Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,350 times

Advertisements

Planning a move to the area. Wondering about commute times and traffic for living in new albany area and working near OSU/Wexner Medical Center,,,

and the other commute question would be living in the Upper Arlington area and (spouse) commuting to near the John Glenn airport for work.

Both commute times would be like 7:30-8:30 in the morning and 4:30-6 in the evening

any thoughts on these commutes is much appreciated! thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 02:41 PM

23 posts, read 25,168 times
If one of you will work at the airport and one at OSU, I would strongly suggest moving to Upper Arlington. In my opinion it is better than New Albany in almost every regard. It's close to everything, schools are great, it's safe, plenty to do. The commute from UA (depending on where you are) to the airport would be about 35 with traffic, the commute to OSU would be a breeze.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:25 PM

279 posts, read 592,171 times
Plus one for that last reply.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,350 times
Greatly appreciate the response. Other than schools and proximity to Columbus/things to do.... is there any other reason UA is better? Also just curious what the NA to OSU commute would be like...

Old 12-16-2016, 08:34 AM

23 posts, read 25,168 times
On a medium traffic day, NA to OSU could take 40+ minutes. In my experience the majority's commute is from Suburb to City. This means everyone from Westerville, NA, Gahanna, etc are making their way downtown or to OSU for work.

Personally, I think the housing stock is better in UA. Beautiful older homes with tons of character. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with NA. The reasons I wouldn't live in NA would be the long commute to Columbus, not very walkable, and schools.

But hey, I couldn't afford a house in either neighborhood, so your best bet would be to drive around and experience each neighborhood for yourself.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:46 PM

233 posts, read 413,003 times
I would consider Arlington first, next door is Grandview another great choice. The housing stock is older both places but they have the best commutes to OSU. Both have a bustling, city feel.
New Albany is a great community with a small town feel, newer housing stock. Lots of homes in the 10 to 20 year range.
Check them all out, eyeball neighborhoods in your price range and drive your potential commuting routes.
Welcome to Columbus.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:27 AM

730 posts, read 775,882 times
UA is going to be the better commute.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:37 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,102,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdrive112 View Post
Planning a move to the area. Wondering about commute times and traffic for living in new albany area and working near OSU/Wexner Medical Center,,,

and the other commute question would be living in the Upper Arlington area and (spouse) commuting to near the John Glenn airport for work.

Both commute times would be like 7:30-8:30 in the morning and 4:30-6 in the evening

any thoughts on these commutes is much appreciated! thank you
UA to the airport is roughly 25-30 minutes, that can vary pretty considerably with traffic. UA to OSU is a breeze and depending where you live I'm thinking 15 minutes-20 max if that.

Both UA and New Albany are affluent and safe suburbs. UA is more established/historic while New Albany feels more "planned" and newer. UA is close to downtown/OSU/Grandview while New Albany is further out from Central Columbus but close to great shopping destinations like Easton/Polaris.

You can't really go wrong with either. I would visit and see which you prefer.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:43 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
UA is an older and more elegant area, with better access to both the city and park system. New Albany is more of a preplanned, generic suburb but better if you want to be more isolated.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:06 PM

121 posts, read 229,079 times
Consider Westerville , worthington in your list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus