Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 18.75%
No 78 81.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
So yeah, when something goes wrong with a Mac. It's usually something like RAM, hard drives, video cards and other non-Apple stuff like that.
Don't get me wrong, I love my MBP 2010 15", but the parts you just listed cover about 90% of the laptop, what's left (motherboard, LCD screen)?

And what is the first thing that happens when you take a Mac into the Apple Store? They want to replace the logic board (=motherboard), isn't that an Apple part?

I do agree, the build quality on my MBP is second to none, it's what the HP Envy tried to duplicate, but just couldn't seem to pull off, which is why I gave up on the Envy and turned it in for a MBP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:26 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love my MBP 2010 15", but the parts you just listed cover about 90% of the laptop, what's left (motherboard, LCD screen)?

And what is the first thing that happens when you take a Mac into the Apple Store? They want to replace the logic board (=motherboard), isn't that an Apple part?

I do agree, the build quality on my MBP is second to none, it's what the HP Envy tried to duplicate, but just couldn't seem to pull off, which is why I gave up on the Envy and turned it in for a MBP.
I also thought that was a pretty funny statement. When it comes to the logic board (motherboard) in the Mac, that is made by Intel. About 70% of the current displays are made by LG, with a small portion made by a couple other sources in the name of supply line security.

At the end of the day the only thing Apple made on your Mac is the OS. Everything else is produced by third parties to Mac specs. The same third parties that also make all the parts you'll find in a "PC".

Old 12-21-2010, 02:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I also thought that was a pretty funny statement. When it comes to the logic board (motherboard) in the Mac, that is made by Intel. About 70% of the current displays are made by LG, with a small portion made by a couple other sources in the name of supply line security.

At the end of the day the only thing Apple made on your Mac is the OS. Everything else is produced by third parties to Mac specs. The same third parties that also make all the parts you'll find in a "PC".
So to bring it back to kaboom's statement: When something fails in a mac, its always someone else's fault because apple doesn't actually make any hardware. Gee, we could say the same thing about any OEM.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Except for the fact that they most likely run the exact same hardware. On the other Mac vs. PC thread, I posted and have yet to get a legit response on a hardware comparison. That one was a high end 18" Toshiba laptop vs. the 17" Macbook Pro. They ran the exact same hardware (actually the Toshiba had a slight edge with a better video card and a bigger display). The Toshiba cost $1,000 LESS than the Macbook Pro. Apple products have always carried a premium. I would never say they are bad, or they aren't good, but it becomes hard to justify the price differential for most people, regardless of how pretty the case is.
Dude, I'm not here to spoon feed you your information. I told you where you can find the info. But I'm going to make an exception and spoon feed you this one time. Since obviously you couldn't be bothered to follow the link, I just posted above. Hint: PCs are not the same hardware you get with a Mac.

Quote:
For Apple suppliers, loose lips can sink contracts

"What usually happens is that we will receive a call from Apple, and by then they usually already have some idea of what exactly they want," said an official at a component supplier, who, like nearly everyone else interviewed for this story, would speak only on condition of anonymity.

"They usually give us a couple of options, we present some stuff to them, and they look at quite a lot of samples before coming to a final decision, sometimes just weeks before the rumored launch," he said.

Apple also helps keep its components out of the mainstream by insisting on custom designs rather than off-the-shelf parts -- a practice that leaves many suppliers frustrated.

An official at a South Korean supplier who said he has participated in Apple projects complained that the company sometimes makes unreasonable requests.

"Apple also wants unique size and specifications," he said. "That means we won't be able to use a common platform or rework those components to serve other clients. And if there's any inventory left, it cannot be used any other way.
Again, a PC is not have the same parts or the same quality of hardware, that you get with a Mac. But by all means continue to delude yourself to believe that your Toshiba ten pound hulk of plastic crap = a MBP.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Dude, I'm not here to spoon feed you your information. I told you where you can find the info. But I'm going to make an exception and spoon feed you this one time. Since obviously you couldn't be bothered to follow the link, I just posted above. Hint: PCs are not the same hardware you get with a Mac.

Again, a PC is not the same parts or the same quality of hardware, that you get with a Mac. But by all means continue to delude yourself to believe that your Toshiba ten pound hulk of plastic crap = a MBP.
Do you actually read your own articles? Apple speccing something custom usually comes down to them wanting a custom size or a certain specification (like firewire that almost no one else uses). The processor, the chipsets that control the motherboard, the ram, the video card, the hard drive, the wireless, etc. ARE ALL THE SAME CORE COMPONENTS. Maybe Apple decides it wants the motherboard to be smaller and breaks with the standard ATX/mATX architecture, so it requires a custom solution, that doesn't mean the actual real hardware is any different.

There is nothing special about the i5 or i7 Intel chip running on an Intel H55 or P55 architecture in a Mac. There is nothing special about the ATI Radeon or Nvidia graphics card in a Mac. There is nothing special about the ram, or the hard drive, or anything else. Maybe if Mac used the same architecture standards that the rest of the industry used, they could cut some of their insane markup.

If you want to believe that your Mac spec components are special and use that to justify the increased cost, so be it.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So to bring it back to kaboom's statement: When something fails in a mac, its always someone else's fault because apple doesn't actually make any hardware. Gee, we could say the same thing about any OEM.
DOH, if third party hardware fails, it's the fault of the company that manufactured it. How can Apple be responsible for work that another company does?

Its Apple's responsibility to make sure that any quality control problems with their venders get fixed. Which they do a very good job at. As anyone who uses many Apple products will tell you, if you buy anything after the first generation of an Apple product, there is a 99% chance that nothing will ever go wrong with it.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
DOH, if third party hardware fails, it's the fault of the company that manufactured it. How can Apple be responsible for work that another company does?

Its Apple's responsibility to make sure that any quality control problems with their venders get fixed. Which they do a very good job at. As anyone who uses many Apple products will tell you, if you buy anything after the first generation of an Apple product, there is a 99% chance that nothing will ever go wrong with it.
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE...tell that to the people with dead iPhones, iPods, fubarred laptops and desktops that converge on the Apple store and the "Genius Bar" on a regular basis. Keep drinking the KoolAid.

HardwareGeeks.com - Apple Products Just Don’t Work? (http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/index.php/gapple/comments/apple_products_just_dont_work/ - broken link)

Old 12-21-2010, 03:15 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,816 times
Quote:
I do have to chime in here. My new MBP 13" that I got in October was having issues with the ambient light sensor. They put the light sensor on the worst place possible to detect light (next to the webcam...no I will not call it an iSight).

Anyways I took it in to the Apple store and they said they'd get me a new computer. And here is where I WILL give Apple props. When I went to get my new replacement, Apple upgraded me and gave me a 15" MBP with a 500 GB drive (I looked up the price and it was $700 more than what I paid for the original 13")!!

Old 12-21-2010, 03:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE...tell that to the people with dead iPhones, iPods, fubarred laptops and desktops that converge on the Apple store and the "Genius Bar" on a regular basis. Keep drinking the KoolAid.

HardwareGeeks.com - Apple Products Just Don’t Work? (http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/index.php/gapple/comments/apple_products_just_dont_work/ - broken link)
Yeah suggesting apple products have a 1% failure rate after the 1st year is laughable. I know so many people who say things like "Apple is great. They replaced my logic board 3 times for free this year!" Yeah, that's just great.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Do you actually read your own articles? Apple speccing something custom usually comes down to them wanting a custom size or a certain specification (like firewire that almost no one else uses). The processor, the chipsets that control the motherboard, the ram, the video card, the hard drive, the wireless, etc. ARE ALL THE SAME CORE COMPONENTS. Maybe Apple decides it wants the motherboard to be smaller and breaks with the standard ATX/mATX architecture, so it requires a custom solution, that doesn't mean the actual real hardware is any different.
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do read all articles that I post.

Quote:
There is nothing special about the i5 or i7 Intel chip running on an Intel H55 or P55 architecture in a Mac. There is nothing special about the ATI Radeon or Nvidia graphics card in a Mac.
If you believe that, then try swapping a PC video card into a Mac and see what happens. As for chips, I believe Apple is starting to do even that in-house now.

Inside the iPad: Apple's new 'A4' chip | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers