Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM

150 posts, read 980,798 times

Advertisements

Wow, punishing your sick grandmother because you got a ticket is pretty terrible. In addition, I'm sure you'd be yelling "copsrcrap" if you needed police assistance. Maybe you could take 10 deep breaths and try keeping things in perspective.

Just out of curiousity, where does grandma live? Do you drive an old car/fit a stereotype/wear a lot of bling/play loud music/etc? I am not implying that it's your fault if you truly were obeying all traffic laws, but am just curious as to what made these officers target you. I live in Columbus and have never had any issues.

If you really didn't do anything wrong, go present your case to the magistrate. I sincerely doubt if you fight the ticket and lose you will go to jail for 30 days. Or just realize sometimes life isn't fair and suck it up and pay the fine.

Edit:
Here is my "no fair" story. Now, this did not happen in Columbus, but I once got a "photo ticket" at 6:50 am in a school zone...even though the school zone rule didn't go into effect until 7 am! Because of the school zone I got to pay double the fine, but figured it wasn't worth the time or money to go fight it, especially since it didn't involve points, and I was on vacation. I wasn't happy, but I'm not harboring negativity toward school children because I happened to get a ticket while driving by a school!

Last edited by 2006Buckeye; 12-29-2008 at 06:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM

25 posts, read 42,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
Wow, punishing your sick grandmother because you got a ticket is pretty terrible. In addition, I'm sure you'd be yelling "copsrcrap" if you needed police assistance. Maybe you could take 10 deep breaths and try keeping things in perspective.

Just out of curiousity, where does grandma live? Do you drive an old car/fit a stereotype/wear a lot of bling/play loud music/etc? I am not implying that it's your fault if you truly were obeying all traffic laws, but am just curious as to what made these officers target you. I live in Columbus and have never had any issues.

If you really didn't do anything wrong, go present your case to the magistrate. I sincerely doubt if you fight the ticket and lose you will go to jail for 30 days. Or just realize sometimes life isn't fair and suck it up and pay the fine.

Edit:
Here is my "no fair" story. Now, this did not happen in Columbus, but I once got a "photo ticket" at 6:50 am in a school zone...even though the school zone rule didn't go into effect until 7 am! Because of the school zone I got to pay double the fine, but figured it wasn't worth the time or money to go fight it, especially since it didn't involve points, and I was on vacation. I wasn't happy, but I'm not harboring negativity toward school children because I happened to get a ticket while driving by a school!
You don't seem to understand, it's sticking me with 2 offenses I did not commit, and they don't have to tell me what I did, they don't even have to note it on their copy of the ticket, like most other places in Ohio. I don't harbor any ill will towards anyone.

I don't play the stereo loud, don't wear any bling, don't look like a thug. I look like a mom. Here's what I think happened, I pulled out, they came up behind me making me an easy target. I slowed down immediately to turn into a driveway, and they thought I was slowing because of them...but was not. One of them was a trainee and didn't know what he was doing.

I obtained a copy of the ticket and the notes on the back. I wanted to see where they were when they say I didn't stop completey for the sign. I wanted to see what they said I did. I wanted to see if the trainee thought I didn't stop BEFORE the sign. If that's the case, I'm not required to do that according to the Ohio Revised Code, I'm only required to stop where I can see the traffic, meaning I can roll past the sign. There was no white marker, sidewalk, or line, and this is why. But guess what, the cop didn't note any of this stuff. He only noted, stop sign, and the two street names, and that I tried to argue with him. He even quoted somethings I said, and some weren't correct. Freedom of Speech is part of our rights, why was he quoting me in his notes, instead of noting what happened, why I was being charged with an offense I could be given the opportunity to defend myself?

Because they aren't required to note it, and good luck with any defense, because without "discovery" there is no way to defened yourself.

Last edited by copsRcrap; 12-30-2008 at 05:26 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I thought the crazies were calling 1230 AM these days?

I love being just crazy enough to have graduated from Ohio State with honors, and to have tested gifted when I was in high school. I'm sure that's over your head, as well as the subject at hand. So I'll consider the source. You're now on ignore. Aren't forums powered by V-Bulletin the best?

Old 12-30-2008, 05:31 PM

I can estimate from where they were when I pulled out, and how long it takes a person to pull out and accelerate at the speed limit on that road. From that I can take the feet in a mile and get feet they travelled per second. Then pull up google maps ariel view and pinpoint exactly where they were when they first saw me, then get the street view from that location.

I did this actually, and you can't see the stop sign or anything from that far back. But I would still need an expert witness to testifly exactly how many seconds it takes for a person to pull out and accelerate, before a car came up behind me at a certain speed. I cannot prove how many seconds back they were, only try and convince the judge of this. It's not cut and dry, I would need their notes as to what happened to win my case. There aren't any so I cannot win.

Last edited by copsRcrap; 12-30-2008 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 06:34 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copsRcrap View Post
I love being just crazy enough to have graduated from Ohio State with honors, and to have tested gifted when I was in high school.
Were you an honor student in middle school too?

I think you'll find, as you go through life, that you aren't really as special as you think you are. There are a lot of "gifted" people out there. I live and work in central DC, and I encounter a lot tremendously bright and talented people on a daily basis. I also encounter a good number of pompous a-holes. They're the ones walking up to you at cocktail parties and not-so-casually working into conversations that they graduated magna *** laude from Harvard Law and whatnot. That's usually met with a roll of the eyes and a quick dash to the hors d'oeurves, because out here Ivy League diplomas are as common as rabid Buckeye fans in Columbus. The ones who feel compelled to tout such accomplishments in a public manner are typically the individuals compensating for something else in their lives.

I guess what I'm saying is, gifted child or not, cutting off visits to your sick grandmother over a traffic ticket would strike most people as a slight overreaction. But, hey, I wasn't there. Maybe the cop was really mean?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Were you an honor student in middle school too?

I think you'll find, as you go through life, that you aren't really as special That's usually met with a roll of the eyes and a quick dash to the hors d'oeurves, because out here Ivy League diplomas are as common as rabid Buckeye fans in Columbus. The ones who feel compelled to tout such accomplishments in a public manner are typically the individuals compensating for something else in their lives.

I guess what I'm saying is, gifted child or not, cutting off visits to your sick grandmother over a traffic ticket would strike most people as a slight overreaction. But, hey, I wasn't there. Maybe the cop was really mean?
It sends them dashing to get some deviled eggs? Nice. I'm sure you're talking about people who are compelled to tout their accomplishments WITHOUT being called crazy. It must take a few minutes for ignore to kick in?? But, hey, no hard feelings here.

I'm not trying to cut of visits to my grandmother. When I find a solution, like a car video system, I'll definately visit her.

Most people who are considered gifted, don't consider themselves "special". It's not easy seeing things most others don't.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
It sends them dashing to get some deviled eggs?
No, crabcakes. We don't do deviled eggs here.

Quote:
I'm sure you're talking about people who are compelled to tout their accomplishments WITHOUT being called crazy.
Crazy and gifted aren't mutually exclusive. Nor, for that matter, are crazy and special.

And I don't see anyone here calling you crazy. Overreactive, yes. But crazy? I don't know. (For the record, I don't know how "gifted" you are either. Not, apparently, very gifted with dealing with disputable traffic tickets...but that's neither here nor there.)

I hope you get your video system installed and "ignore" feature working soon.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 PM

150 posts, read 980,798 times
Quote:
It sends them dashing to get some deviled eggs? Nice. I'm sure you're talking about people who are compelled to tout their accomplishments WITHOUT being called crazy. It must take a few minutes for ignore to kick in?? But, hey, no hard feelings here.

I'm not trying to cut of visits to my grandmother. When I find a solution, like a car video system, I'll definately visit her.

Most people who are considered gifted, don't consider themselves "special". It's not easy seeing things most others don't.
Off topic, but deviled eggs don't make it on the hors d'oeurves trays in D.C. I think deviled eggs are more of a potluck/picnic item.

Anyway, if you are clear, concise and well-prepared, go present your case to the magistrate. You would likely have an opportunity to question the police offers. It seems like you need to have your day in "court." You really don't need expert witnesses, and maybe the lack of notes could work in your favor. Take all the information you have. At this point you don't have much to lose, and you seem incredibly angry, to the point where you will punish an innocent party (grandma). Maybe court would be a better outlet than a C-D forum.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
Off topic, but deviled eggs don't make it on the hors d'oeurves trays in D.C. I think deviled eggs are more of a potluck/picnic item.

Anyway, if you are clear, concise and well-prepared, go present your case to the magistrate. You would likely have an opportunity to question the police offers. It seems like you need to have your day in "court." You really don't need expert witnesses, and maybe the lack of notes could work in your favor. Take all the information you have. At this point you don't have much to lose, and you seem incredibly angry, to the point where you will punish an innocent party (grandma). Maybe court would be a better outlet than a C-D forum.
Hors d'oeurves means deviled eggs in French. Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. I would love to have my date in court, but the reason for my rant on this board, is because I knew I was not guilty of either charge, at least quite certain. So if I was in fact guilty, I wanted an explanation. And instead of getting one, I was told I was "arguing". To make matters worse, what I did "wrong" is not even noted on the ticket for discovery. I feel incredibly disheveled, and upset, but not angry. And with discovery I could easily win the case. What I'm not understanding in the scenerio, is how anyone could feel this type of treatment is ok.

You cannot go to court without discovery. You just can't. The penalty for losing is so high, the risk is not worth it.

Yes, I know the police do a dangerous job, and for that they deserve to be commended. However, that does not change the fact, average law abiding citizens do not want to be charged with something they did not do. Or if they feel they did not do it, they should at least be able to obtain a copy of notes explaning what they did, in fact, do wrong. And the chance to dispute it. There's really no chance the way it is now.

DISCOVERY - Part of the pre-trial litigation process during which each party requests relevant information and documents from the other side in an attempt to "discover" pertinent facts. Generally discovery devices include depositions, interogatories, requests for admissions, document production requests and requests for inspection.

Last edited by copsRcrap; 12-30-2008 at 11:28 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 11:55 PM

120 posts, read 631,493 times
Default re

Next time, just flash your boobs. I hear that works wonders in getting out of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus