Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I believe we are very different in how we think. I'm not big on stats and tend to be more figurative than literal and am better at keeping the larger picture. My wife, who is an English major and an editor, tends to be very precise but sometimes loses the big picture. Somewhere in the middle we find a balance.

I think that is similar to what we are doing here. I've been to Columbus on and off for over a decade now. I've been all over downtown and German Village, Short North, etc. Been to Easton more times than I can count. Overall, I would say C-Bus closes up shop early. I have the same opinion of Cincinnati. Point is, Columbus is not a bustling metropolis but does have some night life if you know where to go.
Perhaps, but I don't think you necessarily have to lose the "big picture" when putting emphasis on getting the facts right. After all, even the big picture needs to have some accuracy attached. The big picture in this claim seems to be that Columbus has a culture that is not only slow, but overwhelmingly so laid back that the places that are supposed cater to customers regularly put out terrible service. That's not exactly a great business plan, and I really don't think the people of Columbus are THAT laid back that they would simply accept places treating them like crap. I wouldn't accept that as someone who worked many years in customer service, and I don't personally know anyone else who would either. Even if you don't work by details and facts, common sense alone should raise red flags.

And you're right, Columbus is no NYC, by far. I live in a megacity right now, and there is just no comparison to be made. However, maybe the problem is that we just see "early" differently. For example, here in Mexico City, I think the Metro (subway) closing at midnight is very early for a city this size. Bars, however, tend to stay open later than in the US. Maybe it's all relative. For Columbus, there are some things that probably close early, but I don't think fast-food or restaurants in general are one of those things. I also think customer service in the US is typically very good, Columbus included.

And I actually was an English major myself, and no doubt that plays a role. I tend to see the details in what people say and how they say them when other people don't and don't care. I think speech is important, especially online where intent can be misunderstood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I think speech is important, especially online where intent can be misunderstood.
Good points all around.

As a side note, bars in LA do last call at 2:00 a.m. (early by my standards) while NYC last call is 4 a.m. In some ways night life in Cincy and Columbus is on par with larger cities, though there may be less options. Cincy is a hard drinking town and there is lots to do around here. I'm assuming C-bus is the same?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:58 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Good points all around.

As a side note, bars in LA do last call at 2:00 a.m. (early by my standards) while NYC last call is 4 a.m. In some ways night life in Cincy and Columbus is on par with larger cities, though there may be less options. Cincy is a hard drinking town and there is lots to do around here. I'm assuming C-bus is the same?
Yeah, I would say so. Definitely fewer options than larger cities, but people in Ohio know how to party. If it wasn't for the law, I suspect quite a few places would be open to 4am-6am.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 PM

14 posts, read 107,265 times
Everyone is making good points. Columbus is a nice city to live in. I'm not attempting to "put it down" because things close "early" by my standards. I was simply stating that many of the other places I have lived, most things that would be open later there tend to close earlier to me. Maybe it's just this side of town. After all, NE side is not really booming past 10 - maybe that has something to do with it. Like I said, if you want a burger at midnight, you can hit the white castle or steak n' shake. There may be some McDonald's with all night drive through - but I personally don't do the drive through thing. Foods cold by the time I get it home and they never get my order right at the drive through.

In any case, Columbus has it's prose and cons. It's not a perfect city by any stretch - but for ME, the pros outweigh the cons which is why I'm still here. However, since this thread title was "What do you hate about Columbus", I figured I would mention the few things I dislike about the city. There are many more things I like about it - however.

#1: Great Zoo and Park system.
#2: Lower cost of living. My 1 bed in NJ was $850 a month. I have a 3 bed here for $825.
#3: It's a bit slower. Okay, I know this was one of my complaints. But I actually like the more laid back atmosphere. It takes some getting use to, but its not usually THAT bad.
#4: It don't take forever to get any place. I can go 71 from 270 N to S in less than 30 minutes. It usually took 45 minutes in NJ just to get to Metro Park, then another 40 min train ride to my job in NYC. In Orlando, you'd spend 2 hours in the I-4 parking lot. However designed Orlando's roads needs to go back to school. They have one main free drag (I-4), and a crap load of toll roads that no one wants to take.
#5: 4 Seasons. Try getting this in Florida. Basically 9 months out of the year its 100 and the next 3 months are 40-50. Very weird weather, and YES - it gets cold. In Orlando at least. I'll never forget having to wake up and chisel ice off my windshield on January morning.

Many other things that I don't care to mention.
#5:

One more thing I dislike though: Public Transit. I never really use it - but I would hate to have to rely on it. Columbus has a very weird "express" schedule where most of the bus lines only run a few times in the morning and night. There are local service as well, but only along the MAIN roads. No route along 161, which is a major road. Columbus really should expand it's transit system.

I comparison, Cincinnati seems to have a pretty fair public transit system. Still not light rail - but plenty of bus service to more parts of town than Columbus.

Quote:
You did not mention my favorite - the drivers who feel the need to slam on the brakes and come to a near complete stop on the freeway when they see a cop.
Yes. I have noticed this somewhat. Although, I have rarely seen a cop on 71. I tend to go 65 and stay 65. Usually you can get by with 5 over, MAYBE 10 but its pushing it. In Indianapolis, where I was at last week, people on the interstates there go 70 in a 55 right by the cops, and no one gets stopped. It's amazing. EVERYONE does 70 even when the signs say 50 or 55.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 AM

80 posts, read 278,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post
So, should someone potentially looking to relocate to Columbus be concerned by the fact that the "what do you hate..." thread has 65 pages while the "what do you love..." thread only has 10?
It CAN be pretty telling, but the biggest critics of a city (or anything really) are those that live, work, or play in it. Most people who hate things about Columbus (like me), also enjoy or like something about Columbus. People love to talk about the negative, both to just complain and also to look for reasons to make things better. If nobody ever complained about how things are in the present, progress would never happen. Columbus would be stuck in perpetual 1950. As much as we like to look at the green grass of larger more cosmopolitan places, think of that prospect for a moment..Nein, danke!

I love Boston, I think it is the greatest city in the US, but I dislike some things of it and people living there now, I am sure, have a laundry list of complaints and putdowns of the city.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:31 AM

80 posts, read 278,241 times
Traffic is a constant complaint about Columbus, and yes, certain stretches at certain times, can be as bad as other cities. I 270 on the west side is a huge project that gets little press (compared to the 70/71 split stuff downtown), and I have sat in traffic for over an hour there, when before the project started, was a 15 minute drive. But for the most part, it is still fairly easy to get around and bottlenecks only are a problem an hour or two in the morning and an hour or two in the late afternoon, on weekdays, and maybe for some certain major events like presidential visits, NCAA tournament, etc. I remember wicked bad Boston traffic on weeknights, weekends, late at night. Traffic reports never stop there, except maybe on Christmas Day. I remember driving from Quincy, MA to my uncle's house in Lynn, a distance of about 20 miles, and it was well over an hour drive on a Saturday. I live near Hilliard now and visit my mother and brother who live in Whitehall, about the same distance. Even during rush hour that same drive rarely takes more than 40 minutes.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 PM

52 posts, read 91,780 times
Default Its not what it seems.

My family moved all across the U.S. lived in Santa Fe, Phoenix, New York City, Las Vegas, D.C. Atlanta and Los Angeles....I also lived in Columbus and left recently.

Pros.

No doubt is cheap and easier to find jobs relative to other states.
Ohio State University has good programs.
German Village is about the only thing worth a shot.

Cons. ( Transportation and costumer service, Structure, Psychology and weather problems)

I've never ever in my life seen so many buses not arrive on schedule. The COTA employees would be fired elsewhere. In a 'few' occasions the drivers would stop the bus, grab a coffee and hope back in the bus while people were waiting. Surprisingly, I was the only one that called the driver off!
The only good reliable transportation is the Campus Buses, but those don't take you far.

Costumer service in Columbus rank about the worst. The argument is that because their is no competition, employees feel more comfortable with their jobs. Just crossing the border in Lexington or Indianapolis one see a huge swift in service.

Neighborhoods.

Clintonville's nickname is witchcraft-Ville. Its full of old hippies women that practice witchcraft. Everyone in that neighborhood is a garden freak and they are not friendly. But Columbus people believe they are.

Upper Arlington. Its all white, snobs everywhere, and price is to costly for its location. The New Giant Eagle is about the only good thing.

High Street. Its the main road, that connects a few districts. But take that away and Columbus would melt.

Short North. Another weird neighborhood. They model themselves after Soho in New York but are far away from it. As far as art, its Ok (mostly Ohioans), I found Santa Fe more artistic with better (national representation). The less diverse, the more repetitive and less diverse the art becomes.

The Short. very very ghetto, bordering Campus and and the Short North.

Downtown. Ghetto at night! At day business oriented and ghetto. Its a dead downtown, no activities or anything intriguing. Nothing open either. Government buildings all over South Front..Its actually nice place to walk specially around the Olentangy river..but its sadly so empty!! Its like the nicest part of Columbus period, but its empty. Few runners here and there. Very few couples walking and surprisingly they are no restaurants or bards on the river front! I was shocked.

Grandview. The better option from all the above, but people don't tend to leave after a few years, its not residential and very few homeowners own property.

Campus area. Ohio State University its is own world. I like the campus, but at night time drunk people become uncontrollable, and look for problems. Taking the football crowd, It lacks personality, no art exposure on the main park, no super parties, no break dancers and few skateboarders.

I noticed throughout different campus and cities across the U.S. groups of break dancers breaking on the street, or musicians playing, or acting obots (its gives a good street soul). But a guy told me in Ohio "breakdancing is from the eighties right?" shows the mentality.

Bexley. Its disconnected. Big expensive houses, but very disconnected, nothing to do...the park is empty.

Easton outdoor Mall. Its model after malls in the west coast and south west and NC, FLA, VA, OC. Its across from a wall mart called Morse Road, a ghetto immigrant intersection. Again snobs go there, its about the only few things to do in Columbus. But the bridges burn quite quick, boredom eats you.

Polaris is more family oriented in my view, closer to the Dublin Area.

Overview.

Columbus neighborhoods regardless of what they try to accomplish, are very insulated communities. Their is no unifying factors. Neighborhoods are also far from diverse. People are not not friendly, they just smile and act friendly, but you wont get to know anyone there. Which leads to a much bigger problem.

attitude.

People are snobs in Columbus. They act like they from a big city, but they fail miserably.

I made friends all across the U.S. but in Columbus I've never actually had any Caucasian friends. I thought it was my problem at first, but considering the amount of people I meet (that's not the case). I seen to open myself up, but people unlike other cities, are close minded in Columbus. Most people in Columbus come from the suburban city sprawl or from smaller towns in Ohio...which makes my next point.

No diversity. Not like Arizona, Georgia, and other states. You see mostly blacks hanging out with blacks and whites with whites...even in the university. Their also a big problem with racism in the state itself and a fear of outsiders.

Everyone one has a fetish for their lawns and people constantly are trying to prove themselves by counter reacting to any conversation (its annoying). People are independent and do take care of their homes, but very few care about both the community as a whole and the city. Their is no union, outside of individual self-inductive protests against abortion or pro marijuana.

Whether.

Surprisingly It gets just as hot or hotter than Vegas and Phoenix. At night it doesn't cool down and remains humid. The humidity is horrible and plant allergies are among the worst problems encountered.

The drastic weather changes can make your day miserable and the winters are killers.

Conclusion.

Only worth while neighborhood (German Village)
Yo wont make much friends here, if any.
Weather (terrible)
Price Affordable.

Don't live there, you will want to leave within the first two years.

Last edited by jackrip; 05-31-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 06:21 PM

198 posts, read 524,806 times
when humidity is involved, it *feels* hotter than vegas. I've been to vegas several times and it's a nice dry heat. Even past 100 it doesn't feel as hot as it does here when we reach 90.

And the allergies are a killer here too. I basically have to buy a $25 bottle of zyrtec every year to deal with them.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 PM

364 posts, read 715,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodycount View Post
when humidity is involved, it *feels* hotter than vegas. I've been to vegas several times and it's a nice dry heat. Even past 100 it doesn't feel as hot as it does here when we reach 90.

And the allergies are a killer here too. I basically have to buy a $25 bottle of zyrtec every year to deal with them.
While I agree that allergies are bad all throughout Ohio, if a $25 bottle of Zyrtec lasts you a year, you do not have bad allergies. My allergies have gone haywire since moving to Ohio, so I know all about purchasing Zyrtec.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodycount View Post

No way. I have been in 116-degree heat in Vegas and that feels hotter than anything in Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus