Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times

Advertisements

In looking at the monthly sales statistics, Columbus metro area home sales are way of their historical norms. However, prices seem to be holding for those homes that sell, which is a bit of an aberration from the national story.

My own observation when living in Columbus was that the area has an extraordinary number of upscale homes, which surprised me based on both the amount of space available for construction, average household income, and fairly high property tax rates.

I was also a bit surprised the area could support this, based on the rather moderate metro growth rate.

What do you think housing will do over the next few years in Columbus? Do you see a rebound in sales numbers, or do you see prices declining?

Do you think there will be a shift towards construction of more modest priced homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
In looking at the monthly sales statistics, Columbus metro area home sales are way of their historical norms. However, prices seem to be holding for those homes that sell, which is a bit of an aberration from the national story.

My own observation when living in Columbus was that the area has an extraordinary number of upscale homes, which surprised me based on both the amount of space available for construction, average household income, and fairly high property tax rates.

I was also a bit surprised the area could support this, based on the rather moderate metro growth rate.

What do you think housing will do over the next few years in Columbus? Do you see a rebound in sales numbers, or do you see prices declining?

Do you think there will be a shift towards construction of more modest priced homes?
More modest?
The average house is under $200K.
What is modest to you?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:10 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
More modest?
The average house is under $200K.
What is modest to you?
Are you looking at just the new homes under construction? My sentiment originated from looking at the overall market, focusing on homes for sale today.

Taking a brief look at Realtor.com, I saw that between Franklin County and southern Delaware County, metro Columbus had over 1,000 homes for sale priced at more than $500K. Factoring an average property tax bill of about 2% of purchase price, and the payments would be rather steep even with a 20% down payment.

Looking at the monthly or quarterly sales totals, it appears that homes are selling at about 30-40% of the rate from a couple of years ago, leading me to wonder if the market may have too many large and expensive homes relative to income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: