Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:46 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,713,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Some name brand machines used to be quite good. I have two IBM IntelliStations and two Compaq Deskpros from the mid-to-late 90's (PPro boxes) which are still running fine. Of course, they're also SCSI boxes (Adaptec 2940UW's, mostly), which tells you there was some expense involved when they were new.

I didn't buy them new. eBay is my friend.
My Lenovo Thinkpad is no where near as well built as my previous IBM Thinkpad was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 01:46 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,102,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Dell was always based on just-in-time inventory and delivery, not quality products or market-leading technology. Michael Dell designed a fulfillment system that cost less to operate, thus lowering the overhead cost in the consumer product. This allowed a slightly lower consumer price and wider profit margins than the competition.
I have to go back a bit in time to find a firsthand example, but I will respectfully disagree. Not "always."

The first x86 computer I ever owned was a Dell System 220. This was a little pizza-box PC with a 40MB hard drive, a 3.5" floppy, and MS-DOS 3.3, but the real selling point was the fact that it had a Harris 80280 chip in it which ran at ... get this ... 20 MHz! It also had VGA/MCGA video on board, which was nice at the time.

Computer Shopper and other mags at the time were holding it up as one of the fastest boxes around. It was a screamer ... I don't think Intel ever made a 286 which ran faster than 16 MHz ... and the mags were presenting it to consumers like it was some sort of computer Porsche.

This was before much software was out to take advantage of the fledgling 386 architecture and its 32-bit data bus, so in most respects the 20 MHz 286 was actually better than its 16MHz 286 and 386 rivals.

Here's a walk down memory lane (at least for me!):

There's a computer in your future - Special Report - evaluation | Nation's Business | Find Articles at BNET

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-6540691.html

InfoWorld - Google Books

80ns SIMMS.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:12 AM

181 posts, read 299,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
My Lenovo Thinkpad is no where near as well built as my previous IBM Thinkpad was.
<sigh> everything is built cheaper these days

Old 07-08-2010, 01:00 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,534,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuilder View Post
<sigh> everything is built cheaper these days
I have to disagree. I've dropped or bumped fairly hard my laptop several times since I got it and it's still running strong. I did that with my dad's laptop in the 90s and, well, my ass was red after that because I broke it (hard drive). It was more expensive, too.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:21 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
You really never know with computers. Long ago we had an old Gateway desktop (back when Gateway had retail stores) that was nothing special at all, we bought it because it was cheap. We upgraded it a couple times with more memory, a bigger HD and a video card. That thing wasn't all that fast but it plugged along for over 8 years without a glitch while the kids went through high school. We finally replaced it because we couldn't upgrade it any more and my son wanted a gaming machine. He built one himself and used that for awhile but just recently bought an Alienware.

We have not had good luck with laptops though, and usually need to replace them every 2-3 years. Right now we have a Dell, and Asus, and an HP.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:23 PM

821 posts, read 862,268 times
Interesting article. Thanks for posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers