Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 10:50 PM

816 posts, read 1,396,550 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am exploring cities for a possible future move and Columbus is on my list. I was wondering what are the more urban areas of your city? In your opinions, does Columbus feel overall more urban than Cleveland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 06:46 AM

23 posts, read 25,175 times
I lived near Cleveland my whole life, and moved to Columbus 5 years ago. There are definitely areas of the city that feel urban, but the more time I'm here, the smaller and smaller it feels. I think the residential neighborhoods that feel most urban are Victorian Village, Italian Village, German Village, Olde Towne East. The biggest difference I see in the two cities is the lack of urban commercial/retail space in the neighborhoods surrounding downtown. I look at the main streets in Lakewood and see tons of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. In Columbus, outside of the Short North area, the retail and commercial streetscapes are lacking. What part of Cleveland are you from?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:35 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,251,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus_Droom View Post
I lived near Cleveland my whole life, and moved to Columbus 5 years ago. There are definitely areas of the city that feel urban, but the more time I'm here, the smaller and smaller it feels. I think the residential neighborhoods that feel most urban are Victorian Village, Italian Village, German Village, Olde Towne East. The biggest difference I see in the two cities is the lack of urban commercial/retail space in the neighborhoods surrounding downtown. I look at the main streets in Lakewood and see tons of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. In Columbus, outside of the Short North area, the retail and commercial streetscapes are lacking. What part of Cleveland are you from?
Same here. Raised in Cleveland, been here in Columbus for 16 years. It isn't even close. Downtown here is dead at night, unless there is a Blue Jackets game, and really, that doesn't do much either. The Short North is OK at best. Way overrated.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus_Droom View Post
You see, that's how I feel about Cleveland. There really aren't any strips of active, lively retail in the city outside of downtown. Most strips are all vacant or are full of cell phone stores, barber shops, or convenient stores. I hate it. Yea Lakewood is very lively and urban, but that is not Cleveland proper. I mean you have Ohio City, but that's rinky dink in my opinion; its just a few blocks.

I've lived all over Cleveland. I'm currently in the West Park neighborhood.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:17 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Same here. Raised in Cleveland, been here in Columbus for 16 years. It isn't even close. Downtown here is dead at night, unless there is a Blue Jackets game, and really, that doesn't do much either. The Short North is OK at best. Way overrated.
It's funny because every time I am back to visit, I immediately notice that urban activity has very noticeably increased. I think that people living there are perhaps not going to notice change as much, just because it happens at a pace that is less obvious day to day, but when you start to honestly compare to where things were 1 year or 5 years or 10 years ago, it's dramatic.
I disagree that Downtown is all dead at night. There are a steadily increasing number of restaurants/bars in the area- probably more now than there's been in 40 years at least.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It's funny because every time I am back to visit, I immediately notice that urban activity has very noticeably increased. I think that people living there are perhaps not going to notice change as much, just because it happens at a pace that is less obvious day to day, but when you start to honestly compare to where things were 1 year or 5 years or 10 years ago, it's dramatic.
I disagree that Downtown is all dead at night. There are a steadily increasing number of restaurants/bars in the area- probably more now than there's been in 40 years at least.
Yea, downtown is doing well. It is very built up and urban, but outside of downtown, there isn't much in terms of urbanity. I more interested in urban living/neighborhoods outside of downtown. I really don't go downtown much. You can't really live there unless you're willing to pay an arm and a leg, which I'm not. Many Clevelanders are homers (I used to be one), but I'm sick of the city. There are HUGE portions where people just don't go due to blight and crime. It's ridiculous in my opinion. I really like Lakewood and I feel that is by far the most urban part of the Cleveland area and it's not even in the city proper.

Edit: whoops, was totally referring to Cleveland in my post! sorry

Old 10-12-2016, 10:47 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,103,226 times
The Short North is awesome. Apart from transit what is it lacking exactly? You have great restaurants, bars, shops, hotels, art galleries, theaters, parks, a thriving LGBT community etc.

German Village
Victorian Village
Grandview Ave
Arena District
University District
Italian Village
Olde Town East
Gay Street Corridor
Brewery District
Weinland Park

Last edited by Buckeye614; 10-12-2016 at 10:57 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 11:31 AM

23 posts, read 25,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
You see, that's how I feel about Cleveland. There really aren't any strips of active, lively retail in the city outside of downtown. Most strips are all vacant or are full of cell phone stores, barber shops, or convenient stores. I hate it. Yea Lakewood is very lively and urban, but that is not Cleveland proper. I mean you have Ohio City, but that's rinky dink in my opinion; its just a few blocks.

I've lived all over Cleveland. I'm currently in the West Park neighborhood.

If you move to Columbus you will NOT feel like you are stuck in some small town. Quite honestly, I still think back fondly on my first year down here and absolutely loved discovering all of the cool neighborhoods Columbus has. You should definitely come down for a visit and check out the Short North and German Village. They are the most unique neighborhoods near Downtown.

You are right about Ohio City, it is quite small compared to the Short North. Maybe I secretly just miss Cleveland! Regardless, I think you might really enjoy Columbus, it's worth the 2 hour drive!

Old 10-12-2016, 11:41 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,251,230 times
I'm sure downtown Columbus is a lot better than it was 30 years ago, long before I moved here. But saying Cleveland and Columbus are similar in their downtown cores is a little ridiculous. I see new construction all the time in downtown Cleveland, here in Columbus, next to nothing.

I'm not knocking Columbus, but just saying as a resident who has lived in both cities, Columbus still has that small town feel to it.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:16 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,103,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
I'm sure downtown Columbus is a lot better than it was 30 years ago, long before I moved here. But saying Cleveland and Columbus are similar in their downtown cores is a little ridiculous. I see new construction all the time in downtown Cleveland, here in Columbus, next to nothing.

I'm not knocking Columbus, but just saying as a resident who has lived in both cities, Columbus still has that small town feel to it.
Not to be rude but just because you don't pay attention doesn't mean that development is happening. It's actually occurring pretty rapidly in Columbus and if anything much of the city feels like it's under construction.

Projects that have been recently completed or are underway in the core of Columbus:

Scioto Mile
Columbus Commons
Expansion of the Columbus Center
The complete renewal of high street in The University District
The 12 story Park edge condos in The Arena District
The New Coleman Government Center
Grandview Yard
The Normandy apartments downtown on Long Street
Standard Hall in The Short North
New homes in Italian Village's Jefferey Park
Northside Library
New office space near Huntington Park
Hubbard Park Place in Victorian Village
The Jerome Apartment Buildings in Victorian Village
The King Avenue Apartments
The Olympic in Clintonville
Bike lanes on Summit
The new Nationwide Children's Hospital Building
The new five story mixed use apartment building on town and 5th downtown
The LC Riversouth Building
The Ohio Veterans Museum in Franklinton
Aston Row townhomes in Victorian Village
Sixth Street condos downtown
The new Middle West Distillery
The Truberry on Second Condo in Victorian Village
The Joseph Hotel in the Short North
The 8 story city of Columbus Garbage downtown on Long Street
The Rogue fitness manufacturing facility in Milo-Grogan
New single family homes in Weinland Park
The Burwell in Italian Village
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus