Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 PM

71 posts, read 288,589 times

Advertisements

Apart from the one racist comment from the gentle-man from Alaska. Let me try to answer the main question the thread poster has asked.

Somalis are moving in to Columbus, Ohio because mainly because of the safety, good education and the conservative atmosphere which is very similar to what we have in Somalia. The same is true in Minnesota and else where. Somalis are by nature very nomadic people. They wonder through the deserts of East Africa in search of water and grassing land for their livestock. Answering a very similar question on why Somalis were moving in large numbers to Maine, a Somali expert at the University of Maine said, " Somalis are nomadic and go to where-ever it is raining. Right now, it is raining in Maine."

Hope, that my 2-cents worth of opinion helps.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:41 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
Interesting article about Somalians moving to Pittsburgh:

'A big difference': Somalian refugees find tough times here but also opportunity

Old 09-02-2008, 12:08 AM

174 posts, read 697,869 times
There's always been plenty of Somlians in Columbus...I remember the police fatally shot a somilian man on the northside some years back...Had the whole community outraged. I don't know were you guys have been

Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 PM

71 posts, read 288,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Interesting article about Somalians moving to Pittsburgh:

'A big difference': Somalian refugees find tough times here but also opportunity
Those are Bantus.They face discrimination in Somalia and it is encouraging that the US government is relocating them to the US

Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 AM

34 posts, read 141,683 times
I've notice that the Somalians tend to take over the Northern Lights area. Their population is very large on the side of town, and it's still growing.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:52 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
I don't care if every single Somali wants to move over here. That's fine. So long as they do it LEGALLY and do not eat up at our welfare system..or raise the crime rates intensely..then we have NO problems. Unfortunately this hasn't always been the case which is obviously why the issue is being brought up.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:40 AM

87 posts, read 180,789 times
im used to them now. i dont even notice them anymore lol

Old 09-05-2008, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,467 times
Default i am an immigrant

I came to USA in 1977. There was a nursing shortage and my mom was a nurse, so we were able to get a visa. But that is not the weird part. I'm an american. I have been since I was 10. I've lived in USA for my whole life after being 10, that is 32 years ago. My views of who and what I was were shaped in USA. I was a Regan democrat. Things started to go wrong when I worked for Ariba whose stock went from 300 dollars to 2 dollars. We execercised stocks at wrong point. Like we were tax lawyers or something right? So we got in tax trouble.
But thing is I am now in Bangalore. Why do you ask? In 2003 I got laid off, had an amt tax of 900,000. I and my husband paid off 740,000 thousand of that, after taking second mortagage and selling off every single investment we had. We have over 700,000 dollars in short term and long term tax credit. So basiscally govenment owes us 700,000 and we owe the government 140,000. My son went to a private school for which we paid $10,000 a year. Public school in my area wasn't the greatest. I know we were yuppies. I have no problem admitting that. I was laid off in 2003. We were on verge of bankruptcy. We didn't want to declare bankruptcy because you know community saying "oh my god, how can you be?" We lived in San Jose California.
My bottom line is I got a good job, I got screwed, and I decided to move because of my kids and education. Maybe I am a republican, Maybe I am a democrat but bottom line is: Our family moved during Bush administration when we thought we were getting screwed. In fact my growing up in USA is helping me here, because I really really want to make a diff in the world. I am a softwear engineer, by profession. I want to leave the world better place for my kids, my grandkids, and all who follow me. Yes it has changed my prespective of what really matters. I left my home (USA for those who doubt), and for all intended purpose moved to a foreign country that doesn't really accept me as who I am. But I still vote in american, californian elections.
Don't feel sorry for me. I landed on my feet, but I miss home sooo badly. On some days it is like, "You feel like crying but you don't want to. You want to be strong, but spit goes down your throat like, and it is hard to swallow. It is squezzing your heart. and You can't breath."
I want Obama to win because I think he will bring change. May be I'll move back home. The trust is completly gone, in the current administration.
If you think it is a cake walk try defending USA in a foreign country, and how much we are made fun of. And I'm a person who has gotten in face of other people saying don't say **** about USA, I don't say **** about India. And I am of Indian heritage.
My view point is get to know the other side. And I think if Obama is elected, if the economy improves we might move back home again. I miss it. Most of all I miss the humor of laughing at our carcitures, of being proud of ourselves, of security of being an American, we are great and I don't doubt it. But we absolutely need a safety net when we are in trouble.

anymous (of indian descent)

Old 09-06-2008, 09:11 AM

7 posts, read 30,698 times
The problem really is that not a whole lot of them are moving in legally.

I can't imagine what visa they must have to settle in this area? A whole bunch of them just land up, get married to a US citizen or green card holder and acquire one for themselves. This is still sadly a popular and quicker way to settling in the US and I know for a fact a large number of Somalians and even Nigerians are indulging in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
I don't care if every single Somali wants to move over here. That's fine. So long as they do it LEGALLY and do not eat up at our welfare system..or raise the crime rates intensely..then we have NO problems. Unfortunately this hasn't always been the case which is obviously why the issue is being brought up.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:09 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupal_d View Post
I came to USA in 1977. There was a nursing shortage and my mom was a nurse, so we were able to get a visa. But that is not the weird part. I'm an american. I have been since I was 10. I've lived in USA for my whole life after being 10, that is 32 years ago. My views of who and what I was were shaped in USA. I was a Regan democrat. Things started to go wrong when I worked for Ariba whose stock went from 300 dollars to 2 dollars. We execercised stocks at wrong point. Like we were tax lawyers or something right? So we got in tax trouble.
But thing is I am now in Bangalore. Why do you ask? In 2003 I got laid off, had an amt tax of 900,000. I and my husband paid off 740,000 thousand of that, after taking second mortagage and selling off every single investment we had. We have over 700,000 dollars in short term and long term tax credit. So basiscally govenment owes us 700,000 and we owe the government 140,000. My son went to a private school for which we paid $10,000 a year. Public school in my area wasn't the greatest. I know we were yuppies. I have no problem admitting that. I was laid off in 2003. We were on verge of bankruptcy. We didn't want to declare bankruptcy because you know community saying "oh my god, how can you be?" We lived in San Jose California.
My bottom line is I got a good job, I got screwed, and I decided to move because of my kids and education. Maybe I am a republican, Maybe I am a democrat but bottom line is: Our family moved during Bush administration when we thought we were getting screwed. In fact my growing up in USA is helping me here, because I really really want to make a diff in the world. I am a softwear engineer, by profession. I want to leave the world better place for my kids, my grandkids, and all who follow me. Yes it has changed my prespective of what really matters. I left my home (USA for those who doubt), and for all intended purpose moved to a foreign country that doesn't really accept me as who I am. But I still vote in american, californian elections.
Don't feel sorry for me. I landed on my feet, but I miss home sooo badly. On some days it is like, "You feel like crying but you don't want to. You want to be strong, but spit goes down your throat like, and it is hard to swallow. It is squezzing your heart. and You can't breath."
I want Obama to win because I think he will bring change. May be I'll move back home. The trust is completly gone, in the current administration.
If you think it is a cake walk try defending USA in a foreign country, and how much we are made fun of. And I'm a person who has gotten in face of other people saying don't say **** about USA, I don't say **** about India. And I am of Indian heritage.
My view point is get to know the other side. And I think if Obama is elected, if the economy improves we might move back home again. I miss it. Most of all I miss the humor of laughing at our carcitures, of being proud of ourselves, of security of being an American, we are great and I don't doubt it. But we absolutely need a safety net when we are in trouble.

anymous (of indian descent)
Are you saying you left because of the current (Bush) administration and will come back when Obama is elected because his policies will be an advantage to your situation?

I am also baffled by what you said about the amount of money you owe the government. Did you leave because you owe money to the Feds and could not repay? They owe YOU money? Either way you are talking some big bucks - please explain. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus