Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,839,013 times

Advertisements

Antivirus 2011: Digital Defenders - PCWorld

"It was a close race overall, but Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2011 took home the top prize with its excellent malware detection, blocking, and cleanup. BitDefender Antivirus Pro 2011 and G-Data AntiVirus 2011 round out the top three."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM

1,825 posts, read 5,326,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Antivirus 2011: Digital Defenders - PCWorld

"It was a close race overall, but Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2011 took home the top prize with its excellent malware detection, blocking, and cleanup. BitDefender Antivirus Pro 2011 and G-Data AntiVirus 2011 round out the top three."
Norton must have come a long way since I used it last. In my experience Norton was a bloated pig that hoarded resources, didn't offer a free option and used the most annoying nag renewals I've ever seen.

Interesting they didn't bother reviewing MS Security Essentials. I've recently ditched Avast Free in favor of the MS option and have only good things to say. One extra huge bonus for MS Security Essentials is that I can install it on machines belonging to my computer illiterate relatives, and it doesn't give them nags and confusing upgrade notices...it just protects.

There are plenty of free options that when paired with Spybot for the occasional spyware purge, protect as well as the paid versions.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,242,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Norton must have come a long way since I used it last. In my experience Norton was a bloated pig that hoarded resources, didn't offer a free option and used the most annoying nag renewals I've ever seen.

Interesting they didn't bother reviewing MS Security Essentials. I've recently ditched Avast Free in favor of the MS option and have only good things to say. One extra huge bonus for MS Security Essentials is that I can install it on machines belonging to my computer illiterate relatives, and it doesn't give them nags and confusing upgrade notices...it just protects.

There are plenty of free options that when paired with Spybot for the occasional spyware purge, protect as well as the paid versions.
Norton 2009 was a recode from the ground up. It (and later versions) are much lighter than previous versions. I'm not saying it's the lightest or even the best, but it's definately a huge improvement.

I use Norton personally, only because I get it free from my ISP.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:03 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,295,871 times
One thing I've always been behind on is security (I know, I know).

I didn't really start using virus protection on the regular until MSE.

Norton, as another poster stated was a hog. Not only that, PCs in general were slower and thus had to cope with something running in the background on say, 512MB to 1G of RAM all on 5400RPM drives; I never got in the habit of running proactively. Rather I'd just do a manual registry scan once and a while.

That being said my older computers were infected to the max, albeit nothing bad really happened.

Today, I'm protected with MSE, router Firewalls, higher levels of encryption on my wireless signal, watch the sites and links I click on, don't open attachments, use complex passwords and things like TrueCrypt for important data and occasionally things like Glary Utilities, to keep things up to speed... yadda yadda...

However I'm dreadfully worried about keyloggers, the maturity of phishing sites and the like (I'm paranoid about URL shorteners these days). Even if you have the best protection in the world, a few mistakes can send your computer to the shop, or even jeopardize your personal info.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,071,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Norton 2009 was a recode from the ground up. It (and later versions) are much lighter than previous versions. I'm not saying it's the lightest or even the best, but it's definately a huge improvement.
They had no where to go but up, I don't think it could have gotten any worse than it was a few years ago. I still won't touch it due to the problems I've had to deal with on my clients machines that run it, but nice to know it's improving.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:27 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,255,232 times
One of the criticisms I have with Norton is they cooperate with the FBI (Magic Lantern)....

So guess who's trojan's are ignored when scanning with Norton?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,839,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
One of the criticisms I have with Norton is they cooperate with the FBI (Magic Lantern)....

So guess who's trojan's are ignored when scanning with Norton?
More software makers than you think, apparently. I haven't found a complete list anywhere.

So to keep this topic on an even keel...

"The FBI confirmed the active development of Magic Lantern, a keylogger intended to obtain passwords to encrypted e-mail and other documents during criminal investigations. Magic Lantern was first reported in the media by Bob Sullivan of MSNBC on 20 November 2001 and by Ted Bridis of the Associated Press.[27][28] The FBI intends to deploy Magic Lantern in the form of an e-mail attachment. When the attachment is opened, it installs a trojan horse on the suspect's computer, which is activated when the suspect uses PGP encryption, often used to increase the security of sent e-mail messages. When activated, the trojan will log the PGP password, which allows the FBI to decrypt user communications.[29][30] Symantec and other major antivirus vendors have whitelisted the Magic Lantern trojan, rendering their antivirus products, including Norton AntiVirus, incapable of detecting it."

Norton AntiVirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
They had no where to go but up, I don't think it could have gotten any worse than it was a few years ago. I still won't touch it due to the problems I've had to deal with on my clients machines that run it, but nice to know it's improving.
Were your clients home users? Norton really has no place on business computers.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,534,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Were your clients home users? Norton really has no place on business computers.
That doesn't mean millions of business users aren't running Home editions of Windows and consumer version of Norton, McCrappy, etc.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That doesn't mean millions of business users aren't running Home editions of Windows and consumer version of Norton, McCrappy, etc.
Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers