice that the Columbus residents who post on here aren't like the Cleveland residents who post on here and try to justify living there by constantly talking about all the pros about CLE and conveniently leaving out all the cons.
Of course, you omit the fact that your "cons" aren't our "cons," and that in the opinion of many of us, your cons are preposterous if not fabricated -- like your story of a six-hour drive between Cleveland and Akron on Thanksgiving a couple years ago, Cleveland being a depressing sports town, Beachwood Mall going to the dogs, etc.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Of course, you omit the fact that your "cons" aren't our "cons," and that in the opinion of many of us, your cons are preposterous if not fabricated -- like your story of a six-hour drive between Cleveland and Akron on Thanksgiving a couple years ago, Cleveland being a depressing sports town, Beachwood Mall going to the dogs, etc.
I've already corrected you on this numerous times. Now I just reference post #48 in the link below whenever you claim that my experiences are fabricated, which they are not as they are backed by links with others who all share the same experiences.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...mission-5.html

Old 02-12-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
You create the void and scream into it yourself my man.

I don't know why you're so keen on talking g about things you don't know about. Whether good or bad. I am just asking why you just take things on other people's word. Your opinions should be your own. Integrity. I think you have it, just not equally employed.
Oh, you mean like how in that other thread you claimed Columbus was way different than Pittsburgh because Pittsburgh "created things" and Columbus just mooched off the government? And when I actually provided industry figures that proved otherwise, you disappeared? It didn't appear you knew what you were talking about, but that didn't stop you, and that wasn't the first time. The whole "Columbus lives off the government" is as common a theme around here as "Columbus annexes its way to growth". Both of those claims, and many others, seem to exist solely to discount anything positive about the city's current state.

And I don't see the problem with what I'm saying. It's been a lot longer than 2011 since I've been to a Cleveland cultural amenity of any kind, but I have been to a few of them in the past. I enjoyed my experiences and I have no reason to argue against the generally agreed-upon view that at least some of them are "world-class". It's a very subjective term, anyway. There is no right or wrong answer, so there is no reason to be critical of anyone's view on it. Now, as to Columbus' jobs makeup... nothing subjective about that. Integrity doesn't just go one way.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:29 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Cincinnati is not a top 50 largest city, so it doesn't make the list. Its population density, though, would be just under Columbus' and ahead of about half of those cities.
Ah okay that makes sense then. Still unfortunate given their dense row housing theoretically should put it in the Top 20 overall.

Quote:
The Columbus forum is by far the most boring.maybe if anyone cared about Columbus there would be interesting posts from locals. Burt there aren't.
The Columbus forum is and always has been mostly a relocation forum for new residents. The other Ohio forums have been mostly local talk and a whole lot of "what can we do to improve our city" posts. Columbus doesn't have all that hand-wringing we see from many other Rust Belt cities (other than what's manufactured by that Minneapolis guy), so there's not as much to discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus