Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 21,586 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating this summer from Los Angeles as he will be attending OSU for Grad School in the fall. We have already looked at several neighborhoods and are now currently looking in Westerville. We are looking to be just north of Columbus (my family is in Cleveland) but in an area that has lots of parks, trails, is dog and family friendly and more importantly to get the most house for our buck. We are on a limited budget as he will be in school and can only spend about $150k. Schools are not really important right now as we don't have any children (yet). We have seen a lot of affordable houses in areas east of 71 and south of 270. Some of the neighborhoods include Huber Ridge, Blendon, Minerva Park & Sharon. Any advice on these neighborhoods is greatly appreciated. Plus, if you have any other advice, I'll take it! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM

76 posts, read 235,689 times
I grew up in Westerville, although I do not live in Columbus anymore. I would recommend living in Westerville for the parks, safety, and cleanliness. However, you should know that there are not many bars, restaurants in the city as it was formerly the dry capital of the US. Something to keep in mind.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 AM

150 posts, read 981,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakarbear View Post
My husband and I are relocating this summer from Los Angeles as he will be attending OSU for Grad School in the fall. We have already looked at several neighborhoods and are now currently looking in Westerville. We are looking to be just north of Columbus (my family is in Cleveland) but in an area that has lots of parks, trails, is dog and family friendly and more importantly to get the most house for our buck. We are on a limited budget as he will be in school and can only spend about $150k. Schools are not really important right now as we don't have any children (yet). We have seen a lot of affordable houses in areas east of 71 and south of 270. Some of the neighborhoods include Huber Ridge, Blendon, Minerva Park & Sharon. Any advice on these neighborhoods is greatly appreciated. Plus, if you have any other advice, I'll take it! Thanks
IMO most of the homes you will get for under $150k are going to be in declining neighborhoods. An exception might be the little homes in the neighborhoods north of Schrock, west of State (Rt 3) or north of Schrock and east of State (Rt 3).

The neighborhoods you have listed are cheap for a reason. Huber Ridge is probably the best bet of all the neighborhoods you have listed, but really, it's better to stay north of Schrock Rd. Here are a few examples.
Real Living HER - Buy a home. Sell your house. Find an agent and a mortgage. (http://her.realliving.com/Property/Details.aspx?PropID=11410332 - broken link)
Real Living HER - Buy a home. Sell your house. Find an agent and a mortgage. (http://her.realliving.com/Property/Details.aspx?PropID=12807604 - broken link)

Is your husband only going to be in grad school for two years? Do you plan to relocate after he completes school?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:08 AM

Thanks. We don't really care about bars and such as I don't drink. We are planning on living there for at least 5 years as his program is a Masters into a PHD program, so that is why we want to buy.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:02 PM

22 posts, read 75,431 times
Have you considered looking closer to OSU? Clintonville, Italian Village, Short North, Harrison West and Victorian Village would meet your requirements. If schools are not an issue, then you'll find more house for your money in the Columbus school district vs. a suburb district. Your taxes will be lower too.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:51 PM

The areas closer to OSU seem to be much more expensive for a single family home.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 PM

455 posts, read 1,885,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakarbear View Post
The areas closer to OSU seem to be much more expensive for a single family home.
You get what you pay for in Columbus. Clintonville has a neighborhood to the north called Beechwold and it is a very good place if you look south of Morse Rd and west of I-71. It's less expensive as well.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 PM

150 posts, read 981,031 times
Although all of the places TJ named are very nice, I really doubt there's a home in your price range. You could probably find something in the Beechwold area, but it would be a smaller house. If you are willing to settle for a smaller home, you could find something. There is a reason people want to live around campus, and resale is generally pretty good. But, you make concessions.

I can understand wanting to buy if you will be here for five years, but before you buy, make sure you check out the neighborhoods in person. The problem with the areas you are considering in "Westerville" is, uh, to be blunt, going kind of ghetto. Take a drive down Morse Road or 161. Not good areas. Fairly high crime. You might get more house, but that house is going to be in a declining neighborhood. Generally Columbus taxes and Westerville schools aren't going to be the best neighborhoods.

Dublin and Worthington are most likely out of your price range. Hilliard is west, Gahanna is east, and each would probably have homes in your price range. Pickerington is way east, and you can get a whole lot of house for your money. Delaware is north. You could prob get a 1400 sq. ft cookie cutter home for under $150k, but again, it's far from OSU. Although, tons of people live in Delaware and commute to Columbus.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 PM

455 posts, read 1,885,017 times
I would love to know where the official border between Clintonville and Beechwold happens to be. On one hand, you have (or had) the Beechwold Clinic, where my mother worked for 20 years, across the street from Overbrook which is two blocks south of Cooke Rd. Then you have people north of Henderson Rd, all the way up to Graceland, who seem to think they live in Clintonville. I would draw the line at Watterson High School... but that is just me. Any official word? (que streetcreed)

Last edited by HuskerDu; 03-26-2009 at 09:19 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 PM

22 posts, read 75,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
Although all of the places TJ named are very nice, I really doubt there's a home in your price range.
While I don't like to have Internet fights, I must correct you. I just found about 80 properties between 135k-160k in the Clintonvile/OSU/Ital Village/NW Columbus area.

There are PLENTY of options for you in your price range, Bear. You just need some help narrowing it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus