Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 05:08 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I have no doubt you think those were all debunked, but no one has even tried. And they aren't "alternative facts", they are indisputable. They don't fit the narrative, so it's no surprise they get ignored.

I don't respond to many, many posts. Your propensity to promote things outside of the Columbus area remains.

Anyway, you are free to have the last word. Frankly, this debate has been done so many times now, it is just boring. Nobody is going to convince anyone of anything. The same people are going to continue to hate on Columbus while accusing others of boosterism. It never really stops.
"You're free to have the last word right after I have this last word."

You literally respond to every post by the way. Such a boring debate that y ou can't help but have it all the time right? It's of just so little interest you I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 11:20 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Many Columbus boosters often are parochial and deluded, and have a much higher opinion of Columbus in many areas other than its zoo, population growth, and employment growth than generally is warranted, especially versus Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh.
Personally I would give the nod to Pittsburgh for "ethnic/cultural" diversity over Columbus but in all honestly neither are terribly diverse, especially compared to where I grew up in metro NYC. I don't think Columbus' or Pittsburgh's relative homogeneity is necessarily a bad or good quality but more of a factual statement.

I actually don't care for the Columbus zoo too much. I find it to be a completely average experience. I'll also be the first to admit our public transit blows and is essentially a joke.

I also am pretty well-educated and have traveled to most major American cities and several cities abroad so I am far from narrow-minded.

The stereotype of Columbus being one bland suburb gets old rather quickly and also shows the complete ignorance of people who perpetuate that stereotype. Most of Columbus main suburbs actually have charming main street areas/mini downtowns of their own i.e. Grandview Ave, Old Worthington, Uptown Westerville, Historic Dublin/The Bridge Street District, main street in Bexley, Old Hilliard.

Clearly you have civic pride and support Cleveland, especially when others post what you may see as untrue information about a place you love. I'm gonna do the same for Columbus.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:01 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
The stereotype of Columbus being one bland suburb gets old rather quickly and also shows the complete ignorance of people who perpetuate that stereotype. Most of Columbus main suburbs actually have charming main street areas/mini downtowns of their own i.e. Grandview Ave, Old Worthington, Uptown Westerville, Historic Dublin/The Bridge Street District, main street in Bexley, Old Hilliard.
That is an excellent point, but that's true of Cincinnati and Cleveland as well. What differentiates Columbus from the other two "Cs" is that the city proper has swaths of suburban-like sprawl within the city itself due to the nature and timing of its expansion.

I'm not certain if it matters whether urban sprawl is within the major city of a metropolitan area or in the suburbs, except that Columbus doesn't seem to have the same level of tension between "outer ring" suburbs and "inner ring" suburbs and the central city that is seen in Cleveland, where many entities and persons want to see infrastructure spending refocused away from urban sprawl. Is this an issue in Columbus??? If not, is it because Columbus itself has promoted urban sprawl?

Easton Town Center, Polaris and the new outlet mall are superb retail areas, but they've drained retail vitality from the rest of Greater Columbus, certainly contributing to the demise of Columbus City Center, which was a bright hope just a few decades ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_City_Center

Columbus, typical of cities that expanded rapidly in the late 20th century, doesn't have the cultural heft of the old legacy cities that benefited from the philanthropy and inherited wealth generated by the great industrialists of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Yet hese growth cities, such as Columbus, expanded for a reason, and there was some combination of economic factors that generated the relative economic growth.

In this regard, there are aspects of Cleveland that disturb me greatly, especially its economic prospects, whether relative to Columbus or not. As I've mentioned repeatedly throughout this Ohio forum, I believe the Republican Toll Road (Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road) increasingly will eviscerate even further the once great northern Ohio manufacturing economy. Cleveland's goal of building its economy around medical services seems tenuous, given that great medical centers (think Nationwide Children's Center in Columbus; the once stellar position of Cleveland's Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital has been eroded by competition from both the Cleveland Clinic and Nationwide) are being established in many U.S. cities and even globally, and I don't see an obvious alternative for the Cleveland economy.

Cleveland, or any city, would benefit greatly from having the firm economic base provided by being the state capital. That's why I'm always perplexed when Columbus posters belittle that obvious and substantial attribute of Columbus. Columbus boosters should tout that advantage at every opportunity, although there probably is some element to the belief that the golden egg should be hidden from envious onlookers.

Columbus has benefited tremendously from being the home of both the state capital and of Ohio's great land grant university. Yet Columbus did find an additional major footing for its post-WWII expansion in the U.S. consumer economy, with the emergence of the Wexner empire and large restaurant chains headquartered in Columbus, as well as the expansion of the Columbus insurance industry. Columbus has been a great beneficiary of Medicare, given the thousands employed by Nationwide in the city processing Medicare claims. I personally wonder how online retailing and artificial intelligence will impact Columbus employment in these important sectors of the Columbus economy in coming decades.

Cleveland's appeal, relative to Columbus, if you read through the Cleveland forum, is some combination of a low cost of living, very strong cultural assets including some world-class institutions, pro sports franchises, Lake Erie (though threatened by declining environmental standards both in the U.S. and Ohio), and great legacy natural areas and parks. Like Columbus and Cincinnati, Cleveland has many very good suburbs. Cleveland still has many well-paying jobs, especially relative to its cost of living, but the general economic growth is not robust.

Yet without a robust economy, will Cleveland be able to maintain its legacy assets? Without continued robust growth, will Columbus be able to develop comparable amenities in the coming decades?

Columbus fortunately has developed a very good metroparks system (this is a legacy asset almost impossible to recreate if areas aren't conserved before development), and currently has a relatively strong economy.

The challenge for all of Ohio, not just the major cities, is developing an economic base for the 21st century. Perhaps the foundations are there, but I personally don't see a Silicon Valley anywhere in Ohio.

What are the next great growth companies anywhere in Ohio? What is our Amazon, Uber, Tesla, etc.? Can anyone name one?

Is it indicative of today's Ohio mentality that we don't discuss this, especially in the Ohio forums? In the first decade of the 21st century, scores of corporations could have been identified across Ohio as having bright futures. Dayton in 1910 was arguably the San Jose of today, with the likes of NCR, Delco, and an incipient aeronautical industry powering it forward.

What will be the future economy drivers in Greater Columbus, let alone the other major metropolitan areas of the state let alone the state in its entirety?

One growth area in Ohio likely will be the exploitation of the Utica shale energy reserves, but this has come at the expense fo a stealth environmental crisis, given the large amounts of radioactive waste being injected beneath potable water reserves with little public awareness let alone outcry.

The cultural and ethnic heritage of America's great cities greatly resulted from their status as magnets of economic opportunity and generators of economic wealth. Is this period passing into history as we struggle with economic growth and additionally are increasingly shutting down immigration to the U.S.?

Last edited by WRnative; 02-20-2017 at 03:16 AM..

Old 02-20-2017, 07:22 AM

There really are no great, world changing companies setting up shop in Ohio. Our politicians have made it very unfriendly to industry. You'd think start ups would take advantage of the low costs, but government makes it expensive. So why would anyone come to Cleveland or Columbus or Cincinnati? All the major companies ohio has are questionable- insurance, medicine, government, etc. Could all fall away very quickly. Columbus is actually quite vulnerable I'd say. Lots of money injected to the city via taxes, the most thriving industries are entirely consumption based- food chains, limited brands, etc. What happens once the higher education bubble pops or the rest of Ohio gets tired of seeing its money go to the capital?

Old 02-21-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There really are no great, world changing companies setting up shop in Ohio. Our politicians have made it very unfriendly to industry. You'd think start ups would take advantage of the low costs, but government makes it expensive. So why would anyone come to Cleveland or Columbus or Cincinnati? All the major companies ohio has are questionable- insurance, medicine, government, etc. Could all fall away very quickly. Columbus is actually quite vulnerable I'd say. Lots of money injected to the city via taxes, the most thriving industries are entirely consumption based- food chains, limited brands, etc. What happens once the higher education bubble pops or the rest of Ohio gets tired of seeing its money go to the capital?
Please provide some research examining the current Ohio tax system versus that in other states. There have been massive changes in the last four years.

Regardless, there is a trade off between low tax rate systems and poor public services, including public education.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Please provide some research examining the current Ohio tax system versus that in other states. There have been massive changes in the last four years.

Regardless, there is a trade off between low tax rate systems and poor public services, including public education.
The CAT is completely inexcusable. All gross receipt taxes are ridiculous.

https://taxfoundation.org/gross-rece...e-experiences/

https://researchcouncil.org/files/do...inesstaxes.pdf (from 10 years ago, but the description remains quite good)

It's like they don't even know when to let it go: Ohio Can Impose Commercial Activity Tax on Online Retailers

This alone is MAJOR. Maybe the average person doesn't think much about it, but businesses surely know. Crippling ramifications. Just bad policy. Why would anyone willingly relocate into that?

In terms of individual taxes, RITA is very strange to people who don't have it. I'm thankful for not having to deal with that now to be honest. Top marginal rates in Ohio are kinda in the middle, so not terrible. Though PA, IN, and MI are all lower considerably. Top rates in Massachusetts where I am currently are actually a hair under Ohio. Sales taxes also kinda in the middle of the pack.

I personally don't know why Ohio doesn't open itself up to business and people in the form of a lessened tax burden and lessened confusing and hard to recognize rules. What does it think it has to lose?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:52 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,145,017 times
Quote:
You do realize that this is essentially what Texas has, don't you?

Old 02-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
You do realize that this is essentially what Texas has, don't you?
Your point? It's idiotic no matter who does it. Texas benefits from oil. They can somewhat mitigate their dumb tax calls. It won't last.

Can't believe you're seriously defending the CAT by saying well other people do it. There are like 4 states that do it. Very very very stupid call for Ohio.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:

https://taxfoundation.org/gross-rece...e-experiences/

https://researchcouncil.org/files/do...inesstaxes.pdf (from 10 years ago, but the description remains quite good)

It's like they don't even know when to let it go: Ohio Can Impose Commercial Activity Tax on Online Retailers

This alone is MAJOR. Maybe the average person doesn't think much about it, but businesses surely know. Crippling ramifications. Just bad policy. Why would anyone willingly relocate into that?

In terms of individual taxes, RITA is very strange to people who don't have it. I'm thankful for not having to deal with that now to be honest. Top marginal rates in Ohio are kinda in the middle, so not terrible. Though PA, IN, and MI are all lower considerably. Top rates in Massachusetts where I am currently are actually a hair under Ohio. Sales taxes also kinda in the middle of the pack.

I personally don't know why Ohio doesn't open itself up to business and people in the form of a lessened tax burden and lessened confusing and hard to recognize rules. What does it think it has to lose?
What matters is the level of taxation. The gross receipts tax in Ohio is 0.26 percent with the first $1 million of receipts excluded. Hardly crippling.

Ohio Department of Taxation > commercial_activities > information_releases > index_cat > cat_2013_05

Too many persons hate taxes, but increasingly want to siphon off state revenues to their personal benefit while gutting public services.

The secretive JobsOhio program is the most egregious example of this that I've ever seen, championed by "tax-hating" Republicans who have gutted the state's local government fund, leading to vast budget problems in many Ohio communities. Diverting $200 million annually away from public expenditures to a secretive slush fund for private businesses should disgust all Ohioans.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:13 AM

730 posts, read 775,275 times
Quote:
That is an excellent point, but that's true of Cincinnati and Cleveland as well. What differentiates Columbus from the other two "Cs" is that the city proper has swaths of suburban-like sprawl within the city itself due to the nature and timing of its expansion.

I'm not certain if it matters whether urban sprawl is within the major city of a metropolitan area or in the suburbs, except that Columbus doesn't seem to have the same level of tension between "outer ring" suburbs and "inner ring" suburbs and the central city that is seen in Cleveland, where many entities and persons want to see infrastructure spending refocused away from urban sprawl. Is this an issue in Columbus??? If not, is it because Columbus itself has promoted urban sprawl?

Easton Town Center, Polaris and the new outlet mall are superb retail areas, but they've drained retail vitality from the rest of Greater Columbus, certainly contributing to the demise of Columbus City Center, which was a bright hope just a few decades ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_City_Center

Columbus, typical of cities that expanded rapidly in the late 20th century, doesn't have the cultural heft of the old legacy cities that benefited from the philanthropy and inherited wealth generated by the great industrialists of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Yet hese growth cities, such as Columbus, expanded for a reason, and there was some combination of economic factors that generated the relative economic growth.

In this regard, there are aspects of Cleveland that disturb me greatly, especially its economic prospects, whether relative to Columbus or not. As I've mentioned repeatedly throughout this Ohio forum, I believe the Republican Toll Road (Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road) increasingly will eviscerate even further the once great northern Ohio manufacturing economy. Cleveland's goal of building its economy around medical services seems tenuous, given that great medical centers (think Nationwide Children's Center in Columbus; the once stellar position of Cleveland's Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital has been eroded by competition from both the Cleveland Clinic and Nationwide) are being established in many U.S. cities and even globally, and I don't see an obvious alternative for the Cleveland economy.

Cleveland, or any city, would benefit greatly from having the firm economic base provided by being the state capital. That's why I'm always perplexed when Columbus posters belittle that obvious and substantial attribute of Columbus. Columbus boosters should tout that advantage at every opportunity, although there probably is some element to the belief that the golden egg should be hidden from envious onlookers.

Columbus has benefited tremendously from being the home of both the state capital and of Ohio's great land grant university. Yet Columbus did find an additional major footing for its post-WWII expansion in the U.S. consumer economy, with the emergence of the Wexner empire and large restaurant chains headquartered in Columbus, as well as the expansion of the Columbus insurance industry. Columbus has been a great beneficiary of Medicare, given the thousands employed by Nationwide in the city processing Medicare claims. I personally wonder how online retailing and artificial intelligence will impact Columbus employment in these important sectors of the Columbus economy in coming decades.

Cleveland's appeal, relative to Columbus, if you read through the Cleveland forum, is some combination of a low cost of living, very strong cultural assets including some world-class institutions, pro sports franchises, Lake Erie (though threatened by declining environmental standards both in the U.S. and Ohio), and great legacy natural areas and parks. Like Columbus and Cincinnati, Cleveland has many very good suburbs. Cleveland still has many well-paying jobs, especially relative to its cost of living, but the general economic growth is not robust.

Yet without a robust economy, will Cleveland be able to maintain its legacy assets? Without continued robust growth, will Columbus be able to develop comparable amenities in the coming decades?

Columbus fortunately has developed a very good metroparks system (this is a legacy asset almost impossible to recreate if areas aren't conserved before development), and currently has a relatively strong economy.

The challenge for all of Ohio, not just the major cities, is developing an economic base for the 21st century. Perhaps the foundations are there, but I personally don't see a Silicon Valley anywhere in Ohio.

What are the next great growth companies anywhere in Ohio? What is our Amazon, Uber, Tesla, etc.? Can anyone name one?

Is it indicative of today's Ohio mentality that we don't discuss this, especially in the Ohio forums? In the first decade of the 21st century, scores of corporations could have been identified across Ohio as having bright futures. Dayton in 1910 was arguably the San Jose of today, with the likes of NCR, Delco, and an incipient aeronautical industry powering it forward.

What will be the future economy drivers in Greater Columbus, let alone the other major metropolitan areas of the state let alone the state in its entirety?

One growth area in Ohio likely will be the exploitation of the Utica shale energy reserves, but this has come at the expense fo a stealth environmental crisis, given the large amounts of radioactive waste being injected beneath potable water reserves with little public awareness let alone outcry.

The cultural and ethnic heritage of America's great cities greatly resulted from their status as magnets of economic opportunity and generators of economic wealth. Is this period passing into history as we struggle with economic growth and additionally are increasingly shutting down immigration to the U.S.?
Brick and mortar retail, outside of the high end, is dying all across America and not just in Columbus. Just look at Walmart's present focus on online selling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus