Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:31 PM

449 posts, read 878,710 times

Advertisements

I have NEVER used a blank DvD-RW in my computer, and I want to back up my files to it, but Windows Vista Home Premium tells me that "Disk or drive needs to be FORMATTED before using." I know I can backup my files to an external file, but I need to buy one, so, in the meantime...........

I googled it, but now I am confused because it states in many parts that a disk needs to be FORMATTED before BURNING.

Do I need to formatte a blank disc and then burn it, before writing on it?

Please be specific on your answers, remember you have a neonate here....................... Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 02:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,494,378 times
First, I would use DVD-R or DVD+R, not RW. Stick a DVD-R or +R into your drive and Windows will ask if you want to burn files to it. It will ask if you want to use a live file system or mastered. I prefer mastered for maximum compatibility with other computers. Then you just drag files to the DVD drive. When you're done, click the button to actually burn the DVD. No formatting is required. Once burned, I recommend taking the DVD to another machine with a DVD-ROM or DVD+-RW drive and trying to copy a file from it, just to make sure the disk is readable.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:02 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,873,843 times
dont even use a DVD, srs, buy a cheap 100+g HD, then get a external case for it, and you have a 40 dollar investment that will last for years, when you get the HD and external HD case, make sure you get it for the right type of HD as in IDE to IDE or SATA to SATA

Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,768,363 times
Or do what I do. Back up to a server on the Internet. I use Carbonite Online Backup, Computer Backup Software & Remote Backup - Carbonite and it cost me $130 for 3 years with a code I found using Google. The data is encrypted twice before being stored on their servers and it's easy to restore. I've been through a restore for a client and it was not that hard. I did talk to their tech support since it was the first time I was using it and they were extremely helpful.

There are other companies that do the same thing. MozyPro is one.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Or do what I do. Back up to a server on the Internet. I use Carbonite Online Backup, Computer Backup Software & Remote Backup - Carbonite and it cost me $130 for 3 years with a code I found using Google. The data is encrypted twice before being stored on their servers and it's easy to restore. I've been through a restore for a client and it was not that hard. I did talk to their tech support since it was the first time I was using it and they were extremely helpful.

There are other companies that do the same thing. MozyPro is one.

cheaper to just buy an HD and external closure that will last more than 3 years.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 PM

On-site and off-site backups are both important. One really doesn't replace the other.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,768,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
cheaper to just buy an HD and external closure that will last more than 3 years.

Sounds great until you have a fire. It's not cheaper then...

And there is no guarantee that a hard drive will last three years. I had one crash earlier this year in less than two months.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Sounds great until you have a fire. It's not cheaper then...

And there is no guarantee that a hard drive will last three years. I had one crash earlier this year in less than two months.

so youve had a fire? how?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:11 PM

449 posts, read 878,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
First, I would use DVD-R or DVD+R, not RW. Stick a DVD-R or +R into your drive and Windows will ask if you want to burn files to it. It will ask if you want to use a live file system or mastered. I prefer mastered for maximum compatibility with other computers. Then you just drag files to the DVD drive. When you're done, click the button to actually burn the DVD. No formatting is required. Once burned, I recommend taking the DVD to another machine with a DVD-ROM or DVD+-RW drive and trying to copy a file from it, just to make sure the disk is readable.
Need to clarify three points: [1] Anytime I use a blank DVD-R or DVD+R, NO formatting is necessary?

[2] Does a blank DVD-RW needs formatting, always?

[3] Prior to thinking about using the DVD-RW, I started to back up my files on my Recovery [D] drive, but then WinVista came in and said that I have a low space on my Recovery D drive, and cannot continue backing files into it. I checked the Recovery D drive through Properties, and was full and BLUE. I went into Google, but could not find out how to get more space into my Recovery D drive. I cleaned the disk, deleted add-ons, history, got rid of downloads and files that were unnecessary, and nothing worked.

My question is: How do I get more space in my Recovery D drive, since now is full, and it is probably needed in my pc, for other tasks?

I thank all of you guys so very much for your help..................

Old 08-16-2010, 10:21 PM

You don't need to manually format DVD's before using them. If you use packet writing (what Vista will call "live file system") then I believe it does some quick format on the disc but it takes care of it for you.

As someone said in another thread, that D drive isn't meant for you to use. Instead of your PC maker giving you a set of Windows, driver, and application disks, they cheaped out and put that on a separate partition on your hard drive. You see that as the D drive. If you ever need to wipe out your C drive and put it back to "out of the box" condition, you'll hit some key at bootup (maybe F10) which will launch the recovery process.

Even if there were free space on the recovery partition, its actually on the same physical disk as your C drive. So if that drive dies, so would you backup. Bottom line: Don't use that D drive for anything. Don't touch it.

Get a USB hard drive instead of CDs or DVDs, which don't hold that much anyway. I use a program called Second Copy to do my backups. Carbonite is an online backup and can be used to supplement the backups you make to your USB drive. Keep the USB drive away from the computer when not in use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers