Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times

Advertisements

chet_kinkaid, you are partly correct. columbus has a few more 5ooft buildings than cleveland. but thats it.. the big picture is both have 10 buildings over 400ft with clevelands having a couple real tall skyscrapers. over-all columbus top 30 are smaller than our top 30. also, as for total "highrise" buildings. columbus has only 80,cincy has 120,cleveland 124. imo that is why columbus skyline seems empty between its taller buildings,it lacks in-fill. how-ever that being said, i visit columbus monthly and i personally like cbus skyline better than cincy. i like height in a skyline and cincy is lacking that. List of tallest buildings in Columbus, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . List of tallest buildings in Cleveland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . List of tallest buildings in Cincinnati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 03:07 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
I really would like to see more construction in the Columbus skyline. Although things are really starting to pick up on ground-level, and I guess I would rather see that than new highrise construction.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Hey, chet_kinkaid, wait just a minute before you claim that the Columbus CSA will be larger than that of Cincinnati. It's been speculated for years {and is now almost certain) that "CIN-DAY" will be a reality -- with a CSA of over 3.2 million people. With the completion of the I-75 /Austin Rd. interchange between Cincy and Dayton, these two cities will be unofficially connected. Don't believe it? Then may I suggest you take a drive down I-75, starting around Tipp City/Vandalia, Oh. and ending around Richwood/Walton, Ky. You'll be impressed!

Old 12-25-2010, 01:39 AM

368 posts, read 638,489 times
motorman..im very familiar with that area.i have lived in cincy also.but metro areas are based on areas of proximity and also importantly commute patterns to work..springfield and the northeastern parts of metro dayton are geographically closer to columbus in many cases and almost certainly more ppl in that area commute to metro cbus than cincy..im surprised that springfield and clark county havent yet been added to the cbus csa

Old 12-25-2010, 08:30 AM

chet_kinkaid, i fail to see why people from cbus think columbus is a large metro. no offense , but give cleveland and cincy credit. both metros are twice as large as c-bus as far as developed county,surrounding counties and sprawl. 5.2 mil. people live in 13 counties of northeast ohio. thats almost half of ohios total population.. chet, look at cities that have major league baseball, those are most likely to be your biggest metro/tv markets. ps- i vote for cbus as ohios largest suburb. j/k

Old 12-26-2010, 12:10 AM

368 posts, read 638,489 times
water..i have lived in cleveland and cincinnati.i love both places but the reality is that columbus will be the largest and most important metro area in ohio in the not too distant future.northeast ohio is losing population..and i cant imagine they will get those ppl back..if you look at population within a 50 mile radius of the city ..cleveland is the largest right now..akron is closer to cleveland than many of cincinnatis suburbs are to cincy.but in looking at census projections in the future..which have been pretty accurate over the years,columbus will be the dominant city in population and wealth.columbus is actually very close to cincinnati in population within a 50 mile radius of the city.and like i stated earlier..alot of the dayton csa is closer and more directly related to the columbus csa than to cincinnati.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 AM

chet, i have to disagree. N.E. Ohio has leveled out finally. and in no way would anyone ever believe columbus/central ohio have 5.2 mil. people in its surrounding 13 counties. imo, it will never even catch cincy either. also, wealth? you have no clue >Northeast Ohio philanthropists' gifts have helped region weather economic storms | cleveland.com. chet ,i visit your town often. what does it have that cleveland doesnt? osu and nhl? when im in downtown cbus, i can drive 6 miles east,west and south and im already in a rural area. go north (12miles) polarous/deleware and nothing again. i like cbus, but you are kidding yourself.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:49 AM

285 posts, read 642,032 times
1watertiger, what is the source for N.E. Ohio's population leveling out? In terms of just metro Cleveland, it went from 2,148,143 to 2,091,286 between 2000 and 2009. Columbus was around 1,800,000 in 2009 and is still rapidly growing. If metro Cleveland continues this decline and Columbus continues growth it will not be long until it has a great deal to offer that Cleveland does not. Also, why are you including all of NE Ohio when comparing Cbus and Cleveland? Cuyahoga and Franklin Counties are comparable in population, with Franklin still growing. I fail to see how people living in Youngstown and Canton areas make Cleveland bigger than Columbus.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 AM

czb2004, cleveland/cuyahoga county has long been developed. the adjacent counties are very developed also(lorain,lake,summit,medina). in fact akrons north burbs and clevelands south/southeast burbs are connected already. south delaware county in your metro is really the only developed county around you. columbus' 2mil metro includes ross,marion,fayette,knox. cmon man,we all know its nothing but farms/very rural country side.. like i said, i visit once/month and i like cbus but lets be real. our far east suburbs (mentor) stretch almost 60 miles across to far west suburbs (avon,n.ridgeville). Greater Cleveland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .Columbus, Ohio metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. do you really believe cleveland or cincy will not sprawl/develope any more? i suggest you visit both metros and it will be obvious columbus will never surpass either of them. ever fly over the state on a clear night? columbus is very small from that view. ps- what are you referring to when you say columbus will have a "great deal" to offer that cleveland doesnt ? dont believe all the negative putdowns/lists, because 10 life-long cbus residents visit me hear in cleveland monthly and they all wish cbus had the ammenities we have. also, i want to stress i like cbus, but it wont ever compare in our lifetimes.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 PM

285 posts, read 642,032 times
I'm not trying to start an argument, I just think Chet is right on this one. Columbus metro may not surpass Cleveland in the near future, but I think that it will surpass Cincy within the next 10-20 years. Here is an article in which Columbus is rated one of the fastest growing cities in America by Forbes The Fastest-Growing Cities In The U.S. - Columbus, Ohio - Forbes.com
It was also rated an emerging tech city Top 10 Up-And-Coming Tech Cities - Forbes.com
Columbus metro is projected to gain between 600,000 and 800,000 people within the next 20 years and it is a younger city as well. If you look at the census bureau's website at the population of Columbus by year you can see that more people have been entering the city every year. C'mon, give Columbus just a little more credit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus