Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 06:01 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times

Advertisements

I have a old hard drive i would like to add to my current set-up as..
A slave drive.My new computer has a connector that says slave.
There is also a power connection.Looks like all i have to do is..
Hook up the hard drive,no jumpers settings,etc
My question is when the pc boots up will it automatically adjust..
To recognize the hard drive or change bios?
I dont know anything about bios or system set-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 PM

181 posts, read 299,514 times
Well, we need to know a couple of things

Is it and IDE or SATA drive?

If it is IDE, are you using forty wire or 80 wire cables?

80 wire vs. 40 wire, plus slave hookup (click on it)

Last edited by pcbuilder; 09-01-2010 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
SATA has no concept of master/slave so if he has a connector labeled slave, I'm going to say its the middle connector of an 80 wire IDE cable.

You may need to go into the BIOS tell it there's a new drive there. You'll probably see something like primary master, primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave. If the computer is actually new, you'll probably only have one IDE interface. I'm surprised it even has that.

You may need to jumper the old drive to "cable select". That became more popular in the dying days of IDE instead of specifically jumpering each drive to master or slave. You'd set them both to cable select and the position on the cable determined their function.

Once the BIOS sees it, go to Windows Disk Management and partition & format the drive.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
SATA has no concept of master/slave so if he has a connector labeled slave, I'm going to say its the middle connector of an 80 wire IDE cable.

You may need to go into the BIOS tell it there's a new drive there. You'll probably see something like primary master, primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave. If the computer is actually new, you'll probably only have one IDE interface. I'm surprised it even has that.

You may need to jumper the old drive to "cable select". That became more popular in the dying days of IDE instead of specifically jumpering each drive to master or slave. You'd set them both to cable select and the position on the cable determined their function.

Once the BIOS sees it, go to Windows Disk Management and partition & format the drive.
There you go. Escape does it again (seriously, do whatever it was that he just told you to do!)

Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuilder View Post
Well, we need to know a couple of things

Is it and IDE or SATA drive?

If it is IDE, are you using forty wire or 80 wire cables?

80 wire vs. 40 wire, plus slave hookup (click on it)

Its a IDE,I would guess a 40wire but im not at home to look at it.
I do have a SATA as well, so i could go that way its a larger drive.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 AM

is this an older computer? Well, then again, if it uses IDE it has to be at least a couple years old. If it is from, IDK, 2002 or earlier (correct me if I'm wrong guys) then it is going to be 40 wire, but anytime really after that it would be 80 wire.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I recommend setting both drives to cable select. Let the system sort it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers