Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2023, 08:31 PM

65 posts, read 91,587 times

Advertisements

Typically, I avoid buying brand new vehicles given that I am very finnicky and would get very upset, angry and distressed in case I found that out that the car got damaged during a routing trip to the grocery store. If the car is relatively new -- but not necessarily brand new -- it is still feels very upsetting and distressing, but it does not feel as bad.

Currently, I have three vehicles: a brand new 2023 Chevy Bolt; an old, but still in great shape, and with very low miles, 2013 chevy Volt; and a relatively new 2020 Acura MDX with Technology package. Also, I drive very little; maybe 200 miles per month on average with my vehicles combined (mostly with my chevy volt).

Today (07/11/23) I decided to go out with my Acura MDX for some errands. The Acura has been in the garage for the last three weeks and haven't been driven during that time; so, I am positive that the vehicle was in perfect shape for the last days. Firstly, I went to the DMV and the parking lot was almost empty, but I still parked far away for good measure; and spent maybe 45 minutes there. Afterwards, I stopped by at a relatively small mall and went to a "Big Lots" store to buy some stuff; and, as usual, I parked far away from other vehicles, etc, and the mall was kind of slow anyways. Subsequently, I stopped by at local medium size grocery store (Aldi) and same type of situation and scenario as the one at the "Big Lots" store. Once I was done with the groceries, I went to a tunnel car wash nearby -- "Moo Moo" car wash in Pickerington, OH.

Apparently, the car washing process went without any incident with one exception (which I did not associate with any possible type of damage to my vehicle): twice the whole car wash tunnel stopped for maybe 1 minutes each time and an alarm sounded off inside the car wash tunnel both times. Once I arrived home, I could not help but notice large and deep scratches (more like grooves really) in the left fender and going all the way to the front fascia/bumper and the deep elongated scratch in the left side of the front fascia/bumper went for about 2 feet in length. Those are very large and deep scratches that likely were created by some strong mechanical arm that went around the fender and to the front fascia. The types of mechanical arms one would find in a tunnel car wash.

That is a significant amount of cosmetic damage that one would not expect to take place in a car wash (never going to use tunnel car washes ever again). It significantly tainted and ruined the appearance of an otherwise nice and relatively new vehicle that was in an almost impeccable state and condition. Unneeded to say, that is an extremely distressful and disturbing situation.

Any insights on how to approach that situation would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 05:04 AM

212 posts, read 198,850 times
Always use touchless car washes, man. The fibers on the cloth could have grit from previous washes stuck to them that then score your car. Or, grit on your car can be dragged across it with the cloth. I'm sure there's an implied "contract" by you using their facility. There's probably nothing you can do but talk to your insurance company.

Old 07-13-2023, 12:29 AM

65 posts, read 91,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
Always use touchless car washes, man. The fibers on the cloth could have grit from previous washes stuck to them that then score your car. Or, grit on your car can be dragged across it with the cloth. I'm sure there's an implied "contract" by you using their facility. There's probably nothing you can do but talk to your insurance company.
Yeah, I should know better; and have used touchless car wash or simply wash the vehicle in a basic car wash place that uses power washer.

By filing a claim with the insurance company for that type of issue would likely increase the insurance premium?

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2023, 02:07 PM

833 posts, read 657,158 times
OP talk to car wash folks. Let them know your vehicle has damage due to this wash and that you would like to settle this to mutual satisfaction. Good luck and stand your ground.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:15 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk3000 View Post
(never going to use tunnel car washes ever again).
There's your answer.

Whadda piece of a work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus