Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times

Advertisements

The other day I was talking with someone about Columbus (I lived there in 1994-1996), and the topic turned to the city's demographics. When I lived there, Franklinton and the Parsons Avenue area both had a significant population of Appalachians and Appalachian-descended people. Is that still the case? I'm just curious. I taught at OSU for a couple of years and had a few students from those areas, and they were very committed to those neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 AM

54 posts, read 264,618 times
I'm an Appalachain, East Kentucky is where I grew up before moving off to Florida and such when i was 18. Most of my family in Columbus that migrated from East Kentucky settled in an area chock full of Appalachains just south of the 104 freeway off Groveport rd. I myself also moved here not long ago and settled on the southern side of the metro because of my relatives and the south side of Columbus is closer to KY than living on the north side adding 30 minutes on a trip home.

Parsons south of the 104 is still full of Appalachians of all generations

Old 04-09-2009, 10:49 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,056 times
Yes you pinpointed it correctly the near west side and the near SE side, Parsons Ave/Groveport Rd, both have Appalachian pasts.

However, many of these previous immigrants have moved out to "newer" areas of Columbus or the subursb. Following general decentralized migration patterns, ala urban sprawl.

It appears that many of those who are left in these areas tend be poorer and both areas are full of factories (especially 104/parsons) that have closed and resulted in many lost jobs.

Today the SE side has seen many white collar workers rent out apartments due to the cheaper rents or young professionals/gay couples rehabbing the homes. The "bottoms", near west side, is the only section of Columbus that has seen little gentrification. Though even some of the warehouses there have been fixed up by artists and a few LGBT people.

I would say the Columbus you knew when working at OSU, years ago, is now more diverse and the Appalachian population is more dispersed but still generally concentrated on the entire west side of the metro, SW side of the metro, and SE side of the metro, just not solely in the inner city as much.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times
Thanks for these responses, both of you. I only lived in Columbus for two years, but absolutely loved it. I hope the Appalachians aren't losing their heritage as they blend in with the larger population. One of these days a return visit to Columbus will be in order.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:12 PM
bgo

33 posts, read 97,795 times
Plenty of Appalachians everywhere in Columbus. The southern accent is very apparent. I saw a documentary on TV about the migration of Appalachians to Ohio. It's pretty dominant.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:27 PM

455 posts, read 1,885,017 times
Appalachians who live in areas surrounding their natural element are not the same as those who have populated impoverished urban areas to the north for generations. I will bite my tongue in not simply painting them all with a broad brush but for the most part we all know what has become of the unskilled laborors who migrated north into Ohio from West Virginia over the course of the past several decades. Not pretty.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:55 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,425 times
I'm an Appalachain American that used to live in Columbus.

Matter of fact, many Appys I grew up with ended up in Dublin.

I lived in the Little Turtle area of Westerville.

You couldn't pay me a million dollars a year to live in Dublin.

If I end up moving back I hope to live in either Victorian Village or UA.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:51 AM

54 posts, read 264,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
I'm an Appalachain American that used to live in Columbus.

Matter of fact, many Appys I grew up with ended up in Dublin.

I lived in the Little Turtle area of Westerville.

You couldn't pay me a million dollars a year to live in Dublin.

If I end up moving back I hope to live in either Victorian Village or UA.
pssshh amen to Dublin....

Old 04-17-2009, 01:30 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusNEWb View Post
pssshh amen to Dublin....

LOLs. I don't care for suburbia.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
LOLs. I don't care for suburbia.
I echo the feeling but everyone has their preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus