Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 01:54 PM

576 posts, read 994,848 times

Advertisements

I have no clue what to do here, and no longer have the "how to" brochure that came with the Belkin Wireless Router, purchased back in November.

Got a laptop for my daughter that still lives at home, back in November. Bought a wireless router so she could use her laptop anywhere in the home.

Everything went along just fine.

Until...........

A week or so ago. Another daughter that no longer lives at home with us (but does live local). Bought her very first laptop. She hasn't yet gotten internet access at her home, but wanted to be able to utilize the internet service here, when she visits here.

We have no idea what we did, toying around with her computer that she'd come over and bring with her. But we were able to do something where she could now open up and utilize the internet, on her own laptop when she came here to vist. All good, fine.

Daughter #2, that just bought a laptop, but doesn't live here, would leave, and go back home, with her laptop in tow with her.

Mom would try to go on the computer here, and have no internet service, but would turn around and find daughter #1 (that does still live here and has her laptop since November) utilizing her's, she had internet service, but mom doesn't (me).

So I'd have her turn her's off, and then I'd be able to utilize internet.

It's like ever since the above, where we toyed around and did something or other to where she could now get online, it somehow did something to our capability to get online. Now, either I can be online or the daughter can be online, but not both at the same time, on separate computers. Only one of us.

The only thing I've noticed that "might" be any different is that the Belkin Wireless Router seems to have a lock that is lit up. It has many little icons lit up, but one of em seems to be a lock icon. I don't know that to be present "before". But I don't know that it wasn't either. Just don't recall that I ever even looked.

Any ideas what I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 04:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,723,889 times

[CENTER][CENTER][/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

"The standout design feature of this router is one that's been a long time in coming: Belkin replaced the standard LED lights with a top-mounted network-status display that gives you better insight into your network. The LEDs normally mounted on a router blink to indicate activity, but the blinking probably doesn't mean much to someone new to networking, especially when that person is trying to troubleshoot a problematic network connection. Belkin's network-status display panel uses graphical representations of each element of the network: a globe for the Internet; a modem; a three-antenna router; a desktop PC, representing a wired connection; a laptop, representing a wireless connection; and a lock to represent wireless security. The included guide tells you that a solid blue icon means everything is fine, while a blinking amber-colored icon indicates that something is amiss at that juncture in the network. So if you're surfing the Web on your laptop and discover that you can't connect, a quick glance at your router should tell you where to start your investigation."

I'm guessing you set up an encryption key for security and it's only on your daughters laptop. You need to determine what the key is (You did write it down, right?) and enter it in yours.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:56 PM

13,637 posts, read 10,040,055 times
You may want to look at both your computers’ “Network Connections”, Broadband Connections Properties. Under “Advanced” there is a tick box to, “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection“. You may like to try ticking this box.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 PM

269 posts, read 911,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
You may want to look at both your computers’ “Network Connections”, Broadband Connections Properties. Under “Advanced” there is a tick box to, “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection“. You may like to try ticking this box.
Definately don't do this.

Just to clarify, when you are online and working first can your daughter turn on her laptop and work or does it stop your internet connection?

Daughter #2 that leaves when her laptop is connected can Daughter #1 work without issue?

Are you connecting wirelessly or hardwired into the router?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,723,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post

Just to clarify, when you are online and working first can your daughter turn on her laptop and work or does it stop your internet connection?

Daughter #2 that leaves when her laptop is connected can Daughter #1 work without issue?

I agree. Do not do this.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:46 AM

576 posts, read 994,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post

My computer that I utilize is a laptop, but I have it I guess what you'd call just directly connected, I don't pick it up and walk away with it. I just use it like a desktop, sit at a desk with it.

If I'm online, on the net, and daughter #1 that lives here, turns her's on, to the net, she can't get an internet signal, nor can I. Mine goes down. Says "Internet cannot open the webage". Same thing that happens to her.

I can now exit any attempt to surf the net, and then daughter #1 (that lives here) can access her's. Or vice versa. Only one of us can utilize the net.

I am stumped.

Daughter #2 (that doesn't live here, but comes over sometimes to access my internet capacity here) brought her laptop over yesterday evening, and somehow, this time, we were all 3 here surfing the net on our computers simultaneously. No problems this time. But usually, only one of us can do so.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:19 AM

16,684 posts, read 15,693,414 times
You may also want to check the router configuration to see if you have limited the number of connection it will allow.

I've been able to find the manual for almost anything I buy at a yard sale or auction by searching the internet, often on the manufacturer web site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers