Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Columbus ever be the largest metro in Ohio?
Yes (definitely) 68 51.13%
No (never) 25 18.80%
Maybe 40 30.08%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 08:15 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Making extraordinary claims requires extraordinary proof. I assume you have all kinds of supporting evidence that the Census’ numbers are biased against cities... well specifically, I can only assume you’re talking about the fact that it doesn’t support the CinDay claim, so it must be a conspiracy. Come on. Do you really think the Census gives two craps about that? They’re not there to boost the ego of ConDay boosters. Also, you already admitted the numbers weren’t right, now you’re attempting to treat them as gospel. Make up your mind.
As I expected would happen, this debate has descended into a quagmire of misconstrued issues and personal assaults. Therefore, I'm going to reiterate my own position and curtail this useless firefight.

In closing, just let me say that, in the poll, I voted "maybe" as to whether Columbus will become Ohio's biggest metro. However, I meant strictly as an MSA as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau. As such, this seems highly possible and has already occurred, vis-a-vis Cleveland.

It's at the next level of population measurements set by the U.S. Census (CSA) that such optimistic projections level out. First of all, in no way will Columbus ever surpass Cleveland (3,485,691) in such a contest. Second, if the U.S. Census Bureau ever revises their CSA standards to reflect reality in Ohio, neither will Columbus overtake Cincinnati. This position is easily derived from viewing recent nighttime satellite photos in conjunction with population stats of the World Agglomeration website (which, to your chagrin, recognizes CinDay). The fact that these two sources of information match up so beautifully has upset you and you have reacted accordingly. Once again - all one needs to do is scrutinize how extended the U.S. Census CSA regions are regarding Columbus contrasted to how constricted they are regarding Cincinnati. Consider the one major adjustment...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area
COLUMBUS. 2,481,585

* to Zanesville: 56 miles
* to Chillicothe: 48.4 miles
* to Marion: 47.9 miles
* to Mt. Vernon: 48 miles
* to Bellefontaine: 59 miles
* to Cambridge: 80 miles
* to Washington Court House: 49.2 miles

CINCINNATI. 2,238,265

* to Wilmington: 51 miles
* to Maysville, Ky: 61 miles

DAYTON. (CSA) 1,077,108 (+) CINCINNATI. (combined CSA) = 3,315,373

* to Dayton: 54 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 09:00 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
As I expected would happen, this debate has descended into a quagmire of misconstrued issues and personal assaults. Therefore, I'm going to reiterate my own position and curtail this useless firefight.

In closing, just let me say that, in the poll, I voted "maybe" as to whether Columbus will become Ohio's biggest metro. However, I meant strictly as an MSA as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau. As such, this seems highly possible and has already occurred, vis-a-vis Cleveland.

It's at the next level of population measurements set by the U.S. Census (CSA) that such optimistic projections level out. First of all, in no way will Columbus ever surpass Cleveland (3,485,691) in such a contest. Second, if the U.S. Census Bureau ever revises their CSA standards to reflect reality in Ohio, neither will Columbus overtake Cincinnati. This position is easily derived from viewing recent nighttime satellite photos in conjunction with population stats of the World Agglomeration website (which, to your chagrin, recognizes CinDay). The fact that these two sources of information match up so beautifully has upset you and you have reacted accordingly. Once again - all one needs to do is scrutinize how extended the U.S. Census CSA regions are regarding Columbus contrasted to how constricted they are regarding Cincinnati. Consider the one major adjustment...
COLUMBUS. 2,481,585

* to Zanesville: 56 miles
* to Chillicothe: 48.4 miles
* to Marion: 47.9 miles
* to Mt. Vernon: 48 miles
* to Bellefontaine: 59 miles
* to Cambridge: 80 miles
* to Washington Court House: 49.2 miles

CINCINNATI. 2,238,265

DAYTON. (CSA) 1,077,108 (+) CINCINNATI. (combined CSA) = 3,315,373

* to Dayton: 54 miles
It was a response to your direct and indirect suggestion that the Census figures can't be trusted because of political bias against certain cities, of which you have no proof of whatsoever. You said this while building up a random site on the internet that makes 0 population counts itself and doesn't even follow its own stated formula for creating its "agglomerations". Whatever disagreements we might have, I expected better. We can certainly have legitimate discussions as to whether specific designations are accurate, like CSA and MSA, but the standards used for them are applied evenly across the country. In fact, if CinDay ever does get official recognition by the Census, you undermine that potential result by calling into question the Census itself. If the Census isn't accurate now with its designations, why would it be in the future if those designations are changed?

So again I ask, how can a site that you're claiming to be accurate also be missing at least 600,000 people from such a combination? That's kind of a big error to be making sweeping claims of accuracy.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:48 PM

30 posts, read 31,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman;54667429 ([URL
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/712129main_8247975848_88635d38a1_o.jpg[/url])[/i] is dated, it nevertheless documents the continuous set of developments you mentioned. Obviously, the light sources don't actually represent people, but such a photo closely mimics the population spread portrayed by the World Agglomerations graphics. To examine how similar these two sources are, locate the 3-Cs by their rankings (#173/189/321), select and click the city and then the third box from the left that will appear (with the red tear drop shaped pointer and labeled"Google Maps Street Map"). Finally, view the yellow areas enclosed by peach outlines.
All you have achieved with the introduction of satellite photos is that Columbus is the most compact metro of the 3C's. It's interesting how Columbus is constantly touted as sprawl wasteland and suburbia but yes by these photos it seems quite the opposite. With neck and neck metro populations, Columbus seems to be the most compact of them all... so how would you like to wordsmith and backflip out of that?

Old 03-14-2019, 03:00 PM

212 posts, read 198,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevolsDance View Post
All you have achieved with the introduction of satellite photos is that Columbus is the most compact metro of the 3C's. It's interesting how Columbus is constantly touted as sprawl wasteland and suburbia but yes by these photos it seems quite the opposite. With neck and neck metro populations, Columbus seems to be the most compact of them all... so how would you like to wordsmith and backflip out of that?
People from the other two Cs do this all the time.

First, Columbus was a cow town. Then, Columbus was only big because of annexation, and was therefore one giant suburb. Now, actually Columbus is the smallest because "insert SW or NE Ohio region that is 3x the land area of Columbus" houses three million people.

They continue to move the goal posts to fit their preconceived notion that Columbus sucks. No amount of literally anything will get these crazed, biased losers to see what the over two hundred thousand new residents since 2010 see.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:30 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,372,717 times
Quote:
Drive around Cleveland, her inner-ring suburbs, freeways or even ride a rapid transit. Explore metro Cleveland. You will then be able to answer your own questions.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:29 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
People from the other two Cs do this all the time.

First, Columbus was a cow town. Then, Columbus was only big because of annexation, and was therefore one giant suburb. Now, actually Columbus is the smallest because "insert SW or NE Ohio region that is 3x the land area of Columbus" houses three million people.

They continue to move the goal posts to fit their preconceived notion that Columbus sucks. No amount of literally anything will get these crazed, biased losers to see what the over two hundred thousand new residents since 2010 see.

Not one person in this thread has said Columbus sucks. Everyone likes Columbus. "Crazed biased losers"....??? Really?

Times change...and like it or not...CinDay is emerging as a real ever-increasingly unified region.

Why do you think one of the nations largest sports destinations is under construction on the west side of the Miami river Near downtown Hamilton...something that may become one of if not THE largest attraction in the Midwest?

https://youtu.be/OAqWHlHeaeY

Answer...CinDay....the folks at Spooky Nook understand they are locating in a metro area of some 3.000.000 even if you are in denial of that.

When Spooky Nook is completed in 2021 the list of destinations/attractions in between Cincinnati and Dayton..

Spooky Nook
The Great Miami River/bike trail
Resurgent downtown Middletown
The reborn Sorg Opera House
Jungle Jims...the workds greatest food store
Traders World..Midwests largest flea market
Liberty Center
Austin Landing
Kings Island
A thriving growing downtown Hamilton
Historic riverfront Miamisburg
Thriving Lebanon..named Ohios most charming city
And yes..that giant Jesus statue

Contrary to some peoples' opinions..the area between Cin/Day was never simply empty fields. Less and less everyday.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-14-2019 at 09:29 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I've long thought Columbus' compactness was very interesting considering its reputation. I'm not sure why it hasn't sprawled out more than it has given the lack of significant topographical features, but the result is that it has one of the highest core city population capture rates of any metro area in America.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:30 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
All you have achieved with the introduction of satellite photos is that Columbus is the most compact metro of the 3C's. It's interesting how Columbus is constantly touted as sprawl wasteland and suburbia but yes by these photos it seems quite the opposite. With neck and neck metro populations, Columbus seems to be the most compact of them all... so how would you like to wordsmith and blackflip out of that?
That's easy - just wheel around and lob this exercise into your lap. In satellite photos, important information lays hidden in plain sight.
High time you spot these things for yourself. Let's get started...

(a) Copy down the total number of cities that comprise the Cbus and Cincy CSA's. With these two metros themselves included, your list should total eleven:

(b) Fill your monitor with the largest image you can of Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton. Next, locate and identify every source if light representing one of the eleven cities above - plus the swath of light encompassing Dayton. Then, decide why Dayton wasn't included in this very same list:
https://blue-marble.de/nightlights/2012

(c) Select one of the enclosed overlays, making note of the eight smallest cities comprising the CSA's of Cbus and Cincy, plus these smaller cities' locations and distances from their two larger parent metros. Any one of these overlays will prove helpful in addressing questions posed in the section below:
https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#...rs=B0FFFFTFFFF

(d) Scroll down the list of cities and engage CUA input concerning Cbus and Cincy. Next, utilize the red tear-drop shaped pointer to expand their yellow CUA areas enclosed in peach.
Analyze how these two graphic representations convey such different interpretations of Cbus' and Cincy's population/kms., contrasted with info presented by the U.S. Census in the above link (a):

Finished? If not, perhaps Clevelanders can help you juggle the mess of light sources around to bring this little exercise to a close. However, maybe you shouldn't ask them to do that - they aren't nearly as nice as I am.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2020 at 04:03 AM..

Old 03-17-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
That's easy - just wheel around and lob this exercise into your lap. In satellite photos, important information lays hidden in plain sight.
High time you spot these things for yourself. Let's get started...

(a) Copy down the total number of cities that comprise the Cbus and Cincy CSA's. With these two metros themselves included, your list should total eleven:

(b) Fill your monitor with the largest image you can of Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton. Next, locate and identify every source if light representing one of the eleven cities above - plus the swath of light encompassing Dayton. Then, decide why Dayton wasn't included in this very same list:
https://blue-marble.de/nightlights/2012

(c) Select one of the enclosed overlays, making note of the eight smallest cities comprising the CSA's of Cbus and Cincy, plus these smaller cities' locations and distances from their two larger parent metros. Any one of these overlays will prove helpful in addressing questions posed in the section below:
https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#...rs=B0FFFFTFFFF

(d) Scroll down the list of cities and engage CUA input concerning Cbus and Cincy. Next, utilize the red tear-drop shaped pointer to expand their yellow CUA areas enclosed in peach.
Analyze how these two graphic representations convey such different interpretations of Cbus' and Cincy's population/kms., contrasted with info presented by the U.S. Census in the above link (a):

Finished? If not, perhaps Clevelanders can help you juggle the mess of light sources around to bring this little exercise to a close. However, maybe you shouldn't ask them to do that - they aren't nearly as nice as I am.
You still have never been able to explain how nighttime satellite photos support the existence of Cin-Day or how the citypopulation site is accurate when they are missing 600,000 people by your own admission. I don't think you really can and this is all just about confirmation bias.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2020 at 04:03 AM..

Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Here are the population figures from 1990-2017 for communities along the I-75 corridor. The legacy cities of Middletown, Hamilton, Miamisburg and Franklin are all slightly up and total about 142,000.

Springboro 6590 18,610
Trenton 6189 12,912
Clearcreek 6,800 14,200
Monroe 4008 13,683
Turtlecreek 10,383 16,317
Liberty 9314 38,248
WChester 37,894 63,597
Lebanon 10,453 20,622
SLebanon 2,538 4,506
Mason 11,452 33,225

1990 105,621
2017 235,920

Seriously folks...the merger is happening...numbers don't lie.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-18-2019 at 12:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus