Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times

Advertisements

I just recently had to buy a new Laptop battery ($100!) and that battery didn't even last a year. I was just wondering if running my laptop without the battery was a good idea (Use AC adaptor instead). I'd use the battery sometimes, but I'm not doing too much traveling with my laptop at the time and find using the battery useless as of now.

Opinions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 11:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
It's best to run your laptop without battery if it's going to be plugged in for an extended period of time. Ideally, when you don't need your battery, it's best to store it in a cool place at 40%-60% charge on it.

Leaving your laptop battery in when you don't need it generates excess heat which in turns slowly eats away at it's life.

On a side note, it's good to cycle through the battery once every 2 months (charge fully, discharge fully, charge back to 40% to 60%).

Old 12-18-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's best to run your laptop without battery if it's going to be plugged in for an extended period of time. Ideally, when you don't need your battery, it's best to store it in a cool place at 40%-60% charge on it.

Leaving your laptop battery in when you don't need it generates excess heat which in turns slowly eats away at it's life.

On a side note, it's good to cycle through the battery once every 2 months (charge fully, discharge fully, charge back to 40% to 60%).
How long do I leave it in the freezer?? Until whenever I decide to use it??

Old 12-18-2010, 12:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
How long do I leave it in the freezer?? Until whenever I decide to use it??
The freezer trick is to extend the life of a battery that's already lost some life. Typically, you would double or triple bag it in a ziploc back and made sure that you remove as much air as possible. Leave the battery in the freezer for 24 hours and then let it thaw in open air. I've never heard of storing the battery in the freezer for the long term.

Store it in the coolest room in your home. A basement is sometimes a good place.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:29 PM

111 posts, read 289,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
... I was just wondering if running my laptop without the battery was a good idea (Use AC adaptor instead). ...

Opinions???
I use two laptops without batteries always, and they work just fine. I've been doing so for several years. You can also disable the battery monitoring software if you desire. Technically, there is no harm that can be done (that I know of anyway).

Old 12-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The freezer trick is to extend the life of a battery that's already lost some life. Typically, you would double or triple bag it in a ziploc back and made sure that you remove as much air as possible. Leave the battery in the freezer for 24 hours and then let it thaw in open air. I've never heard of storing the battery in the freezer for the long term.

Store it in the coolest room in your home. A basement is sometimes a good place.
We don't have a basement....I guess my room will have to do. I appreciate the helps, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers