Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Columbus ever be the largest metro in Ohio?
Yes (definitely) 68 50.75%
No (never) 25 18.66%
Maybe 41 30.60%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 06:03 PM

204 posts, read 71,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
yes exactly 10% of a city in one neighborhood is actually a massive percentage. it’s very representative of the entire city at large beyond it’s borders, much more so than german village. this is obvious and frankly the poster, who has been around for a while, is bad faith. he wants to have a discussion about what? how 10% of the population isn’t that much? about how much people travel? it’s ridiculous.
So we should judge all cities by their worst 10%? Do you really want to do that with other Ohio cities, because I'm not sure any of them would look very good.

Sorry, what poster am I supposed to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Perhaps realtors stalk the forums to steer the conversation to selling homes in c-bus...totally making that up BTW...
Definitely not a realtor. I once interviewed to be one... in 2007. Needles to say, it didn't work out at the time.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:04 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
Is there any evidence that annexation was caused by a desire to be a "big city"? It seems like it was because of water rights and a fear that they would eventually get boxed in by suburbs and face a financial crisis with falling tax revenues. I don't think bragging rights or size had anything to do with it.

What are we really considering to be a good neighborhood in this debate? What are the characteristics that we should be judging that? If we had an established set of guidelines, that would go a long way in determining what does and doesn't match.
The lesson of Columbus, Ohio is that there are no shortcuts to being a major metropolitan city. You have to put the work in.

Hey lets annex these rural towns to consolidate revenue. Maybe someday we'll get around to making those newly annexed places look somewhat city-like. (40 years later)....Nahhhh, things are good enough as it is, after all-we're the biggest city in Ohio by far!

When you see a vacant part of Cleveland or Detroit, you know at one point it was bustling and built up.

When you see this in Columbus:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9156...8192?entry=ttu

You know it was annexed as part of a lazy, half baked scheme with no intention of any development.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:10 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

You know it was annexed as part of a lazy, half baked scheme with no intention of any development.
Thats the type of under-development Im talking about.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The lesson of Columbus, Ohio is that there are no shortcuts to being a major metropolitan city. You have to put the work in.

Hey lets annex these rural towns to consolidate revenue. Maybe someday we'll get around to making those newly annexed places look somewhat city-like. (40 years later)....Nahhhh, things are good enough as it is, after all-we're the biggest city in Ohio by far!

When you see a vacant part of Cleveland or Detroit, you know at one point it was bustling and built up.

Cleveland and Detroit didn't annex and let themselves get surrounded, and it hurt them in the long run. As Tom said, annexation worked. Yeah, that means that some of the places within the boundary are fairly empty pieces of land, but I imagine they will take their decades of stable economic fortunes over what the alternative was.

I have seen that Columbus is getting ready to change its codes. Hopefully it will be smart about it and write some new ones that encourage better development throughout.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:44 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
So we should judge all cities by their worst 10%? Do you really want to do that with other Ohio cities, because I'm not sure any of them would look very good.

Sorry, what poster am I supposed to be?
it's not the worst 10%, it's the largest neighborhood. in cleveland i believe old brooklyn is the largest neighborhood. i think OB is a pretty fair barometer of the city overall.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 08-17-2023 at 09:36 PM..

Old 08-18-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
it's not the worst 10%, it's the largest neighborhood. in cleveland i believe old brooklyn is the largest neighborhood. i think OB is a pretty fair barometer of the city overall.
Yeah, I imagine it does at 78 square miles. But you still did say 10% of the Columbus is representatitve of all of Columbus.

Old 08-18-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I imagine it does at 78 square miles. But you still did say 10% of the Columbus is representatitve of all of Columbus.
Let's go check the record!

Quote:
Northland is however the largest neighborhood in Columbus at nearly 100k people so imo it's a good barometer of what the city is like for the most amount of people.
Yes, Northland is much more representative of the city of Columbus than Olde Towne East (5k) or German Village (4k) or Victorian Village (4k) or Short North (2k). Do you think many people know that this core area only has an actual population of about 15-20k? I would bet most people have no idea. Hilltop meanwhile comes in at 70k, Northland at 100k. I consider Northland and Hilltop relatively similar. Hell even Far South is more than twice as populated as the central core.

My point is that people want to talk about Columbus as if it's one big German Village and just a bustling quaint beautiful metropolis. It is not. The difference between what you see as a visitor and what you see as an actual resident is massive.

Old 08-18-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Cleveland and Detroit didn't annex and let themselves get surrounded, and it hurt them in the long run. As Tom said, annexation worked. Yeah, that means that some of the places within the boundary are fairly empty pieces of land, but I imagine they will take their decades of stable economic fortunes over what the alternative was.

I have seen that Columbus is getting ready to change its codes. Hopefully it will be smart about it and write some new ones that encourage better development throughout.
Not annexing enough probably comes in around #41 of the top problems those cities had that lead to population loss.

Old 08-18-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Let's go check the record!

Yes, Northland is much more representative of the city of Columbus than Olde Towne East (5k) or German Village (4k) or Victorian Village (4k) or Short North (2k). Do you think many people know that this core area only has an actual population of about 15-20k? I would bet most people have no idea. Hilltop meanwhile comes in at 70k, Northland at 100k. I consider Northland and Hilltop relatively similar. Hell even Far South is more than twice as populated as the central core.

My point is that people want to talk about Columbus as if it's one big German Village and just a bustling quaint beautiful metropolis. It is not. The difference between what you see as a visitor and what you see as an actual resident is massive.
So wouldn't a better comparison be of an equally sized section of the city? Compare one 100K section to another, or one 25 square miles to another 25 square miles. Northland is 25 square miles, while Hilltop, at least according to Wiki, is about 15 square miles. So it's not exactly of equal size or population.

I guess that depends how we're measuring the core. What neighborhoods can be considered core neighborhoods? What boundaries would be fair to use?

I think is this is just another straw man you're tearing down. I didn't see a single person make any claims that all of Columbus was urban or like German Village. What I did see is people using urban neighborhoods like that to say that not all of Columbus was low density suburban, which is kind of what you're arguing it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus