Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 05:15 AM

444 posts, read 1,252,676 times

Advertisements

I'm glad this forum is here so I don't have to go in a store and ask a silly question. I have a wireless cable modem for the house. It is wired to my pc. I also connect wireless to the Wii and a laptop. Problem is I get a very weak signal at the far end of the house.

I've heard people say "upgrade the router".
Do I still need the cable modem?
Does one plug into the other?
What kind should I get? (I live in a one story brick rancher in the country)

What's the best way to secure these things (seeing a locked "wireless network")?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,566,202 times
Sounds like you have a single box that is a cable modem and what is commonly referred to as a wireless router.

The "router" portion of this is what provides the security typically through NAT (network address translation) which only allows traffic in that is a response to a request that was sent out from one of your computer. That alone provides a lot of protection.

Wireless performance depends on the technology 'g' or 'n', distance, building construction, antenna orientations and a number of other factors. A different router may or may not help your weak connection at the far end of the house.

Here are some steps to secure your wireless http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_secure.htm

Old 08-04-2010, 08:44 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,993,400 times
Yes, you still need the cable modem.

The thing is - are you still connecting fine despite the weak signal? As long as it connects, then it's not a big deal unless it's so low that it's getting interference (and thus dropped connections).

As for security, WPA is much more secure than WEP. Both your router and your devices must be able to be set for such to be implemented.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Sounds like you have a single box that is a cable modem and what is commonly referred to as a wireless router.
Yeah, it's a 2 year old one from the local cable company.
If they're the same thing, it sounds like I need to simply upgrade the piece from the local Box store.

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Yes, you still need the cable modem.

The thing is - are you still connecting fine despite the weak signal? As long as it connects, then it's not a big deal unless it's so low that it's getting interference (and thus dropped connections).

As for security, WPA is much more secure than WEP. Both your router and your devices must be able to be set for such to be implemented.

The hard wired pc and Wii (closer to the modem) connect fine. It's when I try to use the laptop at the other end. It's a VERY weak signal and "times out" A LOT.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,033,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
The hard wired pc and Wii (closer to the modem) connect fine. It's when I try to use the laptop at the other end. It's a VERY weak signal and "times out" A LOT.
Many things can interfere with a wireless signal, upgrading to a new wireless router may not fix the problem. Appliances, cordess phones, foil covered drywall, tin ceilings, wiring in the walls, the list of hazards goes on.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:43 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,993,400 times
Another aspect ... if your neighbors have wireless on the same channel too, it could be interfering with your signal.

Download and install 'netstumbler', and make a note of what your current router's channel is. Then note if there are any other medium-to-strong networks that are on the same channel. If so, then that's your issue ... and to resolve it, just change your router to another channel (typically 1, 6, or 11).

Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Many things can interfere with a wireless signal, upgrading to a new wireless router may not fix the problem. Appliances, cordess phones, foil covered drywall, tin ceilings, wiring in the walls, the list of hazards goes on.

I do live in a older home and the thick walls have crossed my mind.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:34 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,723,232 times
There's a cheap wifi extender on 1saleaday today.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:04 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,466,466 times
Try moving the rotuer (the device with the antenna) to a different location, if possible. The higher it is, the better (in general). You can also buy a repeater (such as this one) to boost the signal from the wireless transmitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers